Converting heat energy to electrical energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the flow of electricity and the need for a potential difference to create a current. The possibility of using a generator or capacitor instead of a battery is mentioned. The question asks if there is a way to provide a potential difference without using a battery. The conversation also briefly mentions a personal experience with completing a circuit while soldering. The response clarifies that heating up a metal does not increase the number of conduction electrons, and that electricity is not a quantity but a term to describe matters related to electricity.
hasnainzeenwa
I'm going to ask a very basic question and my attempt at solving it may not even be right.

Electricity is basically flow of electrons in a conductor, so what I was wondering is if I start heating the wire the atoms will start losing the electrons and everything will be moving in a chaotic way but to get a flow of current I need to provide a potential difference but my whole point is that I want to eliminate the need for a battery so is there any way to provide a potential difference without a battery.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can certainly use a generator instead of a battery, or a capacitor.

There is a concurrent thread about thermoelectricity and the Seebeck Effect.

hasnainzeenwa said:
I'm going to ask a very basic question and my attempt at solving it may not even be right.

Electricity is basically flow of electrons in a conductor, so what I was wondering is if I start heating the wire the atoms will start losing the electrons and everything will be moving in a chaotic way but to get a flow of current I need to provide a potential difference but my whole point is that I want to eliminate the need for a battery so is there any way to provide a potential difference without a battery.
I was once soldering with tin some wires to a LED. Don't know how it happened but on the hand with which I was touching the tin I got a small shock. Which means I completed a circuit. Ouch. However I don't know if the current flow was caused because of the heat moving the electrons or because somehow the resistor which was heating the soldering iron touched the iron which was touching the tin. For all that it matters it could have even been that the resistor charged by induction the iron after being so much time turned on. Who knows.

I want to believe it was the heat. Anyway it's just a comment, I don't know how to accomplish what you want. :smile:

hasnainzeenwa said:

The conduction electrons are not associated with any particular atoms in a metal. They are 'dissociated' and heating up doesn't increase their number - just their mean Kinetic Energy. This is evident from the fact that resistance of a metal doesn't go down as you increase the temperature - unlike Carbon, where raising the temperature does decrease the resistivity due to the increase in availability of conduction electrons.
BTW, 'electricity' is not a quantity. It is just a term to describe all matters 'electrical'. It is more accurate to say that Electric Current is a flow of Charge (and that may not be electrons; it could just as easily be positive ions).

1. How is heat energy converted into electrical energy?

In order to convert heat energy into electrical energy, a device called a heat engine is used. The heat engine utilizes a fuel source, such as coal or natural gas, to heat a fluid, such as water, and produce steam. The steam then turns a turbine, which powers a generator to produce electricity.

2. What is the efficiency of converting heat energy to electrical energy?

The efficiency of converting heat energy to electrical energy varies depending on the type of heat engine used. Traditional fossil fuel-powered heat engines have an efficiency of around 30%, while newer technologies such as combined cycle gas turbines can have efficiencies of up to 60%.

3. Can renewable energy sources be used to convert heat energy into electrical energy?

Yes, renewable energy sources such as solar, geothermal, and biomass can also be used to convert heat energy into electrical energy. These methods involve harnessing the heat from the sun, Earth's interior, or organic matter, and using it to generate electricity through similar processes as traditional heat engines.

4. Are there any drawbacks to converting heat energy into electrical energy?

One major drawback of converting heat energy into electrical energy is the environmental impact of using fossil fuels. The burning of fossil fuels releases carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, contributing to climate change. Additionally, the production and disposal of heat engine components can also have negative impacts on the environment.

5. How is electrical energy from heat converted into usable electricity?

After the heat engine has converted heat energy into mechanical energy, the generator then converts this mechanical energy into electrical energy. This electricity is then sent through a power grid, where it is transformed into the proper voltage for use in homes and businesses.