Dedekind Cut, as stated by Richard Dedekind

• Thread starter MidgetDwarf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cut
In summary, Bertrand and Dedekind independently developed the idea of Dedekind cuts, which are used to prove properties of sets. Continuity and Irrational numbers are found in Euclid, but they also discuss the Theory of Proportions in Book 5 of Euclid.
MidgetDwarf
Greetings. I was wondering if anyone knew who gets the credit for the modern treatment of Dedekind cuts using what are commonly called lower cuts or upper cuts. Since one can show that a lower/ upper cut characterizes the other, so we can just work freely with either lower or upper cuts, and show that that everything we proved using lower/upper holds for the other.

Moreover, does anyone know of a paper or link having Dedekind's original formulation in modern mathematical language? I have not been able to find a source for the above. I wanted to give a presentation to a local math club whose students have just begun proof writing, and thought this was a neat a neat activity for them to familiarize themselves with sets (proofs involving sets), inequalities, in general avoidance of circular reasoning. Ie., the proof of the Dedekind cut corresponding to the square root of 2, where it is a common to see a circular reasoning from those not experienced in proof.

Science news on Phys.org
Your difficulty in finding any paper by Dedekind may be due to it being named in his honor as opposed to him having discovered it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dedekind_cut

Wiki mentions Bertrand so he might a good lead.

in any event, reference 3 in the wiki article mentions Dedekind and his cut.

jedishrfu said:
Your difficulty in finding any paper by Dedekind may be due to it being named in his honor as opposed to him having discovered it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dedekind_cut

Wiki mentions Bertrand so he might a good lead.

in any event, reference 3 in the wiki article mentions Dedekind and his cut.

Thank you. I somehow had the Dover translation go that reference in my personal library, but never knew it. Upon clicking the reference, I told myself it looked familiar. I will update this post with further information I found useful. I found three other sources that may be of interest to others.

Likes jedishrfu
Bertrand worked on the idea but Dedekind also published some stuff about Dedekind cuts. Look for Continuity and Irrational Numbers.

Last edited:
Office_Shredder said:
Bertrand worked on the idea but Dedekind also published some stuff about Dedekind cuts. Look for Continuity and Irrational Numbers.
From what I had gathered ( I can be wrong), is that the idea of Dedekind cuts (which are presented in books nowadays) is in the spirit of Bertrand.

Moreover, for an understanding of number consider Carl Boyer: A History Of Mathematics. To get a glimpse of how different cultures throughout the centuries approached the concept of what a number is, what numbers were known to them, and which ones they ignored or gave little importance too. Book 5 of Euclid (the one usually attributed to Exodus) talks about the Theory of Proportions. Now read that, then compare what is found in Continuity and Irrational numbers with Exodus's Theory Of Proportions.

What is the Dedekind Cut?

The Dedekind Cut, also known as the Dedekind method, is a mathematical concept created by German mathematician Richard Dedekind. It is a way of constructing the real numbers from the rational numbers using the concept of sets and partitions.

How does the Dedekind Cut work?

The Dedekind Cut involves dividing the set of rational numbers into two non-empty subsets, known as the lower and upper sets. The lower set contains all rational numbers less than the cut, while the upper set contains all rational numbers greater than or equal to the cut. This creates a partition of the rational numbers, with the cut representing the boundary between the two sets.

What is the significance of the Dedekind Cut?

The Dedekind Cut is significant because it allows for a rigorous construction of the real numbers from the rational numbers. This is important in mathematics because the real numbers are essential for many mathematical concepts and calculations.

What are some applications of the Dedekind Cut?

The Dedekind Cut has many applications in mathematics, including in the fields of analysis, topology, and number theory. It is also used in computer science and the development of algorithms.

What is Richard Dedekind's contribution to mathematics?

Richard Dedekind is known for his work on the foundations of mathematics, particularly in the areas of number theory and algebra. His contributions to the field include the creation of the Dedekind Cut, the definition of an ideal in ring theory, and his work on the axiomatic foundations of mathematics.