Corollary of the Uniqueness Theorem in Electrostatics

In summary, the Uniqueness Theorem states that if the potential and its normal derivative are known on a closed surface, then the potential inside the surface is uniquely determined. However, according to the instructor's notes, if the potential or its normal derivative is known everywhere on the surface, it is equivalent to knowing the outside charges and therefore uniquely determines the potential outside the surface. This seems to contradict the statement of the Uniqueness Theorem, but it may be due to a different definition of "inside" and "outside" regions. A formal proof or convincing physical argument is needed to clarify this discrepancy.
PhDeezNutz
Following my instructor's notes the statement of the Uniqueness Theorem(s) are as follows

"If ##\rho_{inside}## and ##\phi_{boundary}## (OR ##\frac{d \phi_{boundary}}{dn}## ) are known then ##\phi_{inside}## is uniquely determined"

A few paragraphs later the notes state

"For the field inside S (a surface), knowing ##\phi_{boundary}##(OR ##\frac{d \phi_{boundary}}{dn}##) everywhere on S is as good as knowing all the outside charges; it carries all the same information about their effects"

I don't see how this follows from the statement of the Uniqueness Theorem. If anything it **seems to me** that the instructor is saying the converse of the Uniqueness Theorem while flipping definitions of "inside" and "outside".

"If ##\phi_{boundary}## (OR ##\frac{d \phi_{boundary}}{dn}## ) are known on surface S then ##\rho_{outside}## is uniquely determined"

Can anyone help me

1) decipher what my instructor is trying to say

2) Offer help in the way of a formal proof or a convincing physical argument

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
Say you have a closed surface in space. It forms a clear boundary between two regions of space. Region I is has two boundaries, one at infinity and one at the closed surface. Region II has one boundary at the surface. I think your instructor is defining "inside" as the region in which ##\rho## is known, either I or II. BTW, if ##\frac{d\phi_{boundary}}{dn}## is known, the potential is determined to within a constant. Some people will not call that "uniquely".

What is the Corollary of the Uniqueness Theorem in Electrostatics?

The Corollary of the Uniqueness Theorem in Electrostatics states that in a given region, the electric potential and electric field are uniquely determined by the distribution of electric charges and the boundary conditions.

What does the Corollary of the Uniqueness Theorem tell us about electric fields?

The Corollary of the Uniqueness Theorem tells us that the electric field at a point in space is solely determined by the distribution of charges and the boundary conditions, and is not affected by the history of how the charges got there.

How is the Corollary of the Uniqueness Theorem applied in practical situations?

The Corollary of the Uniqueness Theorem is applied in practical situations to determine the electric field and potential in a given region, based on the distribution of charges and the boundary conditions. This is useful in designing and analyzing electrical systems, such as circuits and electronic devices.

What is the relationship between the Corollary of the Uniqueness Theorem and the Gauss's Law?

The Corollary of the Uniqueness Theorem is a consequence of Gauss's Law, which states that the net electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge. The uniqueness theorem is a more general statement, while Gauss's Law is a specific application of it.

What are the limitations of the Corollary of the Uniqueness Theorem?

The Corollary of the Uniqueness Theorem is limited to electrostatic situations, where the charges are at rest. It does not apply to dynamic situations, such as when charges are moving or changing over time. Additionally, the theorem assumes a linear and isotropic medium, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.