Convert AgCl to AgNO3 - Ideas Inside

• Thread starter zzac
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a titration lab involving water, Na2Cr04, and AgNO3 to determine the amount of chlorine in the water. The question is how to convert AgCl back to AgNO3. Suggestions include using CuNO3 or HNO3, but it is noted that AgCl is insoluble in water and acids. Other potential solutions involve complexing AgCl with ammonia or using NaOH to form a precipitate, which can then be filtered and reacted with nitric acid to produce AgNO3. However, it is mentioned that these methods may not be successful.
zzac

Homework Statement

In a titration lab we had water in it with Na2Cr04 and used AgNO3 to precipitate the Cl ions in the water and thus determine the amount of chlorine in the water. We were then left with AgCl in the beaker and poured it into a waste beaker. Now our teacher wants us to figure out how to convert the AgCl back to AgNO3. I have some ideas but not sure if they will work.

Homework Equations

AgCl + ? -> AgNO3
ksp of agcl= 1.8E-10, ksp of hcl = 1.1E-11, ksp cucl= 1.6E-7

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that cuno3 could potentially remove the cl by the copper bonding with it. Then if a preciptiate forms and HNO3 and then have the NO3 bond with ag to get agno3. Again not too sure and any help much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Erm Nitric acid?

AgCl + HNO3 ----> AgNO3 + HCl ?

Looks bout right :)

I thought so too, but apparently silver chloride is insoluble in water and acids. I think I have to to something like form a precipitate with the chloride and then filter out and then add N03, I am more confused about how to form the precipitate.

You can dissolve AgCl complexing it.

Note that it is a known problem, for ideas google for reclaiming silver from the spent photographic fixer.

What about this:
AgCl + NH4Oh = AgOH + NH4Cl
AgOH = Ag2O
Ag2O is a precipitate, so filter out
Then: Ag20 + HNO3 = AgNO3 + H2O

You can either test the idea adding ammonia solution to the AgCl precipitate, or calculate the equilibrium using known values of solubility product.

IMHO neither approach is going to yield any success.

In case anyone wanted to know the ammonia didn't work in the lab but when NaOH + H20 was mixed with AgCl(s) a precipitate formed. Then used vacuum filtration to separate precipitate then added the nitric acid which produced AgNO3.

1. What is the purpose of converting AgCl to AgNO3?

The purpose of this conversion is to obtain a more soluble form of silver chloride. AgNO3 is highly soluble in water, making it easier to work with in experiments and other applications.

2. What are the steps involved in converting AgCl to AgNO3?

The first step is to dissolve the AgCl in water, followed by the addition of nitric acid. The mixture is then heated to form silver nitrate and hydrochloric acid. Finally, the solution is filtered to remove any remaining solid particles.

3. Can this conversion be done in a lab setting?

Yes, this conversion can be easily performed in a lab. However, caution should be taken when handling nitric acid, as it is a corrosive substance.

4. What are some common uses of AgNO3?

AgNO3 has many uses in various industries and fields. It is commonly used in photography, silver plating, and as a disinfectant. It is also used in the production of other chemicals and as a reagent in chemical reactions.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when converting AgCl to AgNO3?

Yes, as mentioned before, nitric acid should be handled with care as it is corrosive. It is also important to wear gloves and safety goggles when handling any chemicals. Proper ventilation is also necessary when working with chemicals in a lab setting.