Cool question/scenario involving friction, motors, gearbox,

In summary, the main concern in this conversation is how to prevent slippage between two small drive wheels and a large rotating bowl. The system is designed with an idler assembly and drive assembly, each with the same small wheels, which can tilt up to 50 degrees. The total weight of the bowl is 746 Lbs, and each wheel is expected to experience 119 Lbs of normal force. The chosen motor is 1hp with a 59.79:1 reducer gearbox, and the wheels are 8" in diameter with a polyurethane outer and 10Lbs weight. The bowl has a SS construction, and its resistance to motion is expected to be smaller than the force exerted by the wheels.
CraigJ
upload_2015-7-17_11-39-34.png

Question: What parameters are needed to have no slippage between 2 small drive wheels and the bowl?

Startup of the system is obviously the moment where there is the greatest chance of slippage.

As in the illustration above this is a possible layout of a device for rotating a large bowl weighing 746 Lbs. there is an idler assembly and drive assembly, each with the same small wheels. This entire assembly will tilt up to around 50 degrees from horizontal. Assuming the 4 wheels take the force of the bowl resting on them at that angle they should experience about 476.5 Lbs of normal force cumulatively. Divided by 4 that leaves each wheel experiencing 476/4=119 Lbs each.

-Currently I've chosen a 1hp motor; rpm=1800, full load torque=2.99LbFt, locked rotor torque=13.17LbFt, DOL (starts at full speed)
-Gearbox is a 59.79:1 reducer.
-Wheels are 8" outer diameter, 2" wide, polyurethane outer, weighing around 10Lbs each.
-Large bowl is SS, 746 Lbs, 35" OD, rotates on a bottom shaft with bearings

*The possible variables in this scenario are wheel widths, wheel hardness variability (for increasing frictional forces), the rate at which the motor starts up (add a soft start feature), With these numbers the 8" diameter wheels should experience 30.1 RPM with a Locked rotor (startup) torque of 787 FtLb from the motor starting up. The bowl final RPM (if there is no slippage) is 6.88 RPM.

Using hoop moment of inertia (I=mr^2), the bowl I=1586.55 LbFt^2

The force of the bowl resisting motion I would think has to be smaller than the force being exerted by the 2 drive wheels, in the instant after the motor starts up. Does anyone have any ideas on where i should go next as far as figuring this thing out?

Your input is appreciated. This is a really neat problem and its driving me crazy right now haha.

-Craig

Physics news on Phys.org
The current choice of wheel durometer produces a coefficient of friction on SS of around 0.7 according to the charts I have found.

1. How does friction affect the performance of a motor?

Friction can have a significant impact on the performance of a motor. When there is high friction between moving parts, it can cause the motor to overheat and decrease its efficiency. This can lead to the motor using more energy and wearing out faster.

2. Can a gearbox reduce the effects of friction in a motor?

Yes, a gearbox can help reduce the effects of friction in a motor. By using gears with specialized lubricants, the friction between moving parts can be reduced. Additionally, a gearbox can help distribute the load on the motor, reducing the overall friction and strain on any one part.

3. How can friction be minimized in a motor?

There are several ways to minimize friction in a motor. One way is to use high-quality, low-friction materials for the moving parts. Additionally, regular maintenance and lubrication can help reduce friction and keep the motor running smoothly.

4. Does friction affect the speed of a motor?

Yes, friction can affect the speed of a motor. When there is high friction between moving parts, it can cause the motor to slow down and decrease its overall speed. This can also lead to the motor using more energy and wearing out faster.

5. How does a scientist measure the amount of friction in a motor?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the amount of friction in a motor. One common method is to use a dynamometer, which measures the torque and power output of the motor. This can help determine the amount of energy being lost to friction and identify areas for improvement.