De-dimensionalizing/rescaling units

• I
  • Thread starter MaestroBach
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, the conversation discusses setting physical constants to 1 in order to simplify equations, specifically in the context of solving Schrödinger's equations. This process is known as natural units and involves redefining variables and dropping the hat symbol. The conversation also touches on the motivation for this approach and the units of displacement and time when taking this approach. There is also a brief mention of setting the speed of light to 1.
MaestroBach
TL;DR Summary
I need to set certain values to 1, then rescale the rest of my units around that, but am unsure of how to do this in general.
Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this- I had no idea what category my question should fall under.

Does anyone possibly have good resources or good explanations on how to re-scale units? Something with concrete examples instead of just abstract explanations? For example, something like if I set hbar = 1, how would I manipulate my other units such as energy/what units would they end up as? I don't know if de-dimensionalizing is the correct name for what I want to do- my professor calls it rescaling units.

Google wasn't very helpful, and I got confused by wikipedia's page on nondimensionalization.

I would appreciate any help!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
It would help a lot if you provided some context here.

okay so you’re wanting to set certain physical constants to 1 or 0 in order to simplify an equation.

I think this is called natural units:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_units

and this discussion on Physics Stack Exchange

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/168983/setting-constants-equal-to-1-conditions
For context, something I'm doing is just solving schrodinger's equations for particles in boxes, but it's suggested that I set hbar = 1, in order to make numbers easier to handle/look at when plotting. However, I just don't get how setting hbar = 1 affects my other units/variables- I don't understand how the units of energy or displacement are affected by setting hbar = 1, if that makes sense.

Well, it's easy, start with the Schrödinger equation written like
$$i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \Psi = \left[-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\nabla^2+V\right]\Psi$$
What you can do first, to simplify this equation is to define new variables, call them ##\hat{\vec{x}}=\frac{\vec{x}}{\hbar}## and ##\hat{t}=\frac{t}{\hbar}##, notice that trivially, because ##\hbar## is constant
$$\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}=\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial(\hbar\hat{t})}=\frac{\partial}{\partial \hat{t}}, \qquad \hbar^2\nabla_{x}^2= \nabla_{\hat{x}}^2$$
Where obviously ##\nabla_{x}^2=\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2}+\frac{\partial^2}{\partial z^2}## and ##\nabla_{\hat{x}}^2=\frac{\partial^2}{\partial \hat{x}^2}+\frac{\partial^2}{\partial \hat{y}^2}+\frac{\partial^2}{\partial \hat{z}^2}##
Then Schrödinger equation reads
$$i \frac{\partial}{\partial \hat{t}} \Psi = \left[-\frac{1}{2m}\nabla_{\hat{x}}^2+V\right]\Psi$$
Also, you define the wave functions with a scalar product given by
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \Psi^*\Phi d^3x$$
We can also redefine the wave functions with ##\hat{\Psi}=\frac{\Psi}{\hbar^{3/2}}##, then the scalar product becomes
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \hat{\Psi}^*\hat{\Phi} d^3\hat{x}$$

Note that the Schrödinger equation also has the same form
$$i \frac{\partial}{\partial \hat{t}} \hat{\Psi} = \left[-\frac{1}{2m}\nabla_{\hat{x}}^2+V\right]\hat{\Psi}$$
What physicist usually mean with 'take ##\hbar=1##' is to do this substitutions and then we simply drop all the ##\hat{ }## from the equations.

By the way, note that these substitutions are not unique, I've started with ##\hat{x}=\frac{x}{\hbar}##, but anything fulfilling ##\hbar\frac{\hat{x}^2}{\hat{t}}=\frac{x^2}{t}## will do the job as well. The motivation doing in my way (aside that may seem more natural) is that ##\hat{x}## and ##\hat{t}## have units like ##\text{kg}^\alpha (\text{ms}^{-1})^\beta##.

