Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

• Music
  • Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Track
In summary, the conversation discussed which songs were performed, arranged, or produced better in a cover than the original version. They also debated which songs should have been left alone and whether restricting covers to released singles limits interesting comparisons. The discussion also touched on the subjectivity of judging which version is "better" and the importance of adding something unique to a cover. Examples of good and unnecessary covers were also mentioned. Overall, the conversation highlighted the different interpretations and emotions that can be evoked by a cover compared to the original version.
fresh_42 said:
"One chord is enough. Two chords are borderline, and three chords are jazz."
And 20 odd chords is Yes!

If it's minimal it really has to have something unique, special.

Never a fan of velvet underground. Give me prog rock, rock, good pop, jazz and Bach!

• Haha
  • Love
Likes DennisN and fresh_42
Science news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
I have read a quote by Lou Reed - presumably since it was without a reference as always nowadays on the internet - in the context of people complaining about the few chords Quo normally uses:

"One chord is enough. Two chords are borderline, and three chords are jazz."​
That is a hilarious quote! :oldlaugh:

I like some Velvet Underground songs, but I'm not a die-hard fan. They were a bit too lo-fi for my taste,
but I can understand their appeal.

"The jazzman plays a thousand chords for three people. The rock band plays three chords for a thousand people."

• Haha
Likes DennisN
Grace Bowers

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
Hornbein said:
"The jazzman plays a thousand chords for three people. The rock band plays three chords for a thousand people."
I'm one of the three!

With a qualifier, I like rock but three chord stuff bores me.

pinball1970 said:
I'm one of the three!

With a qualifier, I like rock but three chord stuff bores me.
I used to like it. I've listened to a hell of lot of music since then. You get tired of the same old thing.

pinball1970 said:
Red Spandex outfit was never going to end well! Started out ok, she is playing a Ricky which is always cool.
Three cool dudes at the back however.....roller skater fella just killed me! That was a thing in the 70s, roller disco!
Wonderfully awful :)

Hornbein said:
Grace Bowers

You can't play Hendrix on an SG is she crazy!?

Loved it actually. Here is one with bass and drums.

The much-neglected art of dynamics.

Likes pinball1970

Likes pinball1970

Likes pinball1970
That guitar solo is quite something. It's a family band.

Their other stuff is just as good. Average age : 12.

Last edited:
Likes DennisN and pinball1970
This song is very famous in Japan. There must be hundreds of covers.

My that's a pretty face and voice. It hardly seems real.

Does she trim those bangs every day?

Symphony orchestra.

Other notable efforts by jazz groups, the Glory Gospel Singers, marching bands, and on numerous silly instruments.

Imagine the amount of work that went into that. The Frank Sinatra version is pretty good too.

How on 49 guitars?

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
I'm Waiting For My Man.

Likes difalcojr

Midnight Cruiser - Cover of Steely Dan by Foxes and Fossils​

Likes pinball1970
Ska - Watermelon Man .
Byron Lee & The Dragonaires. Sure glad I got this retro FM radio and getting: 'Top News Radio .93.5 FM in Pattaya* with this Brit DJ playing stuff never heard before. The station says it is an international music platform? Not sure how this works: Is music streaming online all over the world, and then channeled to local venues?

Likes pinball1970 and difalcojr
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Becker
https://jasonbecker.com/
AIMM Archives - Jason Becker (1989) [he was 20 years old here]

1986 - He (at age 16) and Marty Friedman (at age 24) formed https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cacophony_(band)

1989 - He had just joined David Lee Roth's band ...
recorded Roth's 3rd album https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Little_Ain't_Enough (1990)
[ David Lee Roth (with Jason Becker) A Little Ain't Enough (audio playlist) ]
but never got to tour with him because he began to suffer from ALS.

COVERS

Jason Becker - Perpetual Burn Live (rare audio) - [ Jeff Loomis- Perpetual Burn (Jason Becker Cover) ]

Cacophony Ninja lost footage 1989 [studio version (audio): Cacophony - The Ninja ]

Cacophony - Black Cat live in Japan 1989 [studio version (audio): Cacophony - Black Cat ]

... more videos of Cacophony

Last edited:
  • Care
Likes pinball1970 and jack action
Maybe I've posted this one in the previous favorite songs thread (which sadly seems to have disappeared), I don't remember...

...but this is actually a cover which I like at least as much as the original, perhaps even more:

Laura Branigan - Gloria

The sound is outdated and definitely 80s, but it still is a splendid song.
Why do I like this song so much?

1) It's wonderfully composed, everything is great, melodies, verse, bridge, chorus...
2) Laura Branigan sings like a darn goddess on it ❤️
3) It's a tricky song, upbeat and happy sounding, but dark lyrics (I like those)
4) The lyrics are very thoughtful and poignant (the line "if everybody wants you, why isn't anybody calling?", gosh, what a perfect line...

