Crossed polarizers and F-Stop relationship

• Thread starter scientific601
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relationship
In summary: So you would need to interpolate.So, for example, if your filter has markings at 0.25, 0.0625, 0.0125 etc., and you want to use it at an angle of 30 degrees, you would rotate it by 30 degrees, and then use the interpolated values.
scientific601
This is not homework.

I understand that cross-polarizing (using 2 polarizing filters) will reduce the transmitted light intensity "I" to ##cos^2{\theta}##. This is well understood.

I have played with polarizers for years. I have a set of polarizing filters and also bought an official variable ND filter for my DSLR which uses the same principle.

What I would like to do, at least as a mental exercise, is find a way to calibrate a set of markings on the rim of a polarizing filter in units of f-number. What is unclear to me is the relationship of "I" from the above formula to F-Stop. I'm confused by transmitted intensity vs. transmittance.

Should the intensity "I" number be squared again, square-rooted, or left as is? Will the markings ultimately be linearly spaced (after applying the trig of course) or some logarithmic scale? We know that cross polarizing by 90 degrees will in theory result in infinite F-Stop.

We also know that no real polarizers are ideal. Also even a single polarizer cuts the light transmission by some amount - likely greater than 50%. At full cross-polarization there is still some light coming through. This light is dark blue or purple. With these additional issues at the minimum and maximum cross-polarization angles can we still manage to find a reasonably simple relationship between light transmittance and F-Stop?

Can anyone come up with a fairly straight-forward mental exercise to come up with a solution?

I may have to set up a test bed but I can already foresee several obstacles:
  • use accurate digital tilt meters to measure filter rotation angle
  • concoct a diffuse light source (immune to polarizing filters as much as possible)
  • read camera's exposure meter (which may be susceptible to polarized light or be influenced by the color shift) or interpret RAW image's pixel values - but this may involve trying to reverse engineer the sensor's response curves and any math that was used to linearize it.

Science news on Phys.org
scientific601 said:
This is not homework.

I understand that cross-polarizing (using 2 polarizing filters) will reduce the transmitted light intensity "I" to ##cos^2{\theta}##. This is well understood.

I have played with polarizers for years. I have a set of polarizing filters and also bought an official variable ND filter for my DSLR which uses the same principle.

What I would like to do, at least as a mental exercise, is find a way to calibrate a set of markings on the rim of a polarizing filter in units of f-number. What is unclear to me is the relationship of "I" from the above formula to F-Stop. I'm confused by transmitted intensity vs. transmittance.

Should the intensity "I" number be squared again, square-rooted, or left as is? Will the markings ultimately be linearly spaced (after applying the trig of course) or some logarithmic scale? We know that cross polarizing by 90 degrees will in theory result in infinite F-Stop.

We also know that no real polarizers are ideal. Also even a single polarizer cuts the light transmission by some amount - likely greater than 50%. At full cross-polarization there is still some light coming through. This light is dark blue or purple. With these additional issues at the minimum and maximum cross-polarization angles can we still manage to find a reasonably simple relationship between light transmittance and F-Stop?

Can anyone come up with a fairly straight-forward mental exercise to come up with a solution?

I may have to set up a test bed but I can already foresee several obstacles:
  • use accurate digital tilt meters to measure filter rotation angle
  • concoct a diffuse light source (immune to polarizing filters as much as possible)
  • read camera's exposure meter (which may be susceptible to polarized light or be influenced by the color shift) or interpret RAW image's pixel values - but this may involve trying to reverse engineer the sensor's response curves and any math that was used to linearize it.
The intensity varies with the square of the f number. So if the lens is f1.8 max, then f3.5 gives about a fourth the intensity, and so with f8 etc. For the polariser, the intensity depends on cos^2 theta. So it looks as if the f number depends simply on cos theta. Make the maximum position equal to your lens, such as f1.8, and then mark the angles where cos theta is 0.25, 0.0625, 0.0125 etc. Unfortunately, this is a very uneven scale.

1. What is the relationship between crossed polarizers and f-stop?

The relationship between crossed polarizers and f-stop is that they both affect the amount of light that passes through the camera lens. When crossed polarizers are used, they block out light that is not aligned with their orientation, reducing the amount of light that reaches the camera's sensor. Similarly, changing the f-stop on a camera changes the size of the aperture, which also controls the amount of light that reaches the sensor.

2. How do crossed polarizers affect the quality of an image?

Crossed polarizers can have a significant impact on the quality of an image. When two polarizers are aligned at 90 degrees to each other, they effectively block out all light, resulting in a completely black image. However, when they are aligned at a smaller angle, they allow some light to pass through, but also create a polarized effect on the image. This can result in reduced glare and improved color saturation in certain lighting conditions.

3. Can the f-stop affect the appearance of polarized light in an image?

Yes, changing the f-stop can affect the appearance of polarized light in an image. As mentioned before, the f-stop controls the size of the aperture, which in turn affects the amount of light that reaches the sensor. This can impact the intensity of polarized light in an image and may result in a different polarized effect compared to using a different f-stop.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using crossed polarizers?

While crossed polarizers can enhance the quality of an image in certain lighting conditions, they can also have some disadvantages. When using crossed polarizers, the amount of light reaching the sensor is reduced, which may result in longer exposure times or the need for a higher ISO setting. Additionally, the polarizing effect may not always be desirable, as it can create uneven lighting or distortion in some images.

5. How can I determine the optimal settings for using crossed polarizers and adjusting the f-stop?

The optimal settings for using crossed polarizers and adjusting the f-stop will depend on the specific lighting conditions and desired outcome for your image. It is important to experiment with different angles and orientations of the polarizers, as well as different f-stops, to find the best combination for your particular situation. Additionally, using a tripod and adjusting other camera settings such as ISO and shutter speed can also impact the final result.