Data Science applied to Aerospace Engineering without AE background

In summary: I am not a US citizen. I am a citizen of the Netherlands. I would like to become a US citizen, but I don't think that studying engineering in the US is the best way to do that.There are many excellent engineering schools in the US, but I don't think that studying there is necessarily the best way to become a data scientist. There are many excellent data science schools in the Netherlands as well.Because of two reasons.One is that I think I might like DS. The work seems interesting.The second is citizenship...I am not a US citizen. I am a citizen of the Netherlands. I would like to become a US citizen, but I don't think that studying engineering
temporario1001
Apparently, DS can be applied to the Aero industry, but how is a question that I still can't find an answer, and which proves to be incredibly elusive online.

I don't mean the Business Intelligence positions, I want to get more involved with the engineering team. Can a Data Scientist be useful in engineering, even without much domain knowledge?

Is there anyone familiar with this world that could provide some insight? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that your question is not sufficiently specific that we can provide a very specific response ##-## yes, the insight and work of a Data Scientist can be useful in engineering, e.g. an engineer might have recourse to multivariant linear and non-linear regression analysis in determining whether a part had been made to be sufficiently roubust; however, to give you a useful answer regarding how data science could be useful in the "Aero industry", I think that we would have to say that while we could perhaps provide a specific answer to a specific question, articulation of the general usefulness of 'data science' in a branch of engineering would require a full essay; if the general applicability of 'data science' to engineering is not readily apprehensible to and articulable by you, then maybe more study on your part is in order instead of your posing such a broadly-scoped question ##-## I don't mean to be reproachful; I just think that if the applicability of 'data science' to engineering is not all but palpable to you, and you aspire to be an engineer, then probably more study is in order.

Likes temporario1001
sysprog said:
I think that your question is not sufficiently specific that we can provide a very specific response ##-## yes, the insight and work of a Data Scientist can be useful in engineering, e.g. an engineer might have recourse to multivariant linear and non-linear regression analysis in determining whether a part had been made to be sufficiently roubust; however, to give you a useful answer regarding how data science could be useful in the "Aero industry", I think that we would have to say that while we could perhaps provide a specific answer to a specific question, articulation of the general usefulness of 'data science' in a branch of engineering would require a full essay; if the general applicability of 'data science' to engineering is not readily apprehensible to and articulable by you, then maybe more study on your part is in order instead of your posing such a broadly-scoped question ##-## I don't mean to be reproachful; I just think that if the applicability of 'data science' to engineering is not all but palpable to you, and you aspire to be an engineer, then probably more study is in order.
Thank you for your help. You are not being reprochable.
I am aware that more study is needed by my part: I am considering a Masters in Data Science, and before I commit to it I want to know what exactly I can work with if I finish it.

I have been doing my best to learn more about DS in the mean time though, and what kinds of opportunities it might bring. One thing is that I have been looking at the job postings website for several aerospace companies and, in general, they have very few positions for Data Scientist, and when they do, the description is very vague, so I can't really comprehend the applications in this industry. Maybe they use another title instead of Data Scientist, but I do not know what that title is.

temporario1001 said:
I have been doing my best to learn more about DS in the mean time though, and what kinds of opportunities it might bring. One thing is that I have been looking at the job postings website for several aerospace companies and, in general, they have very few positions for Data Scientist, and when they do, the description is very vague, so I can't really comprehend the applications in this industry. Maybe they use another title instead of Data Scientist, but I do not know what that title is.
Maybe it would be helpful to you to look at data.world ##-## there's a free online summit conference on the 29th of this month ##-## https://data.world/events/summit/

Likes temporario1001
If you want to work in aerospace engineering (on the engineering side) and you are looking to get more education to help you do it, why not study aerospace engineering?

Likes sysprog
And as PS, aerospace engineering may be different than you imagine. Most engineers at Airbus aren't designing airplanes. They are designing machines to make airplanes.

Likes temporario1001 and sysprog
Vanadium 50 said:
If you want to work in aerospace engineering (on the engineering side) and you are looking to get more education to help you do it, why not study aerospace engineering?
Because of two reasons.

One is that I think I might like DS. The work seems interesting.

The second is citizenship issues. I plan on immigrating to France but the AE jobs I want are locked behind security checks that require citizenship. Until I get citizenship, I must work with something else, and Data Science provides a better prospect for that.

1. What is data science applied to aerospace engineering without an AE background?

Data science applied to aerospace engineering without an AE background refers to the use of data science techniques and tools in the field of aerospace engineering by individuals who do not have a background in aerospace engineering. It involves the application of data analysis, machine learning, and other data-driven methods to solve complex problems in the aerospace industry.

2. Why is data science important in aerospace engineering without an AE background?

Data science has become increasingly important in aerospace engineering without an AE background due to the vast amount of data that is generated in the aerospace industry. Data science allows for the efficient analysis and interpretation of this data, leading to improved decision-making, performance, and safety in aerospace engineering.

3. What are some examples of data science applied to aerospace engineering without an AE background?

Some examples of data science applied to aerospace engineering without an AE background include predictive maintenance of aircraft using machine learning algorithms, optimizing flight routes using data analytics, and using data-driven decision making in air traffic control systems.

4. Do I need to have a background in aerospace engineering to work in data science in the aerospace industry?

No, a background in aerospace engineering is not a requirement for working in data science in the aerospace industry. Many data scientists in the aerospace industry have backgrounds in fields such as computer science, mathematics, or statistics. However, having some knowledge of aerospace engineering can be beneficial in understanding the data and its context.

5. What skills are needed to become a data scientist in the aerospace industry without an AE background?

To become a data scientist in the aerospace industry without an AE background, one should have strong skills in data analysis, statistics, and coding. It is also important to have a good understanding of the aerospace industry and its data sources. Additionally, having knowledge of machine learning and data visualization can be beneficial in this field.