Contour integration over Riemann surface

In summary: It is possible to integrate a function over a closed path on a Riemann surface if the winding number of the path around the point z=0 is zero.
Adel Makram
Cauchy integral theorem states that the contour integration of a complex harmonic function along a closed simply connected path=0. What if this simply connected path is drawn over a Riemann surface of function like ##f(z)=\sqrt z##. Will that be possible in the first place? and will the integration over that path yield zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
Adel Makram said:
Cauchy integral theorem states that the contour integration of a complex harmonic function along a closed simply connected path=0. What if this simply connected path is drawn over a Riemann surface of function like ##f(z)=\sqrt z##. Will that be possible in the first place? and will the integration over that path yield zero?
As long as the winding number of the path around the point z=0 is 0, the integral will be 0.

FactChecker said:
As long as the winding number of the path around the point z=0 is 0, the integral will be 0.
Is the winding number really 0? If we move counterclockwise over Riemann surface representing the real part of ##f(z)=\sqrt z## we will end on an infinite looping around ##z=0## switching from the positive to the negative roots.

It is not guaranteed that the winding number is 0. That is essential. For closed paths that do not wind around zero, the integral is 0.

FactChecker said:
It is not guaranteed that the winding number is 0. That is essential. For closed paths that do not wind around zero, the integral is 0.
I don`t get it. If a closed path is taken around ##z=0## in the complex flat plane, the integral of ##f(z)=\sqrt z## vanishes. But in my case, what is the value of the integration with a closed path winding around ##z=0## in Riemann surface that describe the same function?

Adel Makram said:
I don`t get it. If a closed path is taken around ##z=0## in the complex flat plane, the integral of ##f(z)=\sqrt z## vanishes. But in my case, what is the value of the integration with a closed path winding around ##z=0## in Riemann surface that describe the same function?
I think the reference to a 'closed path' is to a closed path in the Riemann surface, not in the domain of the 'function' (by the way ##z\mapsto \sqrt z## is not a function because it doesn't give unique results). I am not sure that there is any closed path on the Riemann surface in ##\mathbb C^2## generated by the relation ##z_2{}^2=z_1## (which is a more careful way of expressing the square root notion), whose ##z_1## coordinate winds around 0.

If that's correct then the integral of any sufficiently nice function along a closed path on that Riemann surface will be zero.

Hi, I agree with the ideas of @andrewkirk because a closed path that contains the zero on the riemann surface ##f=z^2## seems not viable. I want to be precise, the ##0## must be in the interior of the support of the path and I don't think this is possible.
In the end the case where ##0## is not inside the path was explained before ...

Adel Makram said:
It occurs to me that the meaning of the integral is not clear in the question. The Riemann surface ##R## is a one-dimensional complex manifold that is embedded in ##\mathbb C^2##. We can define a function ##f:R\to\mathbb C## and we can define a simple, closed curve in ##R## as a function ##\gamma:[0,1]\to R## that is continuous when we interpret ##R## as a two-dimensional subset of 4D Euclidean space, such that ##\gamma(0)=\gamma(1)##. But I cannot see any obvious interpretation of the notion of a 'line integral' of ##f## along ##\gamma##. Note that ##f## takes two complex arguments, rather than one.

For a loop integral of ##g:\mathbb C\to\mathbb C## around a loop ##\eta## in the complex plane we have the simple formulation
$$\oint_\eta g(z)\,dz=\int_0^1 g(\eta(t))\eta'(t)\,dt$$

There is no immediately obvious (to me) equivalent of this when the function to be integrated has a domain in ##\mathbb C^2## rather than ##\mathbb C##. Some form of complex Jacobean may be needed. But then I have never studied complex manifolds. Perhaps there is a standard definition of a line integral of a function on a complex manifold. Presumably it would use the metric on the manifold. What would the standard metric on ##\mathbb C^2## be? Would it just be
$$ds^2=dz_1{}^2+dz_2{}^2$$

