Converse Statement of Uniform Continuity

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that a function f:A \rightarrow \mathbb R is uniformly continuous if it preserves Cauchy sequences in A. The speaker suggests using the contrapositive to show that if A is not bounded, then f is not uniformly continuous. However, another participant points out that A needs to be compact for this approach to work.
CoachZ
Recently, I proved that Given [tex]f:A \rightarrow \mathbb R[/tex] is uniformly continuous and [tex](x_{n}) \subseteq A[/tex] is a Cauchy Sequence, then [tex]f(x_{n})[/tex] is a Cauchy sequence, which really isn't too difficult a proof, however I'm having issues with the converse statement... More specifically, Suppose [tex]A \subseteq \mathbb R[/tex] and [tex]f: A \rightarrow \mathbb R[/tex] with the property that it preserves Cauchy sequences in [tex]A[/tex], i.e. [tex]x_{n} \in A[/tex] and [tex]{x_{n}}[/tex] is Cauchy, [tex]{f(x_{n})}[/tex] is Cauchy, then prove that [tex]f[/tex] is uniformly continuous on [tex]A[/tex]

My idea was to show by way of contradiction that the boundedness of [tex]A[/tex] cannot be removed, which would then imply that [tex]x_{n}[/tex] is not Cauchy if it were removed, which implies that [tex]f(x_{n})[/tex] is not Cauchy. From this point, I'm a bit stuck... I was under that impression that I could use Cauchy Criterion, which states that a sequence converges iff it is a Cauchy sequence, and since [tex]x_{n}[/tex] isn't a Cauchy sequence, then it doesn't converge, which implies that it cannot be continuous on all points in [tex]\mathbb R[/tex], which implies that it is not continuous on [tex]\mathbb R[/tex], therefore cannot be uniform continuous on [tex]\mathbb R[/tex].

Perhaps contrapositive would work better? Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the best way to handle this is to look at the contrapositive, since that's a good way to generate sequences. From the perspective of the contrapositive, we can basically always pick two points x and y arbitrarily close while their images are a fixed distance apart. It shouldn't be too hard to show that this would imply that we can find a sequence that is Cauchy (eventually any two terms are arbitrarily close), but the image sequence is not Cauchy (images of terms are a fixed distance apart).

What about f(x) = x2?

Good point, you need A to be compact for this to work.

What is a converse statement of uniform continuity?

A converse statement of uniform continuity is a statement that asserts the relationship between the uniform continuity of a function and the properties of its limit points. In other words, it describes how a function behaves near its limit points and how this behavior affects its continuity.

How is a converse statement of uniform continuity different from a direct statement of uniform continuity?

A direct statement of uniform continuity is a statement that describes the properties of a function that ensure its uniform continuity. On the other hand, a converse statement of uniform continuity describes how the uniform continuity of a function affects its limit points.

What are the key components of a converse statement of uniform continuity?

The key components of a converse statement of uniform continuity are the function in question, its limit points, and the conditions that must be met for the function to be uniformly continuous at its limit points.

What is the significance of a converse statement of uniform continuity in mathematics?

A converse statement of uniform continuity is significant in mathematics because it allows us to understand how the uniform continuity of a function affects its behavior near its limit points. This understanding is crucial in many mathematical proofs and applications.

Can a converse statement of uniform continuity be proven using mathematical techniques?

Yes, a converse statement of uniform continuity can be proven using mathematical techniques such as epsilon-delta proofs and limit theorems. These techniques allow us to rigorously show the relationship between the uniform continuity of a function and its limit points.