Conversation page/post count bug

• Bug
  • Thread starter Ibix
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation this morning reported 24 replies, which matched the visible posts. However, the most recent post according to the conversation summary was posted an hour earlier than the most recent visible post. When another reply was added, the missing post appeared on the second page but the reply count remained one too low. This issue is common in forums due to the calculation of reply numbers, which is stored in the database and can become inconsistent. The suggested workaround is to manually add "/page-2" to the URL. Recalculation of numbers is difficult to do with conversation messages.
Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
I posted in a conversation this morning and couldn't see it.

The conversation reported 24 replies, which matched what was visible (OP+24 replies). However, the conversation summary reported that the most recent post was by me at 6.36am, but the most recent visible post was by the other guy in the conversation about an hour earlier - the post to which I responded. There was no "page 2" indicator.

Adding another reply made the usual page navigation tools appear and the "missing" post is now visible as the first post on page two, but the reply count is still one too low. Presumably a similar issue will arise when we start page three.

Possibly relevant: due to a slow connection I accidentally double-posted in the thread, then edited the second copy to a "please ignore" message. They do appear to have distinct post numbers, but it's the only "odd" thing thing I can think of.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a problem basically all forums have. Calculating the number of replies from the replies every time would generate too much load so that number is stored in the database. If the number becomes inconsistent (typically because something goes wrong with posting) then the wrong value might stick around for a while. What might work if one reply is on the hidden second page: Add "/page-2" to the URL manually.
Often forums re-calculate things if something is deleted, but that is difficult with conversation messages.

Thanks @mfb. It doesn't seem to be recalculating at all (it's still one short), but I'll remember the workaround if we get to the next page.

1. What is the "Conversation page/post count bug"?

The "Conversation page/post count bug" is a software glitch that affects the accuracy of the page and post counts on social media platforms. It occurs when the page or post count does not update correctly, resulting in an incorrect number being displayed.

2. How does the "Conversation page/post count bug" impact social media users?

The "Conversation page/post count bug" can be frustrating for social media users as it can give them an inaccurate representation of their page or post activity. It can also make it difficult to track engagement and reach on their posts.

3. What causes the "Conversation page/post count bug"?

The exact cause of the "Conversation page/post count bug" can vary depending on the social media platform. It can be caused by server issues, coding errors, or glitches in the algorithm used to calculate page and post counts.

4. How can the "Conversation page/post count bug" be fixed?

The "Conversation page/post count bug" can be fixed by the social media platform's technical team. They will need to identify the root cause of the issue and make the necessary updates to the code or servers to resolve it. Users can also report the bug to the platform's support team.

5. Is there a way to prevent the "Conversation page/post count bug" from happening?

Unfortunately, there is no guaranteed way to prevent the "Conversation page/post count bug" from happening. However, users can try refreshing the page or logging out and back in to see if that updates the count. They can also try accessing the platform from a different device or browser to see if the issue persists.