Decomposition of N2O5: Reaction Mechanisms and Intermediate Concentrations

• Thread starter SpinzTronics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the decomposition of N2O5 is shown to result in the formation of NO2, O2, and NO. The rate of reaction depends on the concentration of N2O5.
SpinzTronics

Homework Statement

Consider the decomposition of N2O5:
1. N2O5 → NO2 + NO3
2. NO2 + NO3 → NO2 + O2 + NO
3. NO + N2O5 → 3NO2

a) Find the reaction for the decomposition of N2O5 to stable products
b) Find the steady-state concentration of the intermediate(s)
c) Use the previous to show how the rate of reaction depends on the concentration of N2O5

Homework Equations

First I made the following forward and reverse reactions using k1, k2 and k3:
1. N2O5 → NO2 + NO3 using k1 forward
NO2 + NO3→ N2O5 using k-1 reverse
2. NO2 + NO3 → NO2 + O2 + NO with k2
3. NO + N2O5 → 3NO2 with k3

The Attempt at a Solution

a) -d[N2O5]/dt = k1[N2O5] - (k-1)[NO2][NO3]

b)The intermediates are NO and NO3
d[NO]/dt = 0= -k3[NO][N2O5]+k2[NO2][NO3]
=> simplifies to [NO] = (k2/k3)([NO2][NO3]/[N2O5])
d[NO3]/dt = 0= -k2[NO2][NO3]+k1[N2O5]-(k-1)[NO2][NO3]
=> simplifies to [NO3] = (-k1/(-k2-(k-1)))*[N2O5]/[NO2]

c) from the last expression, it is possible to have [NO3][NO2]= (-k1/(-k2-(k-1)))*[N2O5]
So, I substituted this for [NO3][NO2] in the overall reaction decomposition of N2O5 (part a):
R= k1[N2O5] -(k-1)[-k1/(-k2-(k-1))*[N2O5]] = (k1+((K-1)k1)/(-k2-(k-1)))*[N2O5] ~ keff[N2O5]

But isn't k3 supposed to be included in the overall reaction equation? Is this answer correct? Hope someone can help, thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
SpinzTronics said:

Homework Statement

Consider the decomposition of N2O5:
1. N2O5 → NO2 + NO3
2. NO2 + NO3 → NO2 + O2 + NO
3. NO + N2O5 → 3NO2

a) Find the reaction for the decomposition of N2O5 to stable products
b) Find the steady-state concentration of the intermediate(s)
c) Use the previous to show how the rate of reaction depends on the concentration of N2O5

Homework Equations

First I made the following forward and reverse reactions using k1, k2 and k3:
1. N2O5 → NO2 + NO3 using k1 forward
NO2 + NO3→ N2O5 using k-1 reverse
2. NO2 + NO3 → NO2 + O2 + NO with k2
3. NO + N2O5 → 3NO2 with k3

The Attempt at a Solution

a) -d[N2O5]/dt = k1[N2O5] - (k-1)[NO2][NO3]

b)The intermediates are NO and NO3
d[NO]/dt = 0= -k3[NO][N2O5]+k2[NO2][NO3]
=> simplifies to [NO] = (k2/k3)([NO2][NO3]/[N2O5])
d[NO3]/dt = 0= -k2[NO2][NO3]+k1[N2O5]-(k-1)[NO2][NO3]
=> simplifies to [NO3] = (-k1/(-k2-(k-1)))*[N2O5]/[NO2]

c) from the last expression, it is possible to have [NO3][NO2]= (-k1/(-k2-(k-1)))*[N2O5]
So, I substituted this for [NO3][NO2] in the overall reaction decomposition of N2O5 (part a):
R= k1[N2O5] -(k-1)[-k1/(-k2-(k-1))*[N2O5]] = (k1+((K-1)k1)/(-k2-(k-1)))*[N2O5] ~ keff[N2O5]

But isn't k3 supposed to be included in the overall reaction equation? Is this answer correct? Hope someone can help, thanks in advance!
You have ommited to include a term for reaction 3 in your equation a, and also in yuour equation for R.
I recommend you rewrite the equation for R in terms of the two steps that are irreversibly giving you product.

And yes, if intermediates are present in only small concentration it does follow that the rate Is independent of k3.

No reverse reaction for the first step (k-1) is shown in the question scheme, so I believe you would be justified in leaving this out, though there is no harm in including it just to see what difference it would make.
On second thoughts, also because it seems it is causing you confusion you, I would work it out first first for the simpler scheme where k-1 = 0.

Food for thought - the mechanism seems to give such a simple result that I doubt it has been worked out mainly by kinetics.

Last edited:

1. What is the chemical equation for the decomposition of N2O5?

The decomposition of N2O5 can be represented by the following chemical equation:
N2O5 → N2O4 + 1/2 O2

2. What is the reaction mechanism for the decomposition of N2O5?

The decomposition of N2O5 occurs through a two-step reaction mechanism. The first step involves the breaking of the N-O bond, forming NO2 and O2 molecules. In the second step, the NO2 molecules react with N2O5 to form N2O4 and regenerate NO2, completing the reaction.

3. What factors influence the rate of N2O5 decomposition?

The rate of N2O5 decomposition is influenced by temperature, concentration of N2O5, and presence of catalysts. Higher temperatures and higher concentrations of N2O5 lead to faster decomposition rates. Certain catalysts can also increase the rate of decomposition by lowering the activation energy of the reaction.

4. What are the intermediate concentrations in the decomposition of N2O5?

The intermediate concentrations in the decomposition of N2O5 include NO2 and O2. These are formed in the first step of the reaction mechanism and are consumed in the second step to form N2O4. The concentrations of these intermediates can be measured to determine the rate of the reaction.

5. What are the applications of studying N2O5 decomposition?

Studying the decomposition of N2O5 is important for understanding atmospheric chemistry and air pollution. N2O5 is a significant contributor to the formation of acid rain and ozone depletion. Additionally, the decomposition of N2O5 is also relevant in industrial processes such as the production of nitric acid. By understanding the reaction mechanisms and intermediate concentrations, we can develop strategies to mitigate the negative effects of N2O5 on the environment and optimize industrial processes.