Define the double factorial as being a continous, non-hybrid function

In summary, the double factorial can be defined for positive integer values using a specific formula, and the definition can also be extended for negative integer values such as -1 and 0. The gamma function can also be used to define the double factorial for real values of n in the domain of [-1, ∞). However, there are some issues with this approach, and a function like ##f(z)=2^{(1+2z-\cos(\pi z))/4}\pi^{(\cos(\pi z)-1)/4}\Gamma(z/2+1)## may be a better solution. This function satisfies the standard analytic continuation for odd and even values of n, but it is not widely known or accepted as the standard
Saracen Rue
TL;DR Summary
Define ##x!!## as being a continuous, non-hybrid function over the domain of ##[-1, \infty)##
The double factorial, ##n!## (not to be confused with ##(n!)!##), can be defined for positive integer values like so:
$$n!=n(n−2)(n−4)(n−6)...(n-a)$$
Where ##(n−a)=1## if ##n## is odd or ##(n−a)=2## if ##n## is even. Additionally, the definition of the double factorial extends such that ##(-1)!=0!=1##

I'm curious as to if it would be possible to definite a function which not only accurately evaluates all integer values for ##n!##, ##n \geq -1##, but also allows you to calculate the value of any real value of ##n## over the domain ##[-1, \infty)##

Physics news on Phys.org
Will be a discontinuity in second and higher derivatives at n=1. Therefore, single (not piece-wise) interpolation is not possible.

You can also continuously extend a function defined on a discrete set, but here's a concrete approach. I assume you're familiar with the gamma function ##\Gamma(z)=\int_0^{\infty} x^{z-1}e^{-x}dx## which satisfies ##\Gamma(n)=(n-1)!## when ##n## is a nonnegative integer.

There is the duplication formula ##\Gamma(z)\Gamma(z+1/2)=2^{1-2z}\sqrt{\pi} \ \Gamma(2z)##. When ##z=n## is a non-negative integer, this gives

##\Gamma(n+1/2)=\sqrt{\pi} \ 2^{1-2n}\frac{(2n-1)!}{(n-1)!}=\sqrt{\pi} \ 2^{-n} \frac{(2n-1)!}{2^{n-1}(n-1)!}=\sqrt{\pi} \ 2^{-n} (2n-1)!##

Rearranging, we find that the function ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}}2^{(1+z)/2}\Gamma(z/2+1)## is equal to ##z!## when ##z## is an odd (positive) integer. As far as I can tell, this is the standard analytic continuation of ##(2n-1)!##. Unfortunately, this formula is false when ##z## is even.

I found a stackexchange answer (https://math.stackexchange.com/ques...ion-of-factorial-be-done-for-double-factorial)
which gives the function ##2^{(1+2z-\cos(\pi z))/4}\pi^{(\cos(\pi z)-1)/4}\Gamma(z/2+1).## When ##z## is odd, this is just the function I gave above. When ##z=2n## is even, it gives ##2^nn!=(2n)!##. I don't think this is standard though.

Last edited:
Likes Saracen Rue
Infrared said:
Unfortunately, this formula is false when ##z## is even.
For even ##z## one could use ##(2n)!=2^nn!##. A similar easy function is ##(2n-1)!=\dfrac{(2n)!}{2^nn!} ##. That leaves us with the problem to find one function for both cases, in which case we could simply substitute the gamma function.

Likes Saracen Rue and dextercioby
Infrared said:
You can also continuously extend a function defined on a discrete set, but here's a concrete approach. I assume you're familiar with the gamma function ##\Gamma(z)=\int_0^{\infty} x^{z-1}e^{-x}dx## which satisfies ##\Gamma(n)=(n-1)!## when ##n## is a nonnegative integer.

There is the duplication formula ##\Gamma(z)\Gamma(z+1/2)=2^{1-2z}\sqrt{\pi} \ \Gamma(2z)##. When ##z=n## is a non-negative integer, this gives

##\Gamma(n+1/2)=\sqrt{\pi} \ 2^{1-2n}\frac{(2n-1)!}{(n-1)!}=\sqrt{\pi} \ 2^{-n} \frac{(2n-1)!}{2^{n-1}(n-1)!}=\sqrt{\pi} \ 2^{-n} (2n-1)!##

Rearranging, we find that the function ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}}2^{(1+z)/2}\Gamma(z/2+1)## is equal to ##z!## when ##z## is an odd (positive) integer. As far as I can tell, this is the standard analytic continuation of ##(2n-1)!##. Unfortunately, this formula is false when ##z## is even.

I found a stackexchange answer (https://math.stackexchange.com/ques...ion-of-factorial-be-done-for-double-factorial)
which gives the function ##2^{(1+2z-\cos(\pi z))/4}\pi^{(\cos(\pi z)-1)/4}\Gamma(z/2+1).## When ##z## is odd, this is just the function I gave above. When ##z=2n## is even, it gives ##2^nn!=(2n)!##. I don't think this is standard though.
Thank you, a function like ##f(z)=2^{(1+2z-\cos(\pi z))/4}\pi^{(\cos(\pi z)-1)/4}\Gamma(z/2+1)## is exactly what I was looking for. I wonder if it would be able to define a similar such function for the tripple factorial.

1. What is a double factorial?

A double factorial is a mathematical function denoted by a pair of exclamation marks (!!) that is used to calculate the product of all integers from 1 to a given number, skipping every other integer.

2. How is a double factorial different from a regular factorial?

A regular factorial only considers the product of all integers from 1 to a given number, whereas a double factorial skips every other integer in the product. For example, the double factorial of 5 (5!!) would be calculated as 5*3*1 = 15, whereas the regular factorial of 5 (5!) would be calculated as 5*4*3*2*1 = 120.

3. Is the double factorial a continuous function?

Yes, the double factorial is a continuous function because it can be defined for any positive integer and can take on any real value. It is not limited to only integer inputs or outputs.

4. What is meant by a non-hybrid function?

A non-hybrid function is one that can be defined by a single mathematical expression or rule, without any conditions or exceptions. In the case of the double factorial, it can be defined as a continuous function without any breaks or changes in the formula.

5. How is the double factorial used in real-world applications?

The double factorial has various applications in mathematics, statistics, and physics. It is commonly used in combinatorics to calculate the number of ways to arrange objects or combinations of objects. It is also used in probability and statistical analysis, as well as in quantum mechanics to calculate probabilities of spin states in particles.