Correct bore sizing for a shower hose for a pumped water supply

In summary, there is conflicting opinions on what size bore hose to use for a shower system. Some recommend using the biggest bore possible, while others suggest using a smaller bore for a pumped system and a larger bore for a gravity system. The reason for the different sizes is unclear. The individual asking the question recently changed their shower hose from a smaller bore to a larger bore, but noticed a decrease in flow rate. They are wondering if they should switch back to a smaller bore for maximum flow. The person responding to the question suggests that a larger hose will result in a higher flow rate, but asks if the same shower head is being used for both hoses.
reddwarf4ever
TL;DR Summary
Correct bore sizing for a shower hose for a pumped water supply
Please don’t laugh, this may sound a trivial question, but it is important. I have seen so many conflicting opinions, even from manufacturers. Some say, just use the biggest bore possible, others say use a small bore 8mm for a fully pumped system & a large bore 11mm for a gravity system. There must be a reason why different size bore hoses are manufactured.

I changed the shower hose yesterday, thinking it to be the same; although it did have a scale catcher fitted, which I discarded, to a full bore 11mm shower hose, but it appears the flow is now less, so should I change it to an 8mm bore to achieve the maximum flow rate.

Many thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Larger hose = higher flow rate.

Are you using the same head on each?

Yes hot and cold are pumped,

1. How do I determine the correct bore size for a shower hose for a pumped water supply?

The correct bore size for a shower hose in a pumped water supply is typically based on the flow rate of the pump and the length of the hose. It is important to consult the manufacturer's instructions for the pump and the shower hose to determine the appropriate bore size. Additionally, factors such as the pressure and diameter of the pipes supplying the water should also be considered.

2. What happens if the bore size of the shower hose is too small?

If the bore size of the shower hose is too small, it can restrict the flow of water and reduce the overall water pressure in the shower. This can result in a weak and unsatisfying shower experience. It can also put strain on the pump and potentially cause damage over time.

3. Can the bore size of a shower hose be too large?

Yes, the bore size of a shower hose can be too large. If the bore size is too large, it can allow for too much water to flow through the hose, which can cause excessive water usage and potentially put strain on the pump. It can also result in a higher risk of leaks and bursts in the hose.

4. Are there any other factors to consider when selecting the correct bore size for a shower hose?

In addition to the flow rate and length of the hose, it is important to consider the type of shower head being used and the desired water pressure. Different shower heads may have different flow rates and may require different bore sizes for optimal performance. It is also important to ensure that the shower hose is compatible with the pump and the rest of the shower system.

5. Can I use a shower hose with a smaller bore size than recommended?

It is not recommended to use a shower hose with a smaller bore size than recommended. This can result in reduced water pressure and flow, as well as potential strain on the pump and other components in the shower system. It is best to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the correct bore size to ensure optimal performance and longevity of the system.