Likes MaestroBach
Gaussian97 said:
Well, it's easy, start with the Schrödinger equation written like
$$i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \Psi = \left[-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\nabla^2+V\right]\Psi$$
What you can do first, to simplify this equation is to define new variables, call them ##\hat{\vec{x}}=\frac{\vec{x}}{\hbar}## and ##\hat{t}=\frac{t}{\hbar}##, notice that trivially, because ##\hbar## is constant
$$\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}=\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial(\hbar\hat{t})}=\frac{\partial}{\partial \hat{t}}, \qquad \hbar^2\nabla_{x}^2= \nabla_{\hat{x}}^2$$
Where obviously ##\nabla_{x}^2=\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2}+\frac{\partial^2}{\partial z^2}## and ##\nabla_{\hat{x}}^2=\frac{\partial^2}{\partial \hat{x}^2}+\frac{\partial^2}{\partial \hat{y}^2}+\frac{\partial^2}{\partial \hat{z}^2}##
Then Schrödinger equation reads
$$i \frac{\partial}{\partial \hat{t}} \Psi = \left[-\frac{1}{2m}\nabla_{\hat{x}}^2+V\right]\Psi$$
Also, you define the wave functions with a scalar product given by
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \Psi^*\Phi d^3x$$
We can also redefine the wave functions with ##\hat{\Psi}=\frac{\Psi}{\hbar^{3/2}}##, then the scalar product becomes
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \hat{\Psi}^*\hat{\Phi} d^3\hat{x}$$

Note that the Schrödinger equation also has the same form
$$i \frac{\partial}{\partial \hat{t}} \hat{\Psi} = \left[-\frac{1}{2m}\nabla_{\hat{x}}^2+V\right]\hat{\Psi}$$
What physicist usually mean with 'take ##\hbar=1##' is to do this substitutions and then we simply drop all the ##\hat{ }## from the equations.

By the way, note that these substitutions are not unique, I've started with ##\hat{x}=\frac{x}{\hbar}##, but anything fulfilling ##\hbar\frac{\hat{x}^2}{\hat{t}}=\frac{x^2}{t}## will do the job as well. The motivation doing in my way (aside that may seem more natural) is that ##\hat{x}## and ##\hat{t}## have units like ##\text{kg}^\alpha (\text{ms}^{-1})^\beta##.

This made a ton of sense! Thank you so much!

Couple questions:

When you were redefining ##\hat{\Psi}##, where did the ##\hbar^{3/2}## come from?

Also, given that I'm now using ##\hat{\vec{x}}##, does that mean that the units of my displacement are whatever my displacement units originally were (such as meters) divided by ##\hbar ##? I guess I'm confused as to how you get the ##\text{kg}^\alpha (\text{ms}^{-1})^\beta## units

I've seen people take ##c = 1## in tandem with ##\hbar = 1##, but does that mess anything up, given that setting ##\hbar = 1## specified the units of displacement and time, but ##c = 1## would set up a different set of units?

MaestroBach said:
When you were redefining ##\hat{\Psi}##, where did the ##\hbar^{3/2}## come from?

Well, simply because you want your new equation to look exactly the same as the old ones (because in this way you can throw away the ##\hat{}## without any change), since you have originally
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \Psi^*\Phi d^3x$$
With the new variable ##x=\hbar\hat{x}## you have
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \hbar^3\Psi^*\Phi d^3\hat{x} = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \hat{\Psi}^*\hat{\Phi} d^3\hat{x}\Longrightarrow \hat{\Psi}^*\hat{\Phi}=\hbar^3 \Psi^*\Phi $$
Because you want this to be true for all the functions ##\Psi## and ##\Phi## you must choose the change
$$\hat{\Psi}=\hbar^{3/2}\Psi$$.

