Creating Carpet Cleaning Solutions: Civil Engr or Chemical Engr?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's desire to create a company that produces carpet cleaning solutions and shampoos. They are currently a second year civil engineering student but are considering switching to chemical engineering to pursue their dream. The question arises of whether they need a chemical engineering degree to create such products or if they can gain the necessary knowledge while continuing with their civil engineering studies. The conversation also touches on the difficulties and challenges of starting a company, such as needing to start small, securing funding, protecting intellectual property, and the importance of sales and marketing. The speaker is advised to have a strong work ethic and do plenty of research, and they are recommended to read books and blogs by Guy Kawasaki for startup advice.
Klutch1
I want to create a company that makes carpet cleaning solutions and shampoos. I am currently a second year civil engineering student, strongly considering switching to chemical engineering in pursuit of my dream. I want to know if I need the chemical engineering training to go after such a endeavor? Or can i continue with my civil, and pick up the knowledge to create such chemical solutions?
Where do i start?

Physics news on Phys.org
Klutch1 said:
I want to create a company that makes carpet cleaning solutions and shampoos. I am currently a second year civil engineering student, strongly considering switching to chemical engineering in pursuit of my dream. I want to know if I need the chemical engineering training to go after such a endeavor? Or can i continue with my civil, and pick up the knowledge to create such chemical solutions?
Where do i start?
Firstly you'll want something that is very different from what is currently available, startups that only offer "me too" generic products almost always fail. Secondly, for something like this you'll need to start small, like garage small. You'll need to invest some money as well as actively pursue some investment from friends and family, how much depends on what kind of equipment you'll need to produce it on a small scale, getting big angel and VC investment is hard and you're going to have to have some revenue before you can consider going up to that level. You also want to pay attention to patents and IP, I've heard horror stories of startups with brilliant products who lost out because they didn't protect their products. It's not cheap but its a corner you absolutely do not want to cut. Added to all of that above is sales and marketing, I've never heard of a company succeed without selling a lot.

As you can see, starting a company is not easy. It takes a lot of hard work and a whole lot of learning, business in and of itself is a learned skill. There will be lots of long days with no immediate reward, delayed gratification is an important attribute. If you're willing to accept all of that, then welcome to the world of entrepreneurship. It's good to see someone getting involved in a politically unpopular but important industry. I can suggest a good place to start is some of Guy Kawasaki's books and blogs, which offers some good startup advice.

It depends...
Like aquitaine said, you're going to need a tremendous work ethic and do A LOT of research.
If you've got the brains and the drive, you probably won't need the degree at all...
The key is to stay positive and not be afraid.

1. What is the difference between carpet cleaning solutions created by civil engineering and those created by chemical engineering?

Civil engineering focuses on the design and construction of physical structures, while chemical engineering involves the use of chemistry and materials science to create products. Therefore, carpet cleaning solutions created by civil engineers may use more mechanical and physical methods, while those created by chemical engineers may use more chemical reactions and formulations.

2. Can civil engineering techniques be used to create environmentally-friendly carpet cleaning solutions?

Yes, civil engineers can use their knowledge of sustainable design and materials to create carpet cleaning solutions that are environmentally-friendly. This may involve using renewable resources, reducing waste, and minimizing the use of harmful chemicals.

3. How do chemical engineers ensure the safety and effectiveness of their carpet cleaning solutions?

Chemical engineers use their understanding of chemistry and materials science to carefully select and test ingredients for their carpet cleaning solutions. They also conduct thorough research and follow safety regulations to ensure the effectiveness and safety of their products.

4. Can carpet cleaning solutions created by civil or chemical engineers be used for all types of carpets?

Yes, both civil and chemical engineers can create solutions that are suitable for various types of carpets. However, it is important to carefully read and follow the instructions on the product label to ensure it is appropriate for your specific carpet type.

5. Are there any potential health risks associated with using carpet cleaning solutions created by civil or chemical engineers?

Carpet cleaning solutions created by both civil and chemical engineers are generally safe to use. However, it is important to follow the instructions and use protective equipment, such as gloves and masks, when handling and using these products. If you have any concerns, it is best to consult with a professional or read the safety information provided by the manufacturer.