Contour integration - reversing orientation

In summary: Yes, that is correct.There are other alternatives to parametrize the opposite contour though. One possibility is to choose the parameter interval as the same as the original one: ##a\le t\le b##, and define ##z_2(t)=z_1(a+b-t)##, but your parametrization is simpler.
Frank Castle
I have been reading through "Complex Analysis for Mathematics & Engineering" by J. Matthews and R.Howell, and I'm a bit confused about the way in which they have parametrised the opposite orientation of a contour ##\mathcal{C}##.

Using their notation, consider a contour ##\mathcal{C}## with parametrisation $$\mathcal{C}:\;z_{1}(t)=x(t)+iy(t)\,,\;\;\; a\leq t\leq b$$ Then the opposite curve ##-\mathcal{C}## traces out the same set of points but in the reverse order, and it has the parametrisation $$-\mathcal{C}:\;z_{2}(t)=x(-t)+iy(-t)\,,\;\;\; -a\leq t\leq -b$$ They then go on to say that since ##z_{2}(t)=z_{1}(-t)##, it is easy to see that ##-\mathcal{C}## is merely ##\mathcal{C}## traversed in the opposite sense.

However, I don't quite see why the contour ##-\mathcal{C}## is parametrised this way? Naively, I would've though it would be something like $$-\mathcal{C}:\;z_{2}(t)=x(t)+iy(t)\,,\;\;\; b\leq t\leq a$$

Furthermore, how does one show that if two contours ##\mathcal{C}_{1}## and ##\mathcal{C}_{2}## are placed end to end, such that the terminal point of ##\mathcal{C}_{1}## coincides with the initial point ##\mathcal{C}_{2}##, then the integral over the contour ##\mathcal{C}=\mathcal{C}_{1}+\mathcal{C}_{2}## has the property $$\int_{\mathcal{C}}f(z)dz=\int_{\mathcal{C}_{1}+\mathcal{C}_{2}}f(z)dz= \int_{\mathcal{C}_{1}}f(z)dz+\int_{\mathcal{C}_{2}}f(z)dz$$ Would one use the following parametrisations: $$\mathcal{C}_{1}:\;z(t)=x(t)+iy(t)\,,\;\;\; a\leq t\leq b\\ \mathcal{C}_{2}:\;z(t)=x(t)+iy(t)\,,\;\;\; b\leq t\leq c$$ Then, $$\int_{\mathcal{C}_{1}}f(z)dz+\int_{\mathcal{C}_{2}}f(z)dz=\int_{a}^{b}f(z(t))z'(t)dt+\int_{b}^{c}f(z(t))z'(t)dt=\int_{a}^{c}f(z(t))z'(t)dt=\int_{\mathcal{C}_{1}+\mathcal{C}_{2}}f(z)dz=\int_{\mathcal{C}}f(z)dz$$ where $$\mathcal{C}:\;z(t)=x(t)+iy(t)\,,\;\;\; a\leq t\leq c$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Frank Castle said:
I have been reading through "Complex Analysis for Mathematics & Engineering" by J. Matthews and R.Howell, and I'm a bit confused about the way in which they have parametrised the opposite orientation of a contour ##\mathcal{C}##.

Using their notation, consider a contour ##\mathcal{C}## with parametrisation $$\mathcal{C}:\;z_{1}(t)=x(t)+iy(t)\,,\;\;\; a\leq t\leq b$$ Then the opposite curve ##-\mathcal{C}## traces out the same set of points but in the reverse order, and it has the parametrisation $$-\mathcal{C}:\;z_{2}(t)=x(-t)+iy(-t)\,,\;\;\; -a\leq t\leq -b$$
You must have ##-b\le t\le -a##, since ##-a>-b##.
They then go on to say that since ##z_{2}(t)=z_{1}(-t)##, it is easy to see that ##-\mathcal{C}## is merely ##\mathcal{C}## traversed in the opposite sense.

However, I don't quite see why the contour ##-\mathcal{C}## is parametrised this way? Naively, I would've though it would be something like $$-\mathcal{C}:\;z_{2}(t)=x(t)+iy(t)\,,\;\;\; b\leq t\leq a$$
You can't have ##b\le t\le a##, since ##b>a##.
Furthermore, how does one show that if two contours ##\mathcal{C}_{1}## and ##\mathcal{C}_{2}## are placed end to end, such that the terminal point of ##\mathcal{C}_{1}## coincides with the initial point ##\mathcal{C}_{2}##, then the integral over the contour ##\mathcal{C}=\mathcal{C}_{1}+\mathcal{C}_{2}## has the property $$\int_{\mathcal{C}}f(z)dz=\int_{\mathcal{C}_{1}+\mathcal{C}_{2}}f(z)dz= \int_{\mathcal{C}_{1}}f(z)dz+\int_{\mathcal{C}_{2}}f(z)dz$$ Would one use the following parametrisations: $$\mathcal{C}_{1}:\;z(t)=x(t)+iy(t)\,,\;\;\; a\leq t\leq b\\ \mathcal{C}_{2}:\;z(t)=x(t)+iy(t)\,,\;\;\; b\leq t\leq c$$ Then, $$\int_{\mathcal{C}_{1}}f(z)dz+\int_{\mathcal{C}_{2}}f(z)dz=\int_{a}^{b}f(z(t))z'(t)dt+\int_{b}^{c}f(z(t))z'(t)dt=\int_{a}^{c}f(z(t))z'(t)dt=\int_{\mathcal{C}_{1}+\mathcal{C}_{2}}f(z)dz=\int_{\mathcal{C}}f(z)dz$$ where $$\mathcal{C}:\;z(t)=x(t)+iy(t)\,,\;\;\; a\leq t\leq c$$
Yes, this is the simplest way to do this.

