Damage to chimney by power line attache to it

In summary, the person is seeking help for a problem where a service crew attached a main power line to their chimney during a repair, causing damage to the chimney and potential danger. They are looking for proof and suggestions on how to address the situation, including contacting their house insurance company or seeking legal help.
Krystyna
hello :)
I am desperately seeking help for my problem: during reper of electrical mast, service crew attached main power line to my chimney. ( Chimney was add to house structure some time after house was build. More than 25 years ago).
Repair was a day long project. It required main power line to be disconnected from electrical meter for time being. Although I mention to crew about my concerns re chimney ( not sure how strong it is and how it was build) they decided to tided power line ( triple lumen N95) with rope to my chimney from a roof. It was like that for about 4 hrs. Imagine my shock when few days after I walked throu backyard and saw a big crack separating chimney from house.
Contacted company but they refuse to acknowledge any responsibilities.
How I can proof that their action was very unsafe and dengerous?

All troublesome element were present: old and unknown structure of chimney, harsh weather over years in Canada, Ontario , clay ground , long time of attachment (about 4hrs), weight of power line by itself, uncle under what it was hanging from ( between chimney and power line post) height of chimney and probably few more that I can't find myself.( weather ? - Wind ,barometric pressure temp. . It was hot and humid day - July 20,2014 . .?)

PLESE HELP ME .

If someone is awere of any physical formulas or rules that can be useful or any other ideas PLESE kindly let me know.

Thanfull for all suggestions -from a bottom of my heart - Krystyna .

P.S. I have pics to show,but don't know how to attach to this msg.
I could email them latter if needed.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 399
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 482
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 437
Engineering news on Phys.org
Krystyna said:
hello :)
I am desperately seeking help for my problem: during reper of electrical mast, service crew attached main power line to my chimney. ( Chimney was add to house structure some time after house was build. More than 25 years ago).
Repair was a day long project. It required main power line to be disconnected from electrical meter for time being. Although I mention to crew about my concerns re chimney ( not sure how strong it is and how it was build) they decided to tided power line ( triple lumen N95) with rope to my chimney from a roof. It was like that for about 4 hrs. Imagine my shock when few days after I walked throu backyard and saw a big crack separating chimney from house.
Contacted company but they refuse to acknowledge any responsibilities.
How I can proof that their action was very unsafe and dengerous?

All troublesome element were present: old and unknown structure of chimney, harsh weather over years in Canada, Ontario , clay ground , long time of attachment (about 4hrs), weight of power line by itself, uncle under what it was hanging from ( between chimney and power line post) height of chimney and probably few more that I can't find myself.( weather ? - Wind ,barometric pressure temp. . It was hot and humid day - July 20,2014 . .?)

PLESE HELP ME .

If someone is awere of any physical formulas or rules that can be useful or any other ideas PLESE kindly let me know.

Thanfull for all suggestions -from a bottom of my heart - Krystyna .

P.S. I have pics to show,but don't know how to attach to this msg.
I could email them latter if needed.View attachment 96072 View attachment 96073
P..S.2 I was able to figure it out and attache few images. :)

Contact your house insurance company. Explain what happened to them.

If no insurance you may have to decide if you can afford a surveyor prepared to write a letter to the company for you. Perhaps speak to a no win no fee lawyer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes CalcNerd
I'm sorry, but we can't offer legal advice. It is best for you to seek professional help in your area. As CWatters suggested, contact your house insurance company or lawyer. A building inspector is another option.

Thread closed.

1. How can a power line attached to a chimney cause damage?

When a power line is attached to a chimney, it can create a potential electrical pathway for lightning strikes. This can cause damage to both the chimney and the power line, as well as potentially causing a fire hazard.

2. What types of damage can occur to the chimney from the power line?

The most common types of damage that can occur to a chimney from a power line include cracks in the masonry, corrosion of metal components, and dislodged bricks or stones. In severe cases, the chimney can collapse or catch fire.

3. How can I tell if my chimney has been damaged by a power line?

Some signs of damage to a chimney caused by a power line include visible cracks or charring on the exterior of the chimney, a leaning or tilting chimney, and damage to the power line itself. It is important to have a professional inspection done to fully assess the extent of the damage.

4. Can the damage to a chimney caused by a power line be repaired?

In most cases, yes. Depending on the extent of the damage, repairs may include replacing damaged bricks or stones, reinforcing the structure, or even rebuilding the entire chimney. It is important to address any damage as soon as possible to prevent further issues.

5. How can I prevent damage to my chimney from a power line?

The best way to prevent damage to a chimney from a power line is to have the power line rerouted or relocated. This should only be done by a qualified professional. Other preventative measures include regular inspections of the chimney and surrounding area, and trimming back any trees or vegetation near the power line and chimney.