CV (cardiovascular) system and MRI related queries

In summary, the conversation revolves around a student seeking help with their masters research on analyzing MRI scans for information about patient blood flow rate and pressure. The student asks for validation on several questions related to artery sizing, standard units used for measurements, and the normal size of abdominal aorta and iliac bifurcation in adults. They also inquire about how a cardiologist obtains blood flow and pressure values from MRI scans. The respondent advises the student to specify their research goals and mentions the difficulty of analyzing image data. The student then clarifies that they are studying pulsatile blood flow and asks for guidance on how medical professionals analyze MRI scans for this purpose. The respondent reminds the student that this forum does not do their schoolwork or research for them and
F deba
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hi guys,
I'm an IT student 'and lill favour in my masters research work so please help me to have valid answers for following questions ASAP.
1. Do patient specific MRI contains the information related to artery sizing (i.e its length and diameter) ?
2. What are the standard units used to show artery measurements (mm,cm,m) ??
3. What's the normal size of abdominal aorta and iliac bifurcation in adults ??
4.How do a cardiologist get blood flow and pressure values of a paitent from MRI scans?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is hard to give you a correct answer. For example, patients with PAD (Peripheral Artery Disease) flow estimates are based on models, with a range of "normal" values. The images require interpretation.

Instead of a list of questions, if you can tell us what you want to accomplish (testing for PAD, estimate atherosclerotic damage, locate clots, and so on) we can probably come up with a paper that outlines the things you need to know. There are lots of very informed people on PF.

MRI is basically an imaging technique, so are you planning on analyzing image data? I get the impression that you might be underestimating the difficulty of what you appear to want to do. And some of your questions reflect that to me. And I'm definitely NOT trying to stop you, just help you make the scope of your effort workable.

jim mcnamara said:
It is hard to give you a correct answer. For example, patients with PAD (Peripheral Artery Disease) flow estimates are based on models, with a range of "normal" values. The images require interpretation.

Instead of a list of questions, if you can tell us what you want to accomplish (testing for PAD, estimate atherosclerotic damage, locate clots, and so on) we can probably come up with a paper that outlines the things you need to know. There are lots of very informed people on PF.

MRI is basically an imaging technique, so are you planning on analyzing image data? I get the impression that you might be underestimating the difficulty of what you appear to want to do. And some of your questions reflect that to me. And I'm definitely NOT trying to stop you, just help you make the scope of your effort workable.
hello jim ,
thank you so much for guiding me :)
i'm working on pulsatile blood flow and there are two things i wanted to know
1.how do a medical personal (i.e clinician,cardiologiest,radiologiest)analyse MRI scans to get information about patient blood flow rate and pressure.
2.the flow rate and pressure values in normal and diseased human aorta (abdominal and common aliac).

tell me if still giving an impression of being confused to explain the subject ;)

F deba said:
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hi guys,
I'm an IT student 'and lill favour in my masters research work so please help me to have valid answers for following questions ASAP.
1. Do patient specific MRI contains the information related to artery sizing (i.e its length and diameter) ?
2. What are the standard units used to show artery measurements (mm,cm,m) ??
3. What's the normal size of abdominal aorta and iliac bifurcation in adults ??
4.How do a cardiologist get blood flow and pressure values of a paitent from MRI scans?
F deba said:
1.how do a medical personal (i.e clinician,cardiologiest,radiologiest)analyse MRI scans to get information about patient blood flow rate and pressure.
2.the flow rate and pressure values in normal and diseased human aorta (abdominal and common aliac).

tell me if still giving an impression of being confused to explain the subject ;)
Welcome to the PF.

We do not do your schoolwork/research for you here. You need to show some of your own efforts to answer these questions. Please post links to the reading you have been doing so far on your schoolwork, and ask specific questions about that reading. Thank you.

1. What is the CV system and what is its function?

The CV system, also known as the cardiovascular system, is a network of organs and blood vessels that work together to transport oxygen, nutrients, and hormones to the body's tissues and remove waste products. It is responsible for the circulation of blood throughout the body, providing essential nutrients and oxygen to cells and tissues.

2. How does an MRI scan work to image the CV system?

An MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan uses a strong magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the CV system. The patient lies inside a large, tube-shaped machine that produces a magnetic field around the body. Radio waves are then sent through the body, causing the body's hydrogen atoms to emit signals that are picked up by a receiver and turned into images by a computer.

3. What conditions can an MRI scan detect in the CV system?

An MRI scan can detect a range of conditions in the CV system, including heart disease, coronary artery disease, heart valve problems, blood clots, and aneurysms. It can also be used to diagnose congenital heart defects and monitor the effectiveness of treatments such as heart surgery or medication.

4. Are there any risks associated with an MRI scan of the CV system?

MRI scans are generally considered safe, but there are some potential risks. The strong magnetic field used in an MRI can interfere with pacemakers or other implanted devices, so it's important to inform the technician if you have any medical devices. The contrast dye used in some MRI scans may also cause allergic reactions in some individuals.

5. How can I prepare for an MRI scan of the CV system?

Prior to an MRI scan, it is important to inform your doctor if you have any metal implants, as they may interfere with the scan. You may also be asked to remove any metal jewelry or objects and change into a hospital gown. Some MRI scans may require the use of a contrast dye, so be sure to inform your doctor if you have any allergies or kidney problems. It is also important to remain still during the scan to ensure the best quality images are produced.

Back