Courant and Fritz, Construction of the real numbers

In summary, in chapter 1, page 10, the concept of real numbers is introduced as being found within an interval that is continually divided into smaller subintervals. As the number of subdivisions increases, the representation of the real number becomes more precise. The process involves taking the original interval and subtracting infinitesimals to create a new interval. The second representation with ##c_n-1## may be a typo, as it would result in a number that is slightly smaller than the original.
GodfreyHW
In chapter 1, page 10, real numbers are found by confining them to an interval that shrinks to "zero" length (we consider subintervals ##I_0,\,I_1,...,\,I_n##). Basically, if ##x## is between ##c## and ##c+1##, then we can divide that interval into ten subintervals, and we can, then, have ##c+\frac{1}{10}c_1\leq x\leq c+\frac{1}{10}c_1+\frac{1}{10}##, where ##c_1## is a digit from zero to nine.

Repeating this process, and making ##n\to\infty## subdivisions, we'll eventually get ##x=c+0.c_1c_2c_3...##

I am confused by this, though:
Capture.PNG

1) How is he constructing that ##I_{n+1}## interval?
If I suppose ##c_0-1\leq x##, then I can do ##c_0-1+\frac{1}{10}c_1+...+\frac{1}{10^n}c_n\leq x##, and if I say that ##n\to\infty##, then I can also write ##\underbrace{(c_0-1+\frac{1}{10}c_1+...+\frac{1}{10^n}c_n)}_x-\frac{1}{10^{n+1}}\leq x##, so that ##\frac{1}{10^{n+1}})## is like an infinitesimal.
Would this be correct for ##\left[x-\frac{1}{10^{n+1}},x\right]##? If so, then I guess that it should be the same with ##x\leq c_0+1## by subtracting ##\frac{c_i}{10^i}##s and adding ##\frac{1}{10^{n+1}}##.

2) How is he getting the second representation with ##c_n-1##? (typo?)
I see that, maybe, we'd do ##c_0\leq x##, and get it to ##c_0+\frac{1}{10}c_1+...+\frac{1}{10^n}c_n\leq x##, but we would have ##c_{i>0}=9##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As for 2)

For an example
c_5=5
c_5-1=4
so it is equal to

Likes GodfreyHW
anuttarasammyak said:
As for 2)

For an example
c_5=5
c_5-1=4
so it is equal to
Yes, thank you!

1. What is the Courant and Fritz construction of the real numbers?

The Courant and Fritz construction is a method for constructing the set of real numbers from the set of rational numbers. It involves defining the real numbers as equivalence classes of Cauchy sequences of rational numbers.

2. Why is the Courant and Fritz construction important?

This construction is important because it provides a rigorous and axiomatic foundation for the real numbers, which are essential in many branches of mathematics and science. It also allows for a better understanding of the properties and structure of the real numbers.

3. How does the Courant and Fritz construction work?

The construction involves first defining the set of rational numbers and then defining the set of Cauchy sequences of rational numbers. The real numbers are then defined as equivalence classes of these Cauchy sequences, where two sequences are considered equivalent if they converge to the same limit.

4. What are some properties of the real numbers constructed by Courant and Fritz?

The real numbers constructed by Courant and Fritz have all the properties that we expect from real numbers, such as the commutative, associative, and distributive properties of addition and multiplication. They also have the property of completeness, meaning that every Cauchy sequence of real numbers converges to a real number.

5. How does the Courant and Fritz construction relate to other constructions of the real numbers?

The Courant and Fritz construction is one of several methods for constructing the real numbers. It is closely related to the Dedekind cut construction, as both methods involve defining the real numbers as equivalence classes. However, the Courant and Fritz construction is often preferred for its simplicity and elegance.