Convert Perspective picture to Ortho picture for CAD

In summary, the speaker wants to take a picture of a 3D object and import it into CAD to trace it. However, the issue is that the camera takes a 3D perspective image, making it impossible to trace in CAD. They are wondering if there is a way to convert the image from perspective to orthogonal or create a coordinate system in CAD that is perspective instead of orthogonal. The speaker clarifies that the image is a normal camera picture and they want to convert it into a 3D orthogonal CAD object. They also mention that the object is geometric and taking multiple pictures would be possible. To solve this problem, they suggest using techniques such as 3D reconstruction from multiple images, 3D data acquisition and object
SSGD
I want to take a picture of an object. Then import the image into cad. And trace it. The issue I am having is the picture from the camera is a 3D perspective image. So it is impossible for me to trace in CAD.

Is there a way to convert an image from perspective to orthogonal? Or create a coordinate system in cad that is perspective instead of orthogonal.

Engineering news on Phys.org
SSGD said:
Is there a way to convert an image from perspective to orthogonal?
I assume you have a 2D picture of a 3D world, with a perspective vanishing point that can be located in 2D. Do you want a 2D orthogonal or a 3D orthogonal image?

SSGD said:
Or create a coordinate system in cad that is perspective instead of orthogonal.
Unless you specify the number of dimensions it is difficult to work out what mapping you are trying to perform.
A 3D orthogonal coordinate system from cad could be used to generate a 2D perspective drawing if you specified a viewpoint.

Well, the image is of a 3D world, but if I import the image into CAD it would be a projection onto the XY Plane. So I would say it is a 2D projection. If this helps. The image is a normal camera picture.

So you want to convert a 2D perspective image of a 3D object to an orthoganal CAD object.
But do you want to convert that to a 2D or a 3D orthogonal CAD object ?

How many perspective 2D images do you have from different viewpoints of the one original 3D object ?
Does the imaged object have some geometric symmetry that could be used to regenerate a missing third dimension ?

I need to convert it into a 3D orthogonal CAD object. The object is geometric. It is simply but to recreate it would take lot of measurements. I can take as many pictures as I need.

1. What is the purpose of converting a perspective picture to an ortho picture for CAD?

The purpose of converting a perspective picture to an ortho picture for CAD is to accurately represent the dimensions and proportions of an object in a two-dimensional format. This is necessary for creating technical drawings and designs in CAD software that require precise measurements.

2. How is a perspective picture different from an ortho picture?

A perspective picture is a three-dimensional representation of an object, while an ortho picture is a two-dimensional representation. In a perspective picture, objects appear smaller as they move away from the viewer, giving the illusion of depth. In an ortho picture, objects maintain their actual size and proportions.

3. What tools or techniques are used to convert a perspective picture to an ortho picture?

The most common tools and techniques used to convert a perspective picture to an ortho picture include CAD software, manual tracing or drafting, and image processing software. These tools allow for precise scaling, rotation, and alignment of the perspective picture to create an accurate ortho picture.

4. Are there any limitations to converting a perspective picture to an ortho picture?

Yes, there are some limitations to converting a perspective picture to an ortho picture. The accuracy of the conversion depends on the quality of the original perspective picture and the skill of the person performing the conversion. Additionally, certain features or details may be difficult to capture in the ortho picture due to perspective distortion.

5. Can an ortho picture be converted back to a perspective picture?

No, an ortho picture cannot be converted back to a perspective picture. Once the perspective distortion has been removed in the conversion process, it is not possible to recreate it. However, the ortho picture can be used as a reference to create a new perspective picture using 3D modeling software.