Definition of first order infinitesimal using equivalence class

• A
  • Thread starter Mike_bb
  • Start date
Mike_bb
Hello!

I'm studying Synthetic Differential Geometry and I read about model construction of SDG.
I found such source: http://www.iam.fmph.uniba.sk/amuc/_vol-73/_no_2/_giordano/giordano.pdf

I have questions about extension R to *R and about definition of first order infinitesimal using equivalence classes.
1.) I can't understand how "the class generated by h(t)=t could be a first order infinitesimal number" (see below). How is it possible? How does it work? What is idea of this?

1.jpg

2.) How is it possible to define D using the condition of limsup? How did author prove that D is an ideal of *R using properties of limsup? I can't understand it.
2.jpg

Thanks!!

Physics news on Phys.org
To prove its an ideal of a ring you need two things. It's closed under addition, and multiplying an element of the ideal by any element of the ring gives an element of the ideal. h and k are ideal elements and x is an arbitrary ring element in the proof

• Informative
Likes bhobba and Mike_bb
Office_Shredder said:
To prove its an ideal of a ring you need two things. It's closed under addition, and multiplying an element of the ideal by any element of the ring gives an element of the ideal. h and k are ideal elements and x is an arbitrary ring element in the proof
Thanks. What do you think about "the class generated by h(t)=t could be a first order infinitesimal number"? Does it mean that h(t)=t is infinitesimal function (t->0)?

Really it just means ##h(t)=t## is an element of ##D##. They're just trying to describe in words the math that is about to come

Likes Mike_bb

What is the definition of first order infinitesimal using equivalence class?

The definition of first order infinitesimal using equivalence class is a mathematical concept that involves defining infinitesimal quantities in terms of equivalence classes of functions or sequences that approach zero.

How is the concept of equivalence class related to first order infinitesimal?

The concept of equivalence class is related to first order infinitesimal in that it allows us to define infinitesimal quantities as elements of an equivalence class of functions or sequences that behave similarly near zero.

What are some examples of first order infinitesimal using equivalence class?

Examples of first order infinitesimal using equivalence class include the limit of a sequence of functions as it approaches zero, or the derivative of a function at a point.

Why is it important to define first order infinitesimal using equivalence class?

Defining first order infinitesimal using equivalence class is important because it allows us to rigorously define and work with infinitesimal quantities in a way that is consistent with the rest of mathematics.

How does the concept of first order infinitesimal using equivalence class relate to calculus?

The concept of first order infinitesimal using equivalence class is fundamental to calculus, as it allows us to define derivatives and integrals in terms of infinitesimal quantities that approach zero in a well-defined way.