The original is Italian, and here it is:

Umberto Tozzi - Gloria

Another interesting thing is that the original has a different meaning of the lyrics (less somber), but I really, really like the rewrite in Branigans cover.

Original lyrical content : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_(Umberto_Tozzi_song)#Lyrical_content
Cover lyrics content: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_(Umberto_Tozzi_song)#Laura_Branigan_version

• Love
Likes pinball1970, difalcojr and jack action
Oh, by the way, I heard this cover yesterday... U2 covers ABBA:s SOS :smile::

I like the cover, very emotional, and I am a fan of U2, but sorry, the original is still the best:

(it's a weird song, perfectly composed but done in a strange and special style, like it's a mix of baroque/pop/rock, and a killer bridge after the chorus which (to me) sounds like it's influenced by The Beatles, but I don't know if it is.)

Song Impact:

I've heard that John Lennon really liked this song (but maybe it's only a rumour).
I've heard that Pete Townshend of The Who liked it very much.

And, very weird and unexcepted, it was an inspiration for the Sex Pistols punk song "Pretty Vacant". :oldlaugh:

Wikipedia said:
According to bassist Glen Matlock, the song's main riff was inspired by hearing "SOS" by ABBA.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Vacant

And here's another cover, where U2, Björn and Benny (of ABBA) perform "Dancing Queen" live together on a U2 concert in Stockholm, Sweden in 1992 (U2 Zoo TV tour). And I actually was on that very concert! (it was one of the best concerts I've been to)

(another fun fact is that we happened to stumble upon U2:s bassist walking around alone in Stockholm, and since we were fans, we asked for a photo and an autograph, which we got)

U2 ft. Björn & Benny ABBA : Dancing Queen (1992) & Satellite of Love

Last edited:
great music and memories, thanks!
The British music invasion of the U.S. was fully ongoing still and highly successful always by the early '70s.
Aretha Franklin covered 4 Beatles songs. This one along with "Eleanor Rigby", "Fool on a Hill", and "Let It Be."

She also covered Elton John.

And Lulu.

Likes DennisN and pinball1970
Tory Slusher. Take On Me.

morrobay said:
Ska - Watermelon Man .
Byron Lee & The Dragonaires. Sure glad I got this retro FM radio and getting: 'Top News Radio .93.5 FM in Pattaya* with this Brit DJ playing stuff never heard before. The station says it is an international music platform? Not sure how this works: Is music streaming online all over the world, and then channeled to local venues?

Here's another international music platform in case you can use it. https://kpfa.org/schedule/
Lots of different, 3-hour music genre broadcasts. I like the "Blues by the Bay" and "Across the Great Divide", Sat. and Sun. at 11am, PDT. Should be coming up in a few hours in Bangkok live. Still Friday afternoon here.

Likes pinball1970 and morrobay
pinball1970 said:
This is not very good, it is out of her range, her tone is weird in places (probably due to the range) and the guitar solo is awful. Did he not learn vibrato? Could he have not changed to a strat for this?
You need the harmony too and she cuts it short.
(I only noticed this post just now.) I agree, it's not very good, (meaning: not up to MC's usual standard).

I listened (briefly) to some other attempted covers of Comfortably Numb but I get the feeling most who attempt it are basing themselves on the original studio version, instead of the Pulse concert which (imho) is vastly better than the original album(s).

pinball1970 said:
[...] This is my second MC, the first being Jolene.
Yeah I like MC's version of Jolene too -- in part because her accent fits the song. Did you see the video where she surprises a NY city subway audience by suddenly appearing there in disguise with Jimmy Fallon (also in disguise)?

Anyway, I still love MC's calmer song "Malibu" the best out of (that part of) her repertoire (that I've heard). :oldsmile:

Likes pinball1970
I've recently discovered that I quite like Clamavi de Profundis. Here's their cover of the Misty Mountains song from The Hobbit. I really like their deeper harmonies and slightly modified way they move between certain chords.

This is the 8min version. There's also a 20min(!) version.

On the Clamavi de Profundis youtube channel there's also a number of others that I quite like, including a version of (Galadriel's) "Namarie" (which many aspirants have trouble with, imho).

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
Some really nice surprises researching this. Foxes and Fossils just unbelievable, the bunch of students (in the house/park) doing the Beatles stuff brilliant.
This Russian gal and her mate in this post really sums up what covers is all about. The best music, to you, you have to have a go at. Listening is one thing but playing it yourself is something else.

Anyway.

Likes strangerep
Things like this. Just great.

Likes DennisN
This is attention to detail. Love of the music.

Likes DennisN
Ok last one for these guys. They cover Steely Dan. Steely Dan are insane. Ronald Fagen specifically is insane. His chord progressions should not have melodies that work but they do. They are better than "work" they are genius and unique.
This bunch of kids know what they are doing I think. They describe the set up for recording.