Deceptively simple geometry question on SAT test

Actually d would be the "best" answer. 9/2 is closer to 4 than any of the other answers

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mpresic3 said:
Magellan's crew, in circum navigaing the globe saw one fewer sunsets
Didn't Phineas Fogg have the sane experience, as a plot point?

Perhaps this was really supposed to be on the English portion.

Vanadium 50 said:
Didn't Phineas Fogg have the sane experience, as a plot point?
Fogg travelled east and although 80 days had passed for him, upon his return only 79 days had passed in London.

I still like my answer in #34. I'm not very good in solid geometry...but I was that time.

If people still are having problems seeing the "+1" part of the answer, think about a coin going around a nail.

Vanadium 50 said:
If people still are having problems seeing the "+1" part of the answer, think about a coin going around a nail.
Says the guy with the hammer! :wink:

Vanadium 50 said:

I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

• Haha
Likes pellis and berkeman
DaveC426913 said:
TL;DR Summary: This question appeared on the American SAT test until recently removed. Can you solve it?

Fascinating, and utterly unintuitive.

This is a question that appeared on the American SAT test until it was recently removed. (citation: Veritasium, to which I will not link at this time.)

View attachment 336410

Every student ever has gotten it wrong, and that's because the SAT writers got it wrong too. The correct answer is not listed at all.

And I guarantee that, even knowing this, you will get it wrong too (unless you cheat, or unless you are a PF-regular - IOW, a super-genius at math).

I got it wrong, and I can hardly believe it even after having been shown the correct answer.

Feel free to post your answers using the spoiler tag.
How can you first reach the starting point unless you are just starting?

DaveC426913 said:
You might want to read to the whole article / watch the whole video. These students brought it to the attention of the SAT eggheads, who "didn't care". The students had to make a fuss about it.I think the reason it concentrates on the students getting it wrong is because, as is belaboured in the article, it asserts that, if students do poorly on their SATs, their futures are effectively finished.

Whether or not that's objectively true, it's certainly indicative of the pressure that was put on students to do well. It is therefore kind of surprising that every student must have guessed at an answer that seemed rightish instead of actually working out the answer. And that no students complained that the correct answer wasn't available.

I knew I'd seen something like it before in relation to spinors: the rotation of two identical coins shown in the previously posted youtube video is one of a number of illustrations of the need for a 4-pi rotation identity. And there's also e.g. the Balinese Cup Trick and others described in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinor.

But those only correspond to equal-radius cases, rather than the r/3 and others explored in this informative thread. Thank you.

when I read the geometry question, I wondered: "rotates with respect to what?" the answer is 4, (reasoning as explained by others here), if it means rotation with respect to a fixed axis on the page, but it is 3 if it means with respect to a little boy walking around the circle with a stick, rolling his hoop. so in my opinion, the problem is not entirely well posed, without more clear definitions.
just an alternate viewpoint, maybe unreasonable. (and of course it is zero, if it means with respect to the person rolling inside the tire, like scout in "to kill a mockingbird"!).

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
when I read the geometry question, I wondered: "rotates with respect to what?" the answer is 4, (reasoning as explained by others here), if it means rotation with respect to a fixed axis on the page, but it is 3 if it means with respect to a little boy walking around the circle with a stick, rolling his hoop. so in my opinion, the problem is not entirely well posed, without more clear definitions.
just an alternate viewpoint, maybe unreasonable. (and of course it is zero, if it means with respect to the person rolling inside the tire, like scout in "to kill a mockingbird"!).
If the frame of reference has to, itself, rotate to rationalize a given answer, I'd say that's a pretty weak solution. I mean, that opens up an unlimited number of solutions: in the FoR of an observer rotating 23 times counter-clockwise, the small circle rotates, what? 27 times clockwise, right?(Although, note: it still adds up to four).

I think the problem, as stated, implies the frame of reference is that of the non-rotating, objective observer - not some arbitrary moving location within the setup.

Likes phinds
of course you take the intelligent, reasonable, physicists point of view. but it seems the test makers took the other, as did the guy in the video who unfurled the circle. I'm just saying, when us clueless amateurs weigh in, all bets are off.

I had posted but deleted, an earlier comment that, as a mathematician with no talent for making reasonable assumptions, I am challenged to answer a question whose terms are left undefined, so I wanted a definition of the FOR (see how I picked up on that!?) that should be used.

I don't argue this is reasonable, just that with no specific guidance, some of us will go astray in this way. and of course I agree entirely it opens up an unlimited number of solutions; that's what I meant by saying the problem is not well posed.

I apologize for sharing the perspective of someone with little to no common sense!

Likes DaveC426913
The motion of the circle A consists of two periodic motions with two different revolutions and these two revolutions can not be mixed with each other. The correct answer is 3.

• Sad
  • Skeptical
Likes gmax137 and jbriggs444
After including time instead of angle in the equations $$ x \left ( \theta \right ) = \left ( R + r \right ) \cos \theta – r \cos \left ( \frac { 3 r + r } { r } \theta \right ) $$ $$ y \left ( \theta \right ) = \left ( R + r \right ) \sin \theta – r \sin \left ( \frac { 3 r + r } { r } \theta \right ) $$ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epicycloid) there will be $$ x _ 1 \left ( t \right ) = \left ( R + r \right ) \cos \left ( \frac { 2 \pi } { T } t \right ) – r \cos \left ( \frac { 2 \pi } { \frac { T } { 4 } } t \right ) $$ $$ y _ 1 \left ( t \right ) = \left ( R + r \right ) \sin \left ( \frac { 2 \pi } { T } t \right ) – r \sin \left ( \frac { 2 \pi } { \frac { T } { 4 } } t \right ) $$ and there are two periodic motions, the first one with a period of T and the second one with a period of T/4. During the one revolution of the first periodic motion there will be four revolutions of the second periodic motion. The correct answer seems to be 4.