CT Scan to editable Solidworks file?

In summary, the individual is seeking to convert an object scanned via CT at a local hospital into an editable part in SolidWorks. They have used the program 3D Slicer to create a label map and exported it to an .STL format, but it is not editable when imported into SolidWorks. They are looking for a way to modify the STL model in SolidWorks and have found a utility that may help. They also mention that SolidWorks may not be the best program for STL to CAD conversions and suggest using Geomagic for this purpose.
Hercuflea
Hello,
I have CT scanned an object at my local hospital, and I want to convert the object to an editable part in SolidWorks.

So far, I've used the program 3D Slicer to create a label map of the object and exported it to an .STL format.

However, it doesn't seem to be editable at all when I import the file into SolidWorks. It displays the object, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but I want to be able to modify it before I send it to the machine shop.

I've never used SolidWorks before, but from what I've read online here
it doesn't seem that STL is editable once imported into SolidWorks?

3D Slicer doesn't have any way to export to Solidworks format.

How can I turn my STL model into a 3D model that I can modify?

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is a SolidWorks utility that might help you : http://www.solidworks.co.uk/sw/products/3d-cad/scanto3d.htm

Oooh! I think I have that. I'll give it a try.

1. What is a CT scan?

A CT (computed tomography) scan is a medical imaging technique that uses X-rays and computer processing to produce cross-sectional images of the body. It is commonly used to diagnose and monitor various medical conditions.

2. How is a CT scan used to create an editable Solidworks file?

The CT scan data is first converted into a digital format, such as DICOM, and then imported into Solidworks. The software uses the data to create a 3D model, which can then be edited and manipulated as needed.

3. What types of files can be exported from a CT scan to Solidworks?

A variety of file formats can be exported, including STL, STEP, and IGES. These files can be used in Solidworks or other CAD software for further design and engineering work.

4. Are there any limitations to using a CT scan to create an editable Solidworks file?

While a CT scan can provide accurate and detailed data, there may be limitations in terms of resolution and image quality. Additionally, the process may not be suitable for all types of objects or materials.

5. What are the benefits of using a CT scan to create an editable Solidworks file?

Using a CT scan can save time and effort compared to traditional methods of creating 3D models. It also allows for precise measurements and the ability to work with complex or irregular shapes. This can be particularly useful in the medical field for creating custom implants or prosthetics.