MaestroBach said:
Also, given that I'm now using ##\hat{\vec{x}}##, does that mean that the units of my displacement are whatever my displacement units originally were (such as meters) divided by ##\hbar ##? I guess I'm confused as to how you get the ##\text{kg}^\alpha (\text{ms}^{-1})^\beta## units

Yes, the units of ##x## are ##\text{m}## and the units of ##\hbar## are ##\text{kgm}^2\text{s}^{-1}## in SI, so therefore the units of ##\hat{x}## are
$$[\hat{x}]=\frac{[x]}{[\hbar]}=\frac{\text{m}}{\text{kgm}^2\text{s}^{-1}}=\text{kg}^{-1}(\text{ms}^{-1})^{-1}$$
And a similar thing for ##\hat{t}##.

MaestroBach said:
I've seen people take ##c = 1## in tandem with ##\hbar = 1##, but does that mess anything up, given that setting ##\hbar = 1## specified the units of displacement and time, but ##c = 1## would set up a different set of units?
As I said the change is not unique, because ##\hbar## and ##c## are linearly independent magnitudes you can always choose such a transformation so that all the ##\hbar## and ##c## of your equations disappear (as we physicists say, we can put ##\hbar=c=1##). Actually that's the reason why I did the change I did, because now adding the condition ##c=1## is trivial (note that all the ##\hat{ }## variables are proportional to units of velocity).

Likes MaestroBach
Gaussian97 said:
Well, simply because you want your new equation to look exactly the same as the old ones (because in this way you can throw away the ##\hat{}## without any change), since you have originally
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \Psi^*\Phi d^3x$$
With the new variable ##x=\hbar\hat{x}## you have
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \hbar^3\Psi^*\Phi d^3\hat{x} = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \hat{\Psi}^*\hat{\Phi} d^3\hat{x}\Longrightarrow \hat{\Psi}^*\hat{\Phi}=\hbar^3 \Psi^*\Phi $$
Because you want this to be true for all the functions ##\Psi## and ##\Phi## you must choose the change
$$\hat{\Psi}=\hbar^{3/2}\Psi$$.
Yes, the units of ##x## are ##\text{m}## and the units of ##\hbar## are ##\text{kgm}^2\text{s}^{-1}## in SI, so therefore the units of ##\hat{x}## are
$$[\hat{x}]=\frac{[x]}{[\hbar]}=\frac{\text{m}}{\text{kgm}^2\text{s}^{-1}}=\text{kg}^{-1}(\text{ms}^{-1})^{-1}$$
And a similar thing for ##\hat{t}##.As I said the change is not unique, because ##\hbar## and ##c## are linearly independent magnitudes you can always choose such a transformation so that all the ##\hbar## and ##c## of your equations disappear (as we physicists say, we can put ##\hbar=c=1##). Actually that's the reason why I did the change I did, because now adding the condition ##c=1## is trivial (note that all the ##\hat{ }## variables are proportional to units of velocity).
Really, really appreciate your help, thank you!

What is de-dimensionalizing/rescaling units?

De-dimensionalizing or rescaling units is the process of converting numerical values from one unit to another, while also removing any units of measurement. This is often done in scientific calculations to make the values more manageable and easier to compare.

Why is de-dimensionalizing/rescaling units important in scientific research?

De-dimensionalizing or rescaling units is important in scientific research because it allows for easier comparison of data and eliminates the potential for errors caused by using different units of measurement. It also helps to simplify complex calculations and make them more interpretable.

How do you de-dimensionalize/rescale units?

To de-dimensionalize or rescale units, you must first identify the conversion factor between the original units and the desired units. Then, multiply the numerical value by the conversion factor to obtain the new value with the desired units. Finally, remove the original units and leave only the new units.

What are some common conversion factors used in de-dimensionalizing/rescaling units?

Some common conversion factors used in de-dimensionalizing or rescaling units include 1 meter = 100 centimeters, 1 liter = 1000 milliliters, and 1 kilogram = 1000 grams. It is important to always double-check the accuracy of the conversion factor before using it in calculations.

Are there any limitations to de-dimensionalizing/rescaling units?

Yes, there are some limitations to de-dimensionalizing or rescaling units. This process should only be used for quantities that have the same physical dimensions, such as length, mass, or volume. It should not be used for quantities with different physical dimensions, such as time or temperature.