Deadpool - Superhero Movie for Adults

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary, Deadpool is a hilarious and irreverent superhero movie that is unlike any other. It is projected to make $135 million in the US during its opening weekend.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
If you haven't seen it yet, you're missing an amazing superhero movie! It is unlike any other, and the irreverent nature of it was just completely refreshing! You can tell this is not going to be your ordinary movie just from the opening credit, and there is an amazing amount of creativity from the way the movies shots are done, to the very witty (albeit, rather raunchy) dialog.

The movie has been projected to make upwards of $135 million in the US for its opening weekend, way beyond what everyone was anticipating. I saw it yesterday, and I've never seen the movie theater this packed with attendees, especially adults. Almost every seat in the house was filled!

Be aware that this movie is very raunchy, violent, and has nudity (if it isn't censored at where you will be seeing it). The strong R-rating might scare some people away. But all of us who saw it found it refreshing, that this isn't a "kiddie" superhero movie, and they didn't dumb down the scene or the theme just to make it palatable for the kids and the movie rating. So in a sense, I am rather glad that Deadpool is outside of the Disney-Marvel hands. They would have insisted on the movie be PG-13 at most if they made it.

If you go see the movie, do not leave at the end credits.

Zz.

Likes Drakkith
Physics news on Phys.org
I've been looking forward to it for months. I'm going on Wednesday. :woot:

ZapperZ said:
If you go see the movie, do not leave at the end credits.
There's always something at the end of the Marvel movies and I heard this was no different. Can't wait.

Reminds me on Sin City somehow.

I want to see it so badly.

The bad news: Someone on Facebook posted spoilers about the end of the movie.
The good news: I have short term memory, I don't remember what I read. :woot: I just remember it was a spoiler because I remember my reaction to it, but I don't remember the content that made me react to the spoiler like: "Oh come on! I haven't seen the movie yet!"

Likes Eveflutter
Usually I like the serious comic book movies so this really didn't appeal to me from the trailers.

OK, you have got to read James Gunn's smackdown on people who think they have an explanation on why Deadpool is such a smash. Be warned that the link to the story and the quote contains "colorful language" that may not be suitable for everyone, but it is what was said.

And he quite correct. When Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant Man came out, they both had quite an irreverent, tongue-in-cheek nature to the whole superhero genre. And Guardians of the Galaxy certainly came out with the use of classic tunes as part of its soundtracks, way before Deadpool did. Gunn's whole point here is that Deadpool is new, fresh, and took a lot of risks that many people and studios would not want to do. Certainly even with Fox, the studio that released Deadpool, it took almost a decade before they agreed to do this movie the way it came out now.

Zz.

It fits Ryan Reynolds to a tee? Its right in line with his character from blade trinity and his original portrayal of (wade) in X-men wolverine origin, the way he pulls off these lines with a seriously straight face is what makes him so hilarious, Just MHO.

Saw this last night, it was great. It had some very clever self referencing humour in it.
In the opening credits it says "Written by: The True Heroes" its a very accurate statement!

I have to go see it this weekend I can't wait so far I haven't heard anythign bad about the movie yet. So excited. ∫◊⊥

It was Kung Fu Panda or Deadpool. I'm afraid to say I had to betray Deadpool.

Saw it last night with my wife and enjoyed it very much. She thought that it was too violent and I doubt that she will insist on going to the next one.
cpscdave said:
In the opening credits it says "Written by: The True Heroes" its a very accurate statement!
The opening and closing credits were hilarious. I loved the way that they poked fun at the plot.

BTW, this is a seriously R rated movie for more reasons than I can count. I could not believe that a woman sat down behind us with her two sons who couldn't have been older than 7 or 8. It's not a movie for kids that young. Captain America it isn't.

I'm coming this weekend :) Hurray

I was pretty thrilled about this movie coming out ever since the leaked test footage in 2014. I am no fan of dead pool but the R rating and the 4th wall coming down was the most compelling.

I'd recommend for most to see it if they can stomach the violence and crude language. There will be a sequel and I am looking forward to it.

The movie was a straight forward. It is not some intricate story oriented movie like the dark knight.

Wade Wilson is a former special force soldier who becomes a mercenary. He meets girl then gets cancer. Then he meets a person from the weapon X who promises him to cure his cancer. He becomes disfigured from the treatment and wants the people who did this to fix his disfigurement. He comes affer the people from the weapon X program for revenge Etc...nothing I mentioned that wasn't on the trailer. Lol

The movie is a character driven movie. It is like watching a constant stream of internet memes over and over again except it didn't get old to me. I will likely buy the DVD/bluray when it comes out.

gjonesy said:
It fits Ryan Reynolds to a tee? Its right in line with his character from blade trinity and his original portrayal of (wade) in X-men wolverine origin, the way he pulls off these lines with a seriously straight face is what makes him so hilarious, Just MHO.
"I don't want my suit green, or animated!"

He's found his character.

Cntr2 said:
I was pretty thrilled about this movie coming out ever since the leaked test footage in 2014

That's the one part I didn't like, they deleted the seen where he cuts the motorcyclist head of and uses it like a puppet. Considering the other content It wouldn't have been going to far. This movie is for ADULTS not kids.

Deadpool 2 coming in 2018. Not soon enough. :oldsmile:

I hope they don't make him too buffoonish.

1. What is the plot of "Deadpool"?

"Deadpool" follows the story of Wade Wilson, a former Special Forces operative who becomes a mercenary after being diagnosed with cancer. He undergoes an experimental treatment that leaves him with accelerated healing powers, but also disfigured. He adopts the alter ego "Deadpool" and seeks revenge against the man who ruined his life.

2. Is "Deadpool" appropriate for children?

No, "Deadpool" is not appropriate for children. It is rated R for strong language, violence, and sexual content. It is specifically targeted towards an adult audience.

3. Who stars in "Deadpool"?

Ryan Reynolds stars as Wade Wilson/Deadpool, alongside Morena Baccarin as his love interest Vanessa, and Ed Skrein as the main villain Ajax. Other notable actors include T.J. Miller, Gina Carano, and Brianna Hildebrand.

4. Is "Deadpool" connected to the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

While "Deadpool" is based on a Marvel comic book character, it is not directly connected to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It is produced by 20th Century Fox and has its own separate universe within the X-Men franchise.

5. Are there any post-credit scenes in "Deadpool"?

Yes, "Deadpool" has two post-credit scenes. The first one is a humorous nod to the popular superhero trope of teasing future sequels, while the second one is a short clip that hints at a potential crossover with another superhero franchise.