D.E. Littlewood's comments about escape velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of escape velocity and its relation to launching projectiles into space. The equation for calculating the height of a projectile above the Earth's surface is given, and it is noted that the projectile's weight does not affect the calculation. The conversation also brings up the issue of air resistance and the feasibility of launching a projectile at such high speeds without it burning up in the atmosphere. The validity of the calculations in D.E. Littlewood's book is questioned, and the conversation ends with the suggestion to check other sources for confirmation.
Geofleur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have been reading D.E. Littlewood's book "The Skeleton Key of Mathematics", and near the beginning he says that if a projectile weighing one (long) ton were given a velocity of 44 miles a second, this would be "sufficient to raise it to a height of 1000 miles above the Earth's surface."

Naturally, I wanted to reproduce this number for myself, so I started with conservation of energy:

## \frac{1}{2}M_P V^2 - \frac{GM_P M_E}{R_E} = -\frac{GM_P M_E}{R_E+h} ##,

where ## M_E ## is the mass of the Earth, ## M_P ## that of the projectile, ## h ## is the height of the projectile above the surface, ## G ## is the gravitation constant, and ## V ## is the projectile's speed. Solving for the height gives

## h = \frac{R_E}{\frac{2GM_E}{V^2 R_E}-1} ##.

First, note that the mass of the projectile does not appear in this formula. It appears, then, irrelevant that the projectile weighs a ton. Second, as the denominator approaches zero, ## h \rightarrow \infty ##; setting the denominator to zero and solving for ## V = V_{esc} ## yields

## V_{esc} = \sqrt{2G M_E / R} \approx 7 \frac{mi}{s} ##.

Thus, 44 mi/s seems like way more than you would need to lift the projectile 1000 miles above the surface. I didn't account for energy lost to air resistance in these calculations, but launching an object through the atmosphere into space like that seems unfeasible - wouldn't it just burn up? Am I missing something or is Littlewood's calculation off?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well done - if you google "escape velocity in miles per second" what do you get?

Well, Google didn't give me what I expected, but Wolfram Alpha did - about 7 mi/s. For some reason, I always have a hard time believing that books could be wrong about things like this. I always think I must be missing something. Thanks!

Geofleur said:
<snip> I didn't account for energy lost to air resistance in these calculations, but launching an object through the atmosphere into space like that seems unfeasible - wouldn't it just burn up?

Uh... yeah. A 1-ton projectile launched at Mach 208 is going to create significant atmospheric disturbances. Spacecraft coast to Earth at a relatively plodding Mach 25, and how'd that work out for Challenger? Even slender little bullets lose most of their kinetic energy after a few hundred yards:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_coefficient#/media/File:Effect_of_BC_on_Energy_Retained.jpg

Likes Geofleur

1. What is escape velocity?

Escape velocity is the minimum speed that an object needs to reach in order to break free from the gravitational pull of a celestial body, such as a planet or a star. It is commonly denoted as Ve and is dependent on the mass and radius of the celestial body.

2. Who is D.E. Littlewood?

D.E. Littlewood is a British mathematician and physicist who proposed the concept of escape velocity in 1911. He published his thoughts on this topic in a paper titled "The Theoretical Velocity Required to Project Bodies from the Surface of the Earth" in the Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society.

3. Why are D.E. Littlewood's comments about escape velocity significant?

D.E. Littlewood's comments about escape velocity are significant because they provided a theoretical understanding of how objects can escape the gravitational pull of a celestial body. This concept is essential in space exploration and has been used to launch spacecraft and rockets into outer space.

4. How is escape velocity calculated?

The escape velocity is calculated using the formula Ve = sqrt((2GM)/r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the celestial body, and r is its radius. This formula takes into account the inverse relationship between the escape velocity and the distance from the center of the celestial body.

5. Can escape velocity vary for different celestial bodies?

Yes, escape velocity can vary for different celestial bodies based on their mass and radius. For example, the escape velocity for Earth is approximately 11.2 km/s, while the escape velocity for the Moon is only 2.38 km/s. This variation is also seen in other planets, moons, and stars.