Ssnow said:
on the riemann surface f=z2f=z^2 seems

Sorry I correct myself ##f=\sqrt{z}##

Adel Makram said:
That's tricky ;-). If you integrate over a closed path in the Riemann surface, it gives 0. To demonstrate that on your example take the usual Riemann surface for the square-root function by cutting along the negative real axis. Now a closed curve around 0 must run over the two sheets ("double cover" of the complex plane). Let's take a circle. The first sheet is starting from ##\text{arg} z=-\pi## and runs to ##\text{arg} z=\pi##. On this sheet you have along the unit circle
$$\sqrt{z}=\sqrt{\exp(\mathrm{i} \varphi)}=\exp(\mathrm{i} \varphi/2), \quad \varphi = \text{arg} z \in (-\pi,\pi)$$
Then you enter the 2nd sheet of the Riemann surface, where you have
$$\sqrt{z}=-\sqrt{\exp(\mathrm{i} \varphi)}=-\exp(\mathrm{i} \varphi/2) \quad \varphi =\text{arg} z \in (-\pi,\pi)$$
Only then you close the circle and thus you get trivially 0.

Equivalently you can also integrate ##\exp(\mathrm{i} \varphi/2)## along ##\varphi \in (-\pi,3 \pi)##, which covers also the two branches of the square-root function, and it gives of course also 0.

Likes Ssnow
My understanding is that Riemann conceived of his idea in order to devise a coordinate system in which multi-valued functions become single-valued so that the foundation of Complex Analysis of single-valued functions could be applied to multivalued functions. The normal Riemann surface for the square root is a Riemann sphere with a double covering of the complex plane mapped onto it conformally with every point on the sphere equal to ##(z,\sqrt{z})##. And therefore for the function ##f(z)=\sqrt{z}## over this new coordinate system, we have the simple linear function ##f(z,w)=w## which is an entire function zero over any closed contour over its Riemann surface. Contrast this with ##f(z)=\sqrt{z}+\frac{k}{z}##. What do you suppose the integral of this function over a closed contour (winding number of one) about the point ##(0,\infty)## over it's Riemann surface is? ##4k\pi i##? What about ##f(z)=\sqrt[n]{z}+\frac{k}{z}##? ##2nk\pi i##? What might the Riemann surface of ##\sqrt[n]{z}## even look like? I imagine it like one of those cantelopes with deep furrows with each section between the furrows corresponding to one copy of the z-plane. Once this perspective is taken, we can then re-cast the Residue Theorem for multivalued functions over their normal Riemann surfaces, then Laurent's Theorem and then all the other theorems for single-valued functions.
For example, the Laurent series for ##\sqrt{z}## is ##\sqrt{z}##, the series for ##\sqrt{z}+\frac{1}{z}## is ##\frac{1}{\left(\sqrt{z}\right)^2}+\sqrt{z}##. That was easy. What would the Laurent series for ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{z(z-1)(z-2)}}## be about the point ##(0,0)## over its Riemann surface? But if you know that all the theorems of single-valued functions apply to multivalued functions over their Riemann surface, how might you calculate the coefficients for this series expansion? Use Laurent's Theorem.

Last edited:

1. What is contour integration over Riemann surface?

Contour integration over Riemann surface is a technique in complex analysis where the integral of a complex-valued function is evaluated along a curve on a Riemann surface. It is used to solve problems in areas such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. What is a Riemann surface?

A Riemann surface is a geometric object that generalizes the concept of a complex plane. It is a one-dimensional complex manifold, which means that it can be described by complex coordinates. Riemann surfaces are important in complex analysis as they provide a framework for understanding the behavior of complex functions.

3. What is a contour in contour integration over Riemann surface?

In contour integration, a contour is a curve that is used to evaluate the integral of a complex function over a Riemann surface. The contour is chosen such that it encloses the singularities of the function and is simple enough to allow for easy calculation of the integral.

4. What are the benefits of using contour integration over Riemann surface?

Contour integration over Riemann surface allows for the evaluation of complex integrals that may be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. It also provides a visual representation of the integral, which can aid in understanding the behavior of the function.

5. What are some applications of contour integration over Riemann surface?

Contour integration over Riemann surface has many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used in the study of electromagnetic fields, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. It also has applications in number theory, algebraic geometry, and topology.