Coordination chemistry problem

In summary, the given ligand forms chelate rings, so it should be a chelating complex. It has no plane of symmetry (P.O.S), so it is optically active (octahedral complex) and should have 2 optically active isomers. They are not polymerisation isomers because they have different emperical formula. According to me, there should be 3 octahedron in the complex.
Amitkumarr
Homework Statement
How many of the following are the correct characteristics for the following complex(see attached figure).

(i) It is a chelating complex
(ii) It has two optically active isomer
(iii) It is the polymerisation isomer of(see attached figure).
(iv) It has total three unpaired electrons (v) There are four octahedron in the complex
(vi) All electrons of central metal atoms are present in non axial d-orbitals.
Relevant Equations
No relevant equations.Based on theory.
My attempt-
1)The given ligand forms chelate rings,so it should be a chelating complex.
2)It has no plane of symmetry (P.O.S),so it is optically active(octahedral complex) and should have 2 optically active isomers.
3)They are not polymerisation isomers because they have different emperical formula.
5) According to me there should be 3 octahedron in the complex.
For options 4 and 6,I am unable to get the oxidation state of Cr(central atom) and the overall charge of this ligand.What should be the contribution of the OH groups in the charge of this ligand?
Also,are my justifications correct?

Attachments

• IMG-20200708-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20200708-WA0004.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 180
Physics news on Phys.org
1, 2 - I agree.
3 - Do they have different empirical formulas? What are the EFs? (I assume we're talking about the complex ion, so the difference between Br and Cl doesn't count.)
5 - Only 3?
4, 6 - Count the OHs as OH- and the ammonias as neutral.

Likes etotheipi
mjc123 said:
1, 2 - I agree.
3 - Do they have different empirical formulas? What are the EFs? (I assume we're talking about the complex ion, so the difference between Br and Cl doesn't count.)
5 - Only 3?
4, 6 - Count the OHs as OH- and the ammonias as neutral.
3-They have the same emperical formula(if we don't consider Br and cl),so they are polymerisation isomers,right?
5-I think there should be 4 octahedron,1 on central atom and 3 on side atom.
If we count one OH as OH^- then we have 3×(-2)=-6 as overall charge of this ligand.So,the the oxidation state of Cr(central atom) would be x+(-6)=+6 which means x=+12 ,but that's not possible.
Where am I going wrong?
Note: Solution says only 3 of above options are correct.Which are wrong ones?

x = +12, but there are four Cr atoms to divide this charge between.

Likes etotheipi and Amitkumarr
mjc123 said:
x = +12, but there are four Cr atoms to divide this charge between.
Thanks,I was missing that part.So, each Cr atom is in +3 O.S.
But,I have one more query about the first option.Can any ligand form chelate rings and simultaneously behave as bridging ligand(like in the above question)?

It's a long time since I did my degree, and I'm a bit rusty on the terminology, but I would say the OH- ligands are bridging, while the peripheral Cr(OH)2 moieties are chelating the central Cr. Do people agree with that terminology?

1. What is coordination chemistry?

Coordination chemistry is a branch of chemistry that studies the interactions and bonding between metal ions and other molecules or ions, known as ligands. These interactions result in the formation of coordination compounds, which have unique chemical and physical properties.

2. What are coordination compounds used for?

Coordination compounds have a wide range of applications, including as catalysts in industrial processes, in medicine for drug delivery and imaging, and in materials science for the development of new materials with specific properties.

3. How do ligands coordinate with metal ions?

Ligands coordinate with metal ions through the formation of coordinate covalent bonds, where the ligand donates a lone pair of electrons to the metal ion to form a stable complex. The number and type of ligands attached to the metal ion determine the geometry and properties of the coordination compound.

4. What is the difference between a coordination compound and a complex ion?

A coordination compound is a molecule or ion that contains a central metal ion bonded to ligands. A complex ion, on the other hand, refers to the central metal ion and the ligands attached to it. In other words, a coordination compound is a type of complex ion, but not all complex ions are coordination compounds.

5. How are coordination compounds named?

Coordination compounds are named using a specific set of rules outlined by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC). The name includes the names of the ligands, followed by the central metal ion, and ends with the oxidation state of the metal ion in parentheses. In some cases, the geometry of the compound may also be included in the name.