How Do Cosmic Rays Affect the Integrity of Unshielded Spacecraft?

In summary: The first effect is that the radiation creates a very large number of vacancies and interstitial atoms. The subsequent thermalization of these primary defects is responsible for the bulk of the damage due to radiation.In summary, without proper shielding from high energy cosmic rays, a spacecraft's electronics would go out and there would be secondary effects such as cascades of particles. The hull and engine of the ship would also be affected, potentially causing it to melt away. NASA has conducted studies on this subject and continues to research the best shielding for spacecrafts in order to protect astronauts from the effects of high energy particles.
Albertgauss
Gold Member
Hi all,

I think this question goes best in this section, because I think the answer is something a nuclear or particle scientist could answer.

In space, what would happen to a ship that did not have proper shielding from cosmic rays? (NOT the astronauts themselves; there is plenty of material on cosmic rays impacting them). I know the electronics would go out, and there would be secondary effects (cascades of particles). What would happen to the hull of the ship? What would happen to an engine if cosmic rays flooded into it? Would the ship melt away? Would there be flashes of ship like on a microwave?

I know it depends on the materials, but I couldn't find even a single website on this subject. If you know how any material would transform macroscopically at all when constantly exposed to high energy particles, that would be great.

A website or book with more info would help, too.

Physics news on Phys.org
Albertgauss said:
Hi all,

I think this question goes best in this section, because I think the answer is something a nuclear or particle scientist could answer.

In space, what would happen to a ship that did not have proper shielding from cosmic rays? (NOT the astronauts themselves; there is plenty of material on cosmic rays impacting them). I know the electronics would go out, and there would be secondary effects (cascades of particles). What would happen to the hull of the ship? What would happen to an engine if cosmic rays flooded into it? Would the ship melt away? Would there be flashes of ship like on a microwave?

I know it depends on the materials, but I couldn't find even a single website on this subject. If you know how any material would transform macroscopically at all when constantly exposed to high energy particles, that would be great.

A website or book with more info would help, too.

NASA has done extensive studies on the interaction of solar and cosmic protons, alpha particles and heavier nuclei on spacecraft structural materials. High energy particle above a few MeV induce spallation reactions in which the incident particles knocks out nucleons from the target nuclei, e.g., (p,d) or (p,α) reaction. NASA's interest is understanding the nature of primary and secondary particle radiation fields in order to determine the best shielding for a given mission, particularly where astronauts are involved.

Nuclear spallation by solar proton events and cosmic rays in the eROSITA and ATHENA focal plane configurations
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2012SPIE.8443E..2JP

The International Space Station (ISS) with an altitude of 370 ± 40 km (230 ± 25 mi) is constantly bombarded by solar and cosmic particles (mostly protons), but not as harshly as geosynchronous/geostationary satellites at 35,780 km (22,234 mi), give or take.

Besides changing the nuclei of atoms (thus altering the chemistry slightly), the radiation changes the microstructure of structural materials.

1. What are cosmic rays and how do they impact spaceships?

Cosmic rays are high-energy particles that originate from sources outside of our solar system, such as supernovae explosions. When these particles collide with the Earth's atmosphere, they can create a cascade of secondary particles that can penetrate through materials, including spaceships. This can cause damage to electronics and potentially harm the crew on board.

2. How can spaceships protect against cosmic rays?

Spaceships can be shielded against cosmic rays by using materials that are dense and have a high atomic number, such as lead or tungsten. These materials can absorb and scatter the particles, reducing their impact on the spaceship. Additionally, some spacecraft have special shielding and radiation monitoring systems to protect against cosmic rays.

3. Are there any long-term effects of cosmic rays on astronauts?

Yes, exposure to cosmic rays can have long-term effects on astronauts, including an increased risk of cancer and damage to the central nervous system. NASA has strict guidelines for limiting astronauts' exposure to cosmic rays during space missions.

4. How do solar flares affect cosmic rays and spaceships?

Solar flares, which are bursts of radiation from the sun, can temporarily increase the number of cosmic rays in our solar system. This can pose a greater threat to spaceships and astronauts, as the shielding and protection may not be able to handle the sudden increase in radiation levels.

5. Can cosmic rays be used as a source of energy for spaceships?

While cosmic rays do contain a large amount of energy, they are not a practical source of energy for spaceships. The particles are highly energetic, but they are also highly unpredictable and difficult to harness. Additionally, the amount of energy produced would not be enough to power a spaceship for extended periods of time.