Creating a two lens system of tunable focal length

Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of Gaussian beam parameters for reducing the beam size of a laser. This can be achieved by using a Galilean lens pair with a 10:1 focal length ratio or by using a 2:1 lens pair and adjusting the distance between the lenses. The formula 1/f= 1/f1 + 1/f2 -d/(f1*f2) can be used to calculate the combined focal length, which can then be used in formulas for calculating the waist size and Rayleigh length of the beam. It is important to note that these are theoretical calculations and may require adjustments in practice.
quackyneudle
Hello,
I would like to reduce the beam size of a laser by a factor of 10, with the purpose of replacing a long (750 mm) lens with a more compact design.

Ideally I'd make a Galilean lens pair where the ratio of the focal lengths are 10:1 to produce a small collimated beam. However, I think I could achieve my desired result (small beam just over some length) by using e.g. a 2:1 lens pair and moving the diverging lens "too close" to the converging lens, achieving a gentle focus and long confocal length.

Questions: How would one calculate the Gaussian beam parameters (waist, Rayleigh length, etc.) given the combined focal length 1/f= 1/f1 + 1/f2 -d/(f1*f2)? Would I use it "straight" in those formulas?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for your question. I can understand your interest in reducing the beam size of a laser for a more compact design. Let me try to answer your questions about calculating the Gaussian beam parameters.

Firstly, to calculate the Gaussian beam parameters, you will need to know the wavelength of the laser, the beam diameter, and the focal length of the lens being used. In this case, you will need to know the focal length of both the converging and diverging lenses in the lens pair.

To calculate the combined focal length, you can use the formula you mentioned: 1/f= 1/f1 + 1/f2 -d/(f1*f2). In this formula, f1 and f2 are the focal lengths of the two lenses, and d is the distance between them. Once you have calculated the combined focal length, you can use it in the formulas for Gaussian beam parameters.

For example, to calculate the waist size of the beam, you can use the formula w0 = λ*f/π*D, where λ is the wavelength, f is the combined focal length, and D is the beam diameter. Similarly, the Rayleigh length can be calculated using the formula z0 = π*w0^2/λ.

I would recommend using these formulas as a starting point, but keep in mind that they are theoretical calculations and may not exactly match the actual beam parameters. It is always a good idea to test and adjust the setup to achieve the desired result.

I hope this helps answer your questions. Best of luck with your project!

1. How does a two lens system work?

A two lens system works by using two lenses with different focal lengths to create one overall focal length. The first lens focuses the incoming light and the second lens refocuses that light, creating an overall focal point.

2. How can the focal length be adjusted?

The focal length can be adjusted by changing the distance between the two lenses. This can be done manually or with the use of motors or other mechanical devices.

3. What is the advantage of a two lens system compared to a single lens?

A two lens system allows for a wider range of focal lengths to be achieved. This means that it can be used for a variety of applications, whereas a single lens may be limited in its focal length capabilities.

4. Can a two lens system be used in different types of imaging systems?

Yes, a two lens system can be used in various imaging systems such as microscopes, cameras, and telescopes. It is a versatile system that can be adapted for different purposes.

5. Are there any limitations to a two lens system of tunable focal length?

One limitation of a two lens system is the potential for aberrations or distortions in the image quality. This can be minimized with careful lens selection and alignment. Additionally, the physical size and weight of the system may also be a limitation in certain applications.