Converstion of radiant flux (watts) to temperature (C)

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on how to quantify the temperature inside an optical system with multiple LEDs and a reflector, in order to determine the appropriate coating specification. They mention the Stefan-Boltzmann law as a possible equation to use, but also acknowledge that other factors such as emissivity and heat dispersion need to be considered.
Joel DB
Hey all,
I'm having some unique challenges on an optical system I've created, where I'm arraying several LEDs under 1 optic/reflector. We're beginning to see major degradation of the metallic coating that is applied to the part, and I'm tyring to quanitfy the temperature (converted from radiant flux incident on the reflector surface) at the surface of the reflector. I need to know what temperatures we're seeing inside the optic so I can recommend a coating specifiation for a vendor.

Seems the internet is flooded with things, or I could rewind back to some physics textbooks, but trying the forum first, in case there are any good suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
JD

Physics news on Phys.org
Joel DB said:
Hey all,
I'm having some unique challenges on an optical system I've created, where I'm arraying several LEDs under 1 optic/reflector. We're beginning to see major degradation of the metallic coating that is applied to the part, and I'm tyring to quanitfy the temperature (converted from radiant flux incident on the reflector surface) at the surface of the reflector. I need to know what temperatures we're seeing inside the optic so I can recommend a coating specifiation for a vendor.

Seems the internet is flooded with things, or I could rewind back to some physics textbooks, but trying the forum first, in case there are any good suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
JD

In the most basic case of only radiative emission I'd say you could simply consider the Stefan-Boltzmann law:

$$J=\sigma T^4$$

where J is your incoming flux by unit of surface and ##\sigma## is a known physical constant. Of course this assumes black body behaviour and no other forms of heat dispersion. If you assume a grey body (namely that your optic reflects and absorbs equal percentages of radiation at all wavelengths) nothing really changes because if J is the flux you already know is coming then both sides of the equation get multiplied by the emissivity ##\epsilon##. If instead you add another 'sink' of heat, like some conduction mechanism with thermal resistance R, then you have

$$\epsilon J = \epsilon \sigma T^4 + \frac{(T-T_{room})}{R}$$

and that further lowers your equilibrium temperature.

1. How do you convert watts to temperature?

The conversion from watts to temperature depends on the material and surface area being considered. In general, it involves using the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which relates the radiant flux (watts) to the temperature. The formula is T = (P/Aσ)^1/4, where T is the temperature in Kelvin, P is the radiant flux in watts, A is the surface area, and σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant (5.67 x 10^-8 W/m^2K^4).

2. Is it possible to convert watts to degrees Celsius?

Yes, it is possible to convert watts to degrees Celsius by using the formula T (in °C) = (P/Aσ)^1/4 - 273.15, where T is the temperature in degrees Celsius, P is the radiant flux in watts, A is the surface area, and σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant.

3. What is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant?

The Stefan-Boltzmann constant (σ) is a physical constant that relates the energy emitted by a blackbody (perfect absorber and emitter) to its temperature. Its value is approximately 5.67 x 10^-8 W/m^2K^4. It is commonly used in calculations involving the conversion of radiant flux to temperature.

4. Can the conversion from watts to temperature be used for all materials?

No, the conversion from watts to temperature using the Stefan-Boltzmann law is only applicable to blackbodies or materials that closely resemble blackbodies. Real-world materials may have different emissivity values, which would affect the accuracy of the conversion.

5. Are there any other methods for converting watts to temperature?

Yes, there are other methods for converting watts to temperature, such as using measurement devices like thermocouples or infrared cameras. These methods may be more precise and applicable to a wider range of materials, but they also require specialized equipment and may be more time-consuming.