Definition of function domain and range

In summary, the conversation discusses a confusion about the notation used in a Calculus exercise. The exercise asks for the domain of a function, and one of the functions given is f(x+1). The answer provided in the solution appendix is that the domain is [-1,1]. The confusion arises because f(x) and f(x+1) are not considered the same function, but rather elements of the same function. However, it is clarified that due to the horizontal shift of one unit to the left, the domain of f(x+1) is indeed [-1,1]. The concept of function transformations is mentioned, with examples of how they affect the domain and range of a function. The discussion concludes with the understanding that the domain
Zalajbeg
I am a bit confused about this matter.

While I was studying Calculus I saw an excercise like this:

The domain of f(x) [0,2] and the range is [0,1], it also shows its graphic, though it is not important it is something like a parabola, its maximum point is (1,1) and its intersection points are (0,0) and (0,2).

It asks me to show domains and ranges of some other functions. And one of them is that:

f(x+1)

It is just this, it doesn't write it like y=f(x+1) but I assume it.

Then the answer is that in solution appendix. Domain: [-1,1] and Range: [0,1]

I would be ok with it if it wrote Domain: x=[-1,1]. However if it asks the domain of the function, isn't it still the same function "f"? Shouldn't it have the same domain for its argument?

It may sound like a very small detail or useless but I really wonder your opinions.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
f(x) and f(x+1) are usually NOT the same function. Are you familiar with function transformations? The graph of f(x+1) is the graph of f(x) with a horizontal shift one unit to the left. So if the domain of f(x) is [0, 2], a horizontal shift of one unit to the left would mean that the domain of f(x+1) is [-1, 1]. The range would not change.

A couple more examples:
f(x-4) would be a horizontal shift of f(x) 4 units to the right, so the domain would be [4, 6]. The range would still be [0, 1].

f(x) + 3 would be a vertical shift of f(x) 3 units up. This time, the domain wouldn't change ([0, 2]), but the range would change to [3, 4].

eumyang said:
f(x) and f(x+1) are usually NOT the same function. Are you familiar with function transformations? The graph of f(x+1) is the graph of f(x) with a horizontal shift one unit to the left. So if the domain of f(x) is [0, 2], a horizontal shift of one unit to the left would mean that the domain of f(x+1) is [-1, 1]. The range would not change.

A couple more examples:
f(x-4) would be a horizontal shift of f(x) 4 units to the right, so the domain would be [4, 6]. The range would still be [0, 1].

f(x) + 3 would be a vertical shift of f(x) 3 units up. This time, the domain wouldn't change ([0, 2]), but the range would change to [3, 4].

Thanks for your kind answer.

However I know all the things above. I am just confused with the notation.

I have read in Calculus and Analytical Geometry 9th edition from Thomas and Finney that:

"f(x)" means the value of the function at the argument of the function is equal to x, "f" means the function.

Therefore I believe f(x) and f(x+1) are not equal but both of them are elements of the same function f.

Then I think (regarding to my example above) if it asks the domain of the function I can understand it asks me the values which can be argument of it. Therefore as both of them are the function "f", the domain must be the same.

Doesn't domain of a function mean the set of elements which can be argument of the function?

But if it is said g(x)=f(x+1), and what the domain of the "g". It is ok domain is [-1,1]

May be they wanted to state that, it is a new function like this and what is its domain by saying show the domain of the function below.

Last edited:

Related to Definition of function domain and range

What is the definition of function domain?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values that can be used to generate a corresponding output value. It is the independent variable in a function.

What is the definition of function range?

The range of a function is the set of all possible output values that can be generated from the given input values. It is the dependent variable in a function.

How do you find the domain of a function?

To find the domain of a function, you need to identify any values that would cause the function to be undefined. This includes values that would result in a division by zero or taking the square root of a negative number. Additionally, if the function is a square root or logarithmic function, the input must be greater than or equal to zero.

What is the difference between domain and range?

The domain and range of a function are two different aspects of the input-output relationship. The domain represents all the possible input values, while the range represents all the possible output values. In other words, the domain is the set of independent variables and the range is the set of dependent variables.

Why is it important to know the domain and range of a function?

Knowing the domain and range of a function is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the function. It also allows us to determine the possible inputs and outputs, as well as any restrictions on those values. This information is crucial in graphing, solving equations, and analyzing the behavior of a function.