Criticality safety assessment of an abandoned plutonium lab

In summary: I can give you a private link to the thread.In summary, the conversation is about assessing the criticality safety of a waste removal plan for an abandoned Russian laboratory where plutonium was recovered from fuel rods. The room contains a dissolver, a sump, and spilled metal chips. The dissolver contains fissile material, nitric acid, and debris at the bottom, while the sump is filled with raschid rings and contains boron and plutonium nitrate. The main goal is to come up with a plan to safely drain and decontaminate the dissolver and sump for demolition, while considering the lack of roads in the Arctic and the need for appropriate waste storage. The main questions are how to accurately
richphys
I'm assessing criticality safety of a waste removal plan for a (theoretical) abandoned russian laboratory. In the laboratory plutonium was recovered from fuel rods. The room is mainly empty except for a dissolver, a sump below the dissolver and spilled metal chips on the floor. The dissolver contains fissile material, nitric acid and debris at the bottom. It can be filled from the top and has a tap at the bottom. The sump is filled with raschid rings and contains boron and plutonium nitrate.

I need to come up with a plan to drain and decontaminate safely the dissolver and sump so the room is ready for demolition. There are no roads in the arctic so any waste must be stored appropriately.

Basically, I'm in need of some case studies or literature so I can make a reasonable attempt at a plan.

My main questions are:

What can I use to accurately characterise the waste in the dissolver and sump?
How do I remove the fissile materials and nitric acid safely from the dissolver and sump?
What do I use to store the wastes?

Some random sources of information I have found:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=f4dJDgAAQBAJ&pg=PA200&dq=nuclear+fuel+dissolvers&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj6mtueptjaAhWKSsAKHR_LC5cQ6AEIVjAJ#v=onepage&q=nuclear fuel dissolvers&f=false

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=jQAxAQAAMAAJ&pg=SA2-PA24&dq=plutonium+dissolver+raschig&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_6seLqNjaAhXKDMAKHV_tB5QQ6AEIJzAA#v=onepage&q=plutonium dissolver raschig&f=false

THANK YOU

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Since your profile says that you are an undergrad, I presume that this assignment is a school hypothetical and not that you are the lead engineer on a real life cleanup; correct?

I think your best source is USNRC, not Google, not PF. If you can't find it on their web site, I suggest trying to make personal contact. They may be glad to provide unclassified published sources for you to look at (glad because they might recruit you as a future NRC employee).

If USNRC is politically incorrect, I think you could do the same with regulators in Sweden, Switzerland, France, the UK, Canada and other countries.

This isn't my direct area, but here are some things to think about.

1. What is the radiation readings in the room? Can you even get in there, or does everything have to be done remotely?
If they were dissolving spent fuel with a high burnup, everything would be remote. If it was lower burnup fuel, you might be able to get close.

2. You need to figure out a way to neutralize the acid without making a violent reaction. You also want to add as little extra material as possible to reduce the overall waste.

3. You need a way to demobilize the liquid waste. Probably some type of cement/grout. Liquid waste is very difficult to handle and store long-term.

4. Is there any chance of a criticality occurring in the liquid? If so, you will need to add neutron absorbers.

5. You will need to figure out a way to decontaminate all the surfaces and/or figure out a binding agent to keep the radioactivity from flaking off during destruction. Read the recent news about Hanford to see how NOT to do this :)

6. You need to characterize the "metal chips". Could this be fuel? If so, high radioactivity and possible critical configuration.

Good luck!

richphys said:
Thank you for the replies! Yes it is a university assignment. I'm stuck on another part of it now - possibly calculating critical mass. I made a new thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-to-calculate-critical-mass.946257/

In that case, I'm going to close this thread until your other thread is finished. If you want to reopen it, click on my name and start a conversaion.

1. What is criticality safety assessment and why is it necessary for an abandoned plutonium lab?

Criticality safety assessment is a systematic evaluation of the potential hazards associated with the handling and storage of nuclear materials, specifically plutonium. It is necessary for an abandoned plutonium lab because plutonium is a highly radioactive and fissile material that can cause a nuclear chain reaction if not handled properly. This assessment helps to identify potential risks and develop safety measures to prevent accidents or criticality events.

2. Who is responsible for conducting a criticality safety assessment for an abandoned plutonium lab?

The responsibility for conducting a criticality safety assessment lies with a team of qualified and experienced nuclear scientists, engineers, and safety experts. They are trained to evaluate the potential hazards and develop safety measures to prevent accidents or criticality events in the abandoned plutonium lab.

3. What factors are taken into consideration during a criticality safety assessment for an abandoned plutonium lab?

During a criticality safety assessment, factors such as the quantity and type of plutonium present, the physical and chemical properties of the materials, the configuration and layout of the lab, and the potential for external events (such as earthquakes or fires) are taken into consideration. Other factors, such as human factors and operational procedures, are also evaluated to ensure the safe handling and storage of the plutonium.

4. How is the risk of a criticality event determined during a criticality safety assessment for an abandoned plutonium lab?

The risk of a criticality event is determined by using various analytical methods, such as computer modeling and experimental data. These methods help to predict the behavior of the plutonium and identify potential hazards. The risk is then evaluated based on these predictions and appropriate safety measures are recommended to reduce the risk to an acceptable level.

5. What safety measures are typically recommended as a result of a criticality safety assessment for an abandoned plutonium lab?

The safety measures recommended as a result of a criticality safety assessment may include engineering controls, administrative controls, and personnel training. Engineering controls involve physical barriers and safety features, such as shielding and containment systems, to prevent criticality events. Administrative controls include protocols and procedures for handling and storing the plutonium, while personnel training ensures that all individuals working in the lab are aware of the potential hazards and know how to handle the materials safely.