Erland said:
You must have −b≤t≤−a−b≤t≤−a-b\le t\le -a, since −a>−b

Apologies, I must've misquoted the book on this bit.
Is the point that if we want to traverse the contour in the opposite direction then we must choose the parameter such that it ranges in the opposite direction, but since ##b>a## we must consider ##-a## and ##-b## such that ##-b<-a## and ##-b<t<-a##. Since the contour is the same, but simply being traversed in the opposite direction we require the value of ##z_{2}(t)## for ##t=-b## to coincide with the value of ##z_{1}(t)## for ##t=b##, and similarly for all other points in the range, hence we require that ##z_{2}(t)=x(-t)+iy(-t)=z_{1}(-t)##. As such, we have that ##z_{2}(-b)=z_{1}(b)## and ##z_{2}(-a)=z_{1}(a)## as required.

Likes shinobi20
Frank Castle said:
Apologies, I must've misquoted the book on this bit.
Is the point that if we want to traverse the contour in the opposite direction then we must choose the parameter such that it ranges in the opposite direction, but since ##b>a## we must consider ##-a## and ##-b## such that ##-b<-a## and ##-b<t<-a##. Since the contour is the same, but simply being traversed in the opposite direction we require the value of ##z_{2}(t)## for ##t=-b## to coincide with the value of ##z_{1}(t)## for ##t=b##, and similarly for all other points in the range, hence we require that ##z_{2}(t)=x(-t)+iy(-t)=z_{1}(-t)##. As such, we have that ##z_{2}(-b)=z_{1}(b)## and ##z_{2}(-a)=z_{1}(a)## as required.
Yes, that is correct.

There are other alternatives to parametrize the opposite contour though. One possibility is to choose the parameter interval as the same as the originial one: ##a\le t\le b##, and define ##z_2(t)=z_1(a+b-t)##, but your parametrization is simpler, in my opinion.

Frank Castle said:

Would be very beneficial to you if you did some experimenting Frank. Sounds like the book meant a closed contour with for example ##x(t)=\cos(t)## and ##y(t)=\sin(t)## but you should confirm that experimentally for example in Mathematica: actually set up a ParametricPlot with those parameters preferably in a Manipulate context and then run the controls to visually convince yourself that the path is reversed. This I believe will help you greatly later on when the question is not so easy and you will have by then experience investigating Complex Analysis experimentally.

Erland said:
Yes, that is correct.

There are other alternatives to parametrize the opposite contour though. One possibility is to choose the parameter interval as the same as the originial one: ##a\le t\le b##, and define ##z_2(t)=z_1(a+b-t)##, but your parametrization is simpler, in my opinion.

Ah ok. I think I get it now. Thanks for your help!

aheight said:
Would be very beneficial to you if you did some experimenting Frank. Sounds like the book meant a closed contour with for example ##x(t)=\cos(t)## and ##y(t)=\sin(t)## but you should confirm that experimentally for example in Mathematica: actually set up a ParametricPlot with those parameters preferably in a Manipulate context and then run the controls to visually convince yourself that the path is reversed. This I believe will help you greatly later on when the question is not so easy and you will have by then experience investigating Complex Analysis experimentally.

Good idea. I'll have a go.

1. What is contour integration?

Contour integration is a mathematical technique used to evaluate complex integrals. It involves integrating over a path or curve (contour) in the complex plane instead of along a straight line.

2. What does it mean to reverse the orientation of a contour?

Reversing the orientation of a contour means changing the direction in which the curve is traversed. This can be done by reversing the order of the points that make up the contour, or by applying a transformation that flips the curve.

3. Why is reversing the orientation of a contour important?

Reversing the orientation of a contour can be useful in evaluating certain integrals. In some cases, it can simplify the calculation or result in a different value for the integral.

4. How do you reverse the orientation of a contour?

To reverse the orientation of a contour, you can either change the order of the points that make up the contour or apply a transformation such as a reflection or rotation. The method used will depend on the specific contour and integral being evaluated.

5. Are there any applications of contour integration - reversing orientation in real-world problems?

Yes, contour integration - reversing orientation has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is commonly used in the study of electromagnetic fields, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics, among others.