Cost of high capacity compressors ($/kW)

In summary, the conversation is about the cost of compressors, specifically one with a capacity of 4 MW. The speaker was unable to find accurate cost information online and was advised to contact an equipment vendor for a quote. The efficiency of compressors may not increase significantly past a certain size due to thermodynamics.
A2K2
Hello -

I was looking at costs of compressors online and could find a couple of links that provided me $ for the power I was looking at. As the power increases, $/kW decreased. The range of kW that these websites could give me cost for was well below what I was looking at.
Can someone help me with the cost of a compressor with a capacity of 4 MW. The likes of GE axial compressors that are used for Petroleum or Power applications.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Equipment of that size doesn't come with a price tag in a catalog. You'll need to speak directly to an equipment vendor and get a quote.

That said, I'd be surprised if the efficiency increases much once you get above a few tens of kW in size - the theoretical maximum efficiency is a matter of thermodynamics.

for your question. The cost of high capacity compressors, specifically those used for petroleum or power applications, can vary greatly depending on the specific model and manufacturer. However, on average, a 4 MW compressor can range from $500,000 to $2 million USD. Factors such as design, materials, and additional features can also impact the cost. It is recommended to contact specific manufacturers or distributors for a more accurate cost estimate. Additionally, it is important to consider the long-term operating and maintenance costs of a high capacity compressor, as these can also add to the overall cost.

What is the cost range for high capacity compressors?

The cost of high capacity compressors can vary greatly, depending on the specific model and manufacturer. However, on average, the cost ranges from $500 to $2000 per kW.

What factors affect the cost of high capacity compressors?

The cost of high capacity compressors can be affected by various factors, such as the type and size of the compressor, the brand, the features and capabilities, and the complexity of the design.

How does the cost of high capacity compressors compare to other types of compressors?

Generally, high capacity compressors tend to be more expensive than low or medium capacity compressors, as they are designed to handle larger amounts of compressed air and have more advanced features. However, the cost can also depend on the specific model and manufacturer.

Are there any additional costs associated with high capacity compressors?

In addition to the initial cost of the compressor itself, there may be additional costs for installation, maintenance, and energy consumption. It is important to consider these costs when evaluating the overall cost of a high capacity compressor.

How can I determine the most cost-effective high capacity compressor for my needs?

To determine the most cost-effective high capacity compressor, it is important to consider the specific requirements and usage of your facility. Factors such as operational efficiency, maintenance costs, and energy consumption should be evaluated to determine the best option for your budget and needs.