Creating a Real Life Halo Energy Sword?

In summary: We can't just trap energy with a magnetic field - we need to trap the energy of an entire smelting facility.
MikeInHD
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I make YouTube videos where I talk about science in video games / pop culture. Being a mechanical engineer I can usually get by pretty good, but this one has me totally lost.

Could the Halo energy sword actually exist and if so, how could we (or the universe) possibly do it. One theory I've seen was have oscillating transverse electromagnetic waves in the fourth dimension (?). Apparently there is something like this proven by Einstein that matter is a three dimensional representation of four dimensional energy.

Any help / suggestions for this video topic would be greatly appreciated :D

P.S. I'll link my channel if anyone is curious, but I won't unless someone asks so people know I'm not advertising.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well of my limited knowledge no. The energy sword could not exist. I'm pretty sure you cannot channel light/energy into a space and it would definitely not slice someone open. Perhaps it could produce constant radiation? This would probably be too dangerous.

I'd suggest try something less dangerous. Perhaps dynamite filled BarbieTM dolls

Likes phinds
Hello! I'm also a Mech E, though I can't say I know much about energy waves, etc, beyond the basic physics courses. An EE with an advanced degree in plasma dynamics or whatnot might be able to be of some help...or just a regular physicist.

Personally, I think the Halo energy sword is in the same category as a lightsaber from Star Wars. In general, the only we *we currently know* (AFAIK) how to trap energy is with a high-powered magnetic field - that requires that the "thing" that we're trapping is magnetic (i.e. plasma). So a lightsaber and, by extension, an energy sword might operate under the principle of confined plasma, but keep in mind the power required to achieve the feats we see, such as melting through a solid steel blast door. The power source from our cutting object has to be able to deliver more than enough energy to locally melt a thick plate of steel, or locally melt (then cauterize) through a biological creature. Ouch.

So if you can cram the energy of an entire smelting facility into the palm of your hand, then you've single-handedly destroyed our current energy economy :D

Likes physics user1, Ryan_m_b and MikeInHD
Literally single-handed.

Likes Ryan_m_b

1. How can a real life Halo Energy Sword be created?

A real life Halo Energy Sword cannot be created as it is a fictional weapon from the Halo video game series. It is not possible to create a sword that can generate plasma energy and cut through solid objects like in the game.

2. What materials are needed to create a real life Halo Energy Sword?

Since a real life Halo Energy Sword cannot be created, there are no specific materials that are needed. However, in theory, creating a weapon that can generate plasma energy would require advanced technology and materials that do not currently exist.

3. Can a real life Halo Energy Sword be dangerous?

If a real life Halo Energy Sword were to be created, it would definitely be dangerous as it would have the ability to cut through solid objects and potentially cause harm to anyone who comes in contact with it. This is why such a weapon should not be created in real life.

4. Is it possible to make a replica of a Halo Energy Sword?

Yes, it is possible to make a replica of a Halo Energy Sword for cosplay or prop purposes. However, it would not have the ability to generate plasma energy and would simply be a non-functional replica made of materials such as foam, plastic, or metal.

5. Has anyone successfully created a real life Halo Energy Sword?

No, there is no evidence that anyone has successfully created a real life Halo Energy Sword. The technology and materials needed for such a weapon do not currently exist, making it impossible to create. Any videos or claims of a real life Halo Energy Sword are most likely fake or created with special effects.