Crackpot Ads on Mobile Site: A Concern for Scientific Integrity?

• Thread starter dipole
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of large ads on the mobile version of a website, including ads for questionable and unscientific content. The speaker suggests that the website should try to eliminate these ads from appearing prominently on mobile displays. They also mention the option to block ads and offer to add the questionable ad's URL to the block list.
dipole
I'm not sure if this also affects the desktop site (in fact I don't recall seeing ads in the desktop site), but on mobile often there are large ads embedded within posts. I've noticed several times that these ads are for complete crackpot websites, for example, yesterday I saw an ad for a wesbite about "Quantum Mechanics and God", typical quantum woo.

Not sure if PF can control the content of the ads, but I think it'd be in the interest of the site to try and eliminate this sort of content from featuring prominently on mobile displays (the ads are probably about 50% of the screen area) if possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
Heres what you'd see if you weren't logged in. This is a screenshot taken from my android running chrome.

Screenshot_2016-12-09-16-23-07.png

In that example, the ads are for some prisms and some kind of mechanical testing - fair enough, but imagine that with giant crackpot ads instead. Gives one a bad impression of the forums.

I often block ads. Send me the URL and I'll add it to the list. Thanks!

1. What are "crackpot ads" in mobile sites?

Crackpot ads are advertisements that make exaggerated or false claims in an attempt to deceive users. These ads often promote questionable products or services and can be found on mobile websites.

2. How do crackpot ads affect mobile users?

Crackpot ads can be annoying and disruptive for mobile users. They can also potentially lead to users being scammed or downloading harmful software onto their devices.

3. Why do mobile sites allow crackpot ads?

Mobile sites may allow crackpot ads as a way to generate revenue. Advertisers pay to have their ads displayed on websites, and mobile sites may not have strict guidelines in place to filter out crackpot ads.

4. How can I protect myself from crackpot ads on mobile sites?

One way to protect yourself is to be cautious when clicking on ads and to avoid providing personal information or downloading anything from these ads. You can also install ad-blocking software on your device.

5. Are there any regulations in place to prevent crackpot ads on mobile sites?

There are some regulations in place, such as the Federal Trade Commission's guidelines for advertising, which require ads to be truthful and not misleading. However, it can be difficult to enforce these regulations on all mobile sites.