Decreasing the power density of a laser

In summary, decreasing the power density of a laser involves reducing the amount of energy per unit area that the laser emits. This can be achieved through various methods such as using a larger beam diameter, lowering the pump power, or increasing the beam divergence. Decreasing the power density can lead to improved safety, increased lifespan of the laser, and better control over the intensity of the beam. However, it may also result in a decrease in cutting or drilling efficiency for industrial applications. Overall, decreasing the power density of a laser requires a careful balance between safety, precision, and efficiency.
Ella Reid
Hello! I have an issue with the power density of a 488 nm continuous wave laser. I'm using this laser to excite my sample. The problem is that even at low power, the laser is causing the samples to form a burn deposit on the quartz sample holder. Between the laser source and the sample, there are a series of dialectric mirrors, pinholes, and a focussing lens. What are the ways in which power density can be decreased at the focal point?

Science news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:
How about an attenuator? Something like this: https://www.newport.com/c/laser-beam-attenuators
Thanks for the reply, but I can't afford that. Are there any other cheaper alternatives?

There are various cheap filters that can reduce the laser intensity. Adding another pinhole at the right place could work as well, simply by blocking a part of the laser light.

You'll have to figure out if that disturbs the measurement.

Likes Ella Reid
How about defocusing the lens a little?

Likes Ella Reid
mfb said:
There are various cheap filters that can reduce the laser intensity. Adding another pinhole at the right place could work as well, simply by blocking a part of the laser light.

You'll have to figure out if that disturbs the measurement.
Thanks for the reply, I have tried that but my sample still decomposes.

pixel said:
How about defocusing the lens a little?
Thanks for the reply, the focussing lenses have knobs to adjust the focus in the x,y, and z direction. Do you think it matters which direction is defocus? Also, does it matter where in the focussing lens the laser beam hits? Thanks a lot.

Ella Reid said:
Hello! I have an issue with the power density of a 488 nm continuous wave laser. I'm using this laser to excite my sample. The problem is that even at low power, the laser is causing the samples to form a burn deposit on the quartz sample holder. Between the laser source and the sample, there are a series of dialectric mirrors, pinholes, and a focussing lens. What are the ways in which power density can be decreased at the focal point?

good grief ! what is the power of the laser ??

Likes Ella Reid
Ella Reid said:
Thanks for the reply, I have tried that but my sample still decomposes.
A smaller pinhole, at a point where the laser beam is wider? A pinhole off-center?
There must be some way to make the beam weaker if you block a part of it.

I don't know the requirements on the beam parameters, they might change with an additional pinhole.

Likes Ella Reid and davenn
davenn said:
good grief ! what is the power of the laser ??
Thanks for the question, the laser is set to 1 watt.

mfb said:
A smaller pinhole, at a point where the laser beam is wider? A pinhole off-center?
There must be some way to make the beam weaker if you block a part of it.

I don't know the requirements on the beam parameters, they might change with an additional pinhole.
Thanks for the reply.

Ella Reid said:
Thanks for the reply, the focussing lenses have knobs to adjust the focus in the x,y, and z direction. Do you think it matters which direction is defocus? Also, does it matter where in the focussing lens the laser beam hits? Thanks a lot.

I don't know how your x, y and z directions are defined, but the relevant one is the optical axis along the laser beam. Let's call that the z-direction. I'm not sure what you mean by changing the focus in the x- and y-direction. Anyhow. the focusing lens is presumably bringing the laser beam to tight beam waist, thus concentrating its power in a small volume. If you move the focusing lens either toward or away from the laser, the beam waist at the sample will expand, thus lessening the power density.

The laser beam should go through the center of the focusing lens, otherwise it will be displaced in the x- or y-direction.

Likes Ella Reid
pixel said:
I don't know how your x, y and z directions are defined, but the relevant one is the optical axis along the laser beam. Let's call that the z-direction. I'm not sure what you mean by changing the focus in the x- and y-direction. Anyhow. the focusing lens is presumably bringing the laser beam to tight beam waist, thus concentrating its power in a small volume. If you move the focusing lens either toward or away from the laser, the beam waist at the sample will expand, thus lessening the power density.

The laser beam should go through the center of the focusing lens, otherwise it will be displaced in the x- or y-direction.

Thanks for the reply, our focussing lens are mounted in an assembly like this https://www.newport.com/p/77259. That is what I meant.

This might be naive on my part, but what about a beam splitter. A simple splitter between the laser and the beginning of the optics would reduce the power by 50% and might not require any adjustment to the optics. And I think there are some splitters that allow for adjusting the split ratio.

Last edited:
Likes Nik_2213 and Ella Reid
websterling said:
This might be naive on my part, but what about a beam splitter. A simple splitter between the laser and the beginning of the optics would reduce the power by 50% and might not require any adjustment to the optics. And I think there are some splitters that allow for adjusting the split ratio.
Thanks for the reply, I will look into this.

If interference effects are not deadly to you just add a bunch of microscope slides (with air spaces) somewhere in collimated laser path at some angle (approx. 45 degree). Each reflection will attenuate about 10 % of light if the incidence is s-polarized light (simply just rotate the slide and check for biggest reflection). Avoid direct back reflection as it will make laser unstable! Its cheap and easy.

Likes Ella Reid
Is the laser too powerful to use neutral density filters? Or pop out some lenses from cheap sunglasses?

Likes Ella Reid
Domullus said:
If interference effects are not deadly to you just add a bunch of microscope slides (with air spaces) somewhere in collimated laser path at some angle (approx. 45 degree). Each reflection will attenuate about 10 % of light if the incidence is s-polarized light (simply just rotate the slide and check for biggest reflection). Avoid direct back reflection as it will make laser unstable! Its cheap and easy.
Thanks for the reply, I'll look into this.

Khashishi said:
Is the laser too powerful to use neutral density filters? Or pop out some lenses from cheap sunglasses?
Thanks for the advice.

1 W is a very powerful laser. Please be careful of stray reflections (off the pinhole diaphram or ND filter, for instance), and use proper lab safety procedures (no public access to room when laser is running, warning signs, laser-filtering safety goggles for you and other lab personnel, etc.). Also be careful of attenuating filters. If they are placed in a position where the beam is focused, they can crack due to heating from the absorption. It is common to defocus the beam, attenuate it, and then refocus.

Likes Nik_2213

1. How can the power density of a laser be decreased?

There are several ways to decrease the power density of a laser. One method is to reduce the input power to the laser, which will result in a lower power output. Another way is to increase the beam diameter, which will spread out the same amount of power over a larger area, decreasing the power density.

2. Why would someone want to decrease the power density of a laser?

Decreasing the power density of a laser can be beneficial for certain applications. It can prevent damage to sensitive materials or samples, reduce the risk of eye injury, and improve the accuracy of laser measurements.

3. What factors affect the power density of a laser?

The power density of a laser is affected by the input power, beam diameter, and the type of laser used. It can also be affected by the environment, such as atmospheric conditions or the presence of reflective surfaces.

4. Can the power density of a laser be adjusted?

Yes, the power density of a laser can be adjusted by changing the input power or beam diameter. Some lasers also have built-in controls that allow for precise adjustments to the power output.

5. Are there any risks associated with decreasing the power density of a laser?

While decreasing the power density of a laser can reduce the risk of injury and damage, it can also affect the performance of the laser. Lower power density may result in decreased cutting or drilling capabilities, reduced precision, or slower processing times. It is important to carefully consider the trade-offs before making adjustments to the power density of a laser.