Curious formula for elliptical polarisation

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of polarisation microscopy and the measuring of elliptical polarisation. The speaker mentions a new relation they have derived which connects the complex azimuth and the ellipticity to the polarisation state. They also mention the use of the Gudermannian function and its connection to the real azimuth and ellipticity. The conversation ends with the speaker asking for a reference for this formula. Later, another person provides a similar formula from Azzam and Bashara's "Ellipsometry and Polarized light" book.
DrDu
Science Advisor
Recently, I have been playing with polarisation microscopy and the measuring of elliptical polarisation. Standard treatments, like that in Born and Wolf, are usually a mayhem of all kinds of trigonometric functions. Now I derived a nice relation, which I didn't find in literature, although I am quite sure that it has been derived numerous times. Here it is:

Suppose we are given a Jones vector ##(a, b)^T## characterizing the polarization direction in the plane perpendicular to the wavevektor. In general, ##a## and ##b## are complex numbers.
The elliptical polarisation is determined by the ratio ##b/a## or equivalently the complex azimuth ##w= \arctan(b/a)##. Usually, one uses the real azimuth ##\psi## and the ellipticity ##\theta## to characterize the polarisation state.

Now the two descriptions are related as ##w=1/2(2\psi+\mathrm{gd}(2i\theta))## where "gd" stands for a little known function called the Gudermannian function:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gudermannian_function
whose most useful definition here is ##\mathrm{gd}(x)=2\arctan⁡(\tanh⁡(x/2))##

It is clear that ##\psi## is the the real azimuth if ##\theta=0## and also for ##\psi=0## one finds easily that
##|b/a| = \tan(\theta)##. Forming the density matrix, one can calculate the Stokes parameters and gets the correct spherical coordinates in terms of ##2\psi## and ##2\theta## for the location on the Poincaré sphere.

Can anybody point me to a reference for this formula?

Science news on Phys.org
Not sure which formula you are referring to, but if you mean w=1/2(2\psi+\mathrm{gd}(2i\theta)), a similar formula appears in Azzam and Bashara's "Ellipsometry and Polarized light", eqn 1.79 (using your variables):

w = [tan(ψ)+i tan(θ)]/[1-i tan(ψ)tan(θ)]

Andy Resnick said:
Not sure which formula you are referring to, but if you mean w=1/2(2\psi+\mathrm{gd}(2i\theta)), a similar formula appears in Azzam and Bashara's "Ellipsometry and Polarized light", eqn 1.79 (using your variables):

w = [tan(ψ)+i tan(θ)]/[1-i tan(ψ)tan(θ)]
Thank you! Yes, this is clearly equivalent (supposing you forgot a tangent on the LHS). Writing ##i\tan(\theta)=\tan (\arctan(i \tan(\theta)))=\tan (i\mathrm{artanh}(\tan(\theta)))## one can use the addition theorem for the tangent to obtain ##w= \psi + i \mathrm{artanh}(\tan(\theta))##. The advantage of the latter formula is that you have a direct split of w into real and imaginary part. Usually, it is easy to derive expressions for linearly polarized light and most of them still hold when the azimuth becomes complex. I'll have a look at this book.

What is elliptical polarisation?

Elliptical polarisation is a type of polarisation in which the electric field vector of an electromagnetic wave traces out an ellipse as it propagates through space.

How is elliptical polarisation different from linear and circular polarisation?

In linear polarisation, the electric field vector traces out a straight line, while in circular polarisation, it traces out a circle. Elliptical polarisation is a combination of both linear and circular polarisation, with the electric field vector tracing out an ellipse.

What is the curious formula for elliptical polarisation?

The curious formula for elliptical polarisation is a mathematical equation that describes the orientation and shape of the ellipse traced out by the electric field vector in an elliptically polarised wave. It is given by E = E0xcos(ωt) + E0ysin(ωt), where E0x and E0y are the amplitudes of the electric field in the x and y directions, respectively, and ω is the angular frequency of the wave.

What causes elliptical polarisation?

Elliptical polarisation can be caused by the superposition of two perpendicular linearly polarised waves with different amplitudes and phases. It can also be produced by passing linearly polarised light through certain materials, such as birefringent crystals, that change the phase and amplitude of the electric field in different directions.

What are the applications of elliptical polarisation?

Elliptical polarisation has various applications in optics, including in optical communication, imaging, and spectroscopy. It is also used in polarimetry, a technique for measuring the polarisation properties of light, and in the study of optical materials and devices.