Control volume and the momentum theorem

In summary, the notes state that "Newton’s second law for a control volume of fixed mass" is valid for a fixed mass control volume, but that this equation is only valid for a control volume if the mass can vary. Furthermore, the notes stress that this equation is similar to the equation found in books on Fluid Mechanics, but that White's equation is not exactly the same.
arestes
I'm studying fluid and propulsion mechanics by myself.

I stumbled upon this website from MIT: http://web.mit.edu/16.unified/www/S...opulsion2/UnifiedPropulsion2.htm#fallingblock

It states that "Newton’s second law for a control volume of fixed mass" is $$\sum \vec{F}=\int_Vρ\frac{D}{dt}(\vec{u}_ 0+\vec{u})dV$$ but it's said that this is valid for a fixed mass control volume. $$\vec{u}_0$$ is the velocity of a reference frame attached to the control volume and $$\vec{u}$$ is the velocity of fluid relative to this moving frame.

The notes then goes on to derive this formula: $$\sum {F}_x-{F_0}_x=\int_V\frac{\partial}{\partial t}(ρ{u_x} dV+\int_S u_x(ρ \vec{u}\cdot \vec{n} dA$$
where $${F_0}_x$$ is basically $$ma_x$$.

So far so good. However, I still don't understand why this equation is only valid for a control volume with fixed mass. Moreover, we're allowing the control volume to change its mass with by having the boundary term.

This is even stressed in the quizz accompanying these notes: https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/aeronau...all-2005-spring-2006/thermo-propulsion/q6.PDF

where the solution starts by remarking the validity of this equation depending on this assumption.

This seems to contradict books on Fluid Mechanics, where the mass can vary and they reach this similar equation (or maybe it's not the same equation?). For example Frank White's book equation 3.35:
$$\sum \vec{F}=\frac{d}{dt}\int_V (ρ{\vec{v}}) dV+\int_S\vec{v}ρ\vec{v}_r \cdot \vec{n} dA$$I can see that White's equation is not exactly the same but I'm trying to prove they are by expanding $$\vec{v}$$ and $$\vec{v}_r =\vec{v}-\vec{v}_{control volume}$$ (V relative to Earth, inertial frame and $$v_r$$ is a relative velocity with respect to the control volume).

I think I'm missing something here.

So basically, I'm wondering: Is the requirement of fixed mass even right? Considering that there is a boundary term.
If so, what would be the general equation for non-fixed mass control volume?

Physics news on Phys.org
The point is the exchange of the time derivatives from inside the integral to the outside of the integral. If the volume ##V## is time dependent you have to take care about the temporal change when taking the time derivative out of the integral.

vanhees71 said:
The point is the exchange of the time derivatives from inside the integral to the outside of the integral. If the volume ##V## is time dependent you have to take care about the temporal change when taking the time derivative out of the integral.
Yes, but how does that relate to the requirement mentioned in those notes about the mass being fixed? That requirement seems odd to me since this whole momentum balance, I think, considers loss or gain of mass.

I think what's meant is that you consider the movement of a "material element" of the fluid, and that's why there's the "material time derivative",
$$\mathrm{D}_t \vec{v}=\partial_t \vec{v} + (\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla}) \vec{v}$$
under the integral, and this is the acceleration of a material fluid element.

Obviously you deal with non-relativistic particles, which implies that also mass is conserved, i.e., also the local conservation equation (continuity equation) for mass holds, i.e.,
$$\partial_t \rho + \vec{\nabla} \cdot (\rho \vec{v})=0,$$
where ##\rho \vec{v}=\vec{j}## is the mass-current density.

1. What is a control volume in fluid mechanics?

A control volume is a hypothetical region in space that is used to analyze the flow of fluids. It can be any shape or size, and is often used to study the behavior of fluids as they move through a system or interact with their surroundings.

2. How is the momentum theorem applied to a control volume?

The momentum theorem states that the net force acting on a control volume is equal to the change in momentum of the fluid within that volume. This can be applied by considering the forces acting on the control volume, such as pressure and shear forces, and how they contribute to the change in momentum of the fluid.

3. What is the significance of the momentum theorem in fluid mechanics?

The momentum theorem is a fundamental principle in fluid mechanics that allows for the analysis of fluid flow and the calculation of forces and velocities. It is used in a variety of applications, including designing efficient fluid systems and predicting the behavior of fluids in different scenarios.

4. How does the control volume approach differ from the Eulerian and Lagrangian methods?

The control volume approach focuses on a specific region in space and analyzes the flow of fluid through that region. The Eulerian method, on the other hand, looks at the flow at a fixed point in space, while the Lagrangian method follows individual particles of fluid as they move through the system.

5. Can the momentum theorem be applied to non-ideal fluids?

Yes, the momentum theorem can be applied to both ideal and non-ideal fluids. However, in non-ideal fluids, additional factors such as viscosity and turbulence must be taken into account in order to accurately calculate the forces and velocities within the control volume.