How Many 3-Digit Even Numbers Can Be Formed from Digits 0-6 Without Repetition?

In summary: If the last digit is not zero, this leaves 24 choices for first digit and 6 for the second for a total of...We have a total of 105.
paulmdrdo1
How many 3 digit even numbers can be formed from 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 with no repetition?

My attempt:

$\frac{5}{H} \times \frac{6}{T} \frac{0}{U} = $ 30 numbers ending with zero not including two digit numbers starting with zero$\frac{4}{H} \times \frac{6}{T} \frac{2}{U} = $ 24 numbers ending with two not including two digit numbers starting with zero$\frac{4}{H} \times \frac{6}{T} \frac{4}{U} = $ 24 numbers ending with four not including two digit numbers starting with zero$\frac{4}{H} \times \frac{6}{T} \frac{6}{U} = $ 24 numbers ending with 6 not including two digit numbers starting with zero

$\therefore$ $30+72= 102$ three-digit even numbers. But in the book's answer key it says 105. What went wrong in my solution? Please help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Set of numbers ending in 0: 6 * 5 = 30 (6 choices for the first digit, 5 for the second digit)
Set of numbers ending in 2: 5 * 5 = 25 (5 choices for the first digit, 5 for the second digit)
Set of numbers ending in 4: 5 * 5 = 25 (5 choices for the first digit, 5 for the second digit)
Set of numbers ending in 6: 5 * 5 = 25 (5 choices for the first digit, 5 for the second digit)

Total: 105

greg1313 said:
Set of numbers ending in 0: 6 * 5 = 30 (6 choices for the first digit, 5 for the second digit)
Set of numbers ending in 2: 5 * 5 = 25 (5 choices for the first digit, 5 for the second digit)
Set of numbers ending in 4: 5 * 5 = 25 (5 choices for the first digit, 5 for the second digit)
Set of numbers ending in 6: 5 * 5 = 25 (5 choices for the first digit, 5 for the second digit)

Total: 105
Arent we suppose to go from units to hundreds digit?

As we're holding the last digit fixed, only the hundreds (first digit in my post above) and tens (second digit in my post above) need to be counted.

First line: we have 6 choices for the first digit (as we omit 0) and 5 choices for the second digit (we omit 0 as it's the last digit and we omit the hundreds digit).

Second line: with 2 as the last digit, we omit 0 and 2 from the choices for the hundreds digit, leaving 5 digits. With the tens digit we omit 2 and whatever the first digit is for a total of 5 choices and so on for the following lines.

Does that clear things up?

Note that order doesn't matter here - we may count in other ways but we'll still end up with a total of 105.

greg1313 said:
As we're holding the last digit fixed, only the hundreds (first digit in my post above) and tens (second digit in my post above) need to be counted.

First line: we have 6 choices for the first digit (as we omit 0) and 5 choices for the second digit (we omit 0 as it's the last digit and we omit the hundreds digit).

Second line: with 2 as the last digit, we omit 0 and 2 from the choices for the hundreds digit, leaving 5 digits. With the tens digit we omit 2 and whatever the first digit is for a total of 5 choices and so on for the following lines.

Does that clear things up?

Note that order doesn't matter here - we may count in other ways but we'll still end up with a total of 105.

hello greg!

Can you pin point what I did wrong in my attempt?
what I did in my solution was, after putting 0 in the units digit, I counted the possible choices for tens digit first rather than hundreds digit. Thus giving me 6 choices for the tens place as I omit 0. And 5 choices for hundreds digit omitting zero and number in the tens digit giving 30 set of numbers with 0 as its units digit.

Same thing can be said for the set of numbers ending with 2. Setting 2 as units digit I will have 6 choices for the tens digit(omitting 2) and 4 choices for hundreds digit (omitting 2, 0 and the tens digit) thus giving me 24 set of 3-digit numbers ending with 2. son on and so forth. please bear with me.

My apologies - I was incorrect: order does matter.

We should count all 5 possibilities for the hundreds digit when the last digit is greater than 0; your method eliminates a possible leading digit. If you're still confused try making a list of all the possible numbers ending with 2.

I think Greg is right with 105.

We have two mutually exclusive cases. Either the last digit is zero or the last digit is not zero.

If the last digit is zero, this leaves 6 choices for first digit and 5 for the second for a total of \(\displaystyle 6 \times 5 = 30\) ways.

If the last digit is not zero, then the last digit must be a 2,4, or 6. So we have 3 ways for last digit. This leaves 5 choices for the first digit (zero is not allowed) and then we can include zero so there are 5 choices for second digit. So this gives us \(\displaystyle 3 \times 5 \times 5 = 75\) ways.

Thus the total is \(\displaystyle 30 + 75 = 105\) ways.

Ye olde "long way":

1) (Using 7 digits) 3digit numbers, all digits different: 7! / (7-3)! = 210

2) Remove the 30 cases with 0 as leading digit: 210 - 30 = 180

3) Remove the 30*3 = 90 cases where numbers are odd: 180 - 90 = 90

4) Add the 15 cases included in both 2) and 3): 90 + 15 = 105

Related to How Many 3-Digit Even Numbers Can Be Formed from Digits 0-6 Without Repetition?

1. What is the counting principle problem?

The counting principle problem is a mathematical concept that allows us to determine the total number of possible outcomes for a given scenario. It is often used in probability and combinatorics to calculate the number of combinations or arrangements of a set of objects or events.

2. How does the counting principle work?

The counting principle states that if there are n ways to perform the first task and m ways to perform the second task, then the total number of ways to perform both tasks is n x m. This principle can be extended to more than two tasks, where the total number of ways is equal to the product of the number of ways for each individual task.

3. What are some real-life examples of counting principle problems?

One example of a counting principle problem is determining the number of possible outcomes for a lottery game. Another example is calculating the number of possible combinations of toppings for a pizza. The counting principle can also be used to determine the number of possible outcomes for a deck of cards or the number of possible seating arrangements for a group of people.

4. How do you solve a counting principle problem?

To solve a counting principle problem, you first need to identify the number of tasks or events involved. Then, use the formula n x m to calculate the total number of possible outcomes. Make sure to consider any restrictions or limitations in the scenario, such as not being able to repeat elements, as this may affect the calculation.

5. What is the difference between the counting principle and permutations/combinations?

The counting principle is a general rule that can be applied to any situation where we need to determine the total number of outcomes. Permutations and combinations, on the other hand, are specific formulas used to calculate the number of ways to arrange or select a certain number of objects from a larger set. The counting principle can be used to solve more complex problems that involve multiple tasks or events, whereas permutations and combinations are limited to specific scenarios.