Damping coefficient in RLC model (piezoelectric transducer)

In summary, you should calculate the damping coefficient by using the stiffness and mass of the transducer, and the material quality factor of the active material.
piezo_student
Hello!

I am a university student working on a project regarding a piezoelectric patch transducer, and RLC modelling of said transducer.

Edit: After reading the rule post i think i should clarify this is not coursework homework, this is a thesis project.

The short version of my question is how to find the damping coefficient. I am fairly new to this field, and this question keeps puzzling me. The transducer that i have is this one and with this datasheet i should have everything i need to do an equivalent RLC modelling. The modeling is based on a second order spring-mass-damper system with single degree of freedom, i can't link directly to the contents of the book I'm using but it's very much like the model described here.

Now, i have found the stiffness through the formula for axial stiffness under this section on wikipedia, the youngs modulus multiplied by cross sectional area divided by length. (The youngs modulus of the complete transducer is not in the datasheet but i found it on a different section of the manufacturers websites so i can trust that)

I have the mass, which is given in the datasheet.

Now all i need is the damping coefficient, and I've looked around and i think i understand what the damping coefficient is, i just don't have any idea on how to calculate it or measure it. ANY input on this would be helpful, what would be the easiest and most accurate way for me to find this coefficient? I have lab equipment to do measurements if that's what it requires.

Edit: I should also add, that i have a material coefficient table of the active material in the transducer, which includes a mechanical quality factor Qm, maybe this is key?

Apologies if I'm in the wrong forum section, I'm new here. If you know a better forum for my question please inform me of this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks Tom.G, after some research i realized I've been going in circles, when it really is that simple.

1. What is a damping coefficient in the RLC model?

The damping coefficient in the RLC model refers to the parameter that represents the amount of energy dissipation in a piezoelectric transducer. It is a measure of how quickly the transducer's vibrations will decrease over time.

2. How is the damping coefficient calculated?

The damping coefficient can be calculated using the formula: ζ = R/2√(L/C), where R is the resistance, L is the inductance, and C is the capacitance of the RLC circuit.

3. What is the significance of the damping coefficient in a piezoelectric transducer?

The damping coefficient is a crucial factor in determining the performance and stability of a piezoelectric transducer. It affects the frequency response, bandwidth, and damping of the transducer, ultimately influencing its ability to convert electrical energy into mechanical vibrations.

4. How does the damping coefficient affect the resonance frequency of a piezoelectric transducer?

The damping coefficient has an inverse relationship with the resonance frequency of a piezoelectric transducer. A higher damping coefficient will result in a lower resonance frequency, meaning the transducer will vibrate at a lower frequency. Conversely, a lower damping coefficient will lead to a higher resonance frequency and a higher vibration frequency.

5. Can the damping coefficient be adjusted in a piezoelectric transducer?

Yes, the damping coefficient can be adjusted by changing the resistance, inductance, or capacitance in the RLC circuit of the transducer. This can be done by altering the material properties or dimensions of the transducer or by adding external components such as resistors, capacitors, or inductors.