Definition of Limit for vector fields

In summary, Apostol defines limit for vector fields as meaning that if x approaches a from the left then f(x) approaches b.
Kashmir
Apostol defines limit for vector fields as
> ##\quad \lim _{x \rightarrow a} f(x)=b \quad(\rm or\; f(x) \rightarrow b## as ##x \rightarrow a)##
means that :
##\lim _{\|x-a\| \rightarrow 0}\|f(x)-b\|=0##

Can't we say it's equivalent to ##\lim _{x \rightarrow a}(f(x)-b)=0##

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Scalars? vectors ?

##\ ##

Kashmir said:
> ##\quad \lim _{x \rightarrow a} f(x)=b \quad(\rm or\; f(x) \rightarrow b## as ##x \rightarrow a)##
means that :

You can, after you accept the definition. I think going from f(x)= b to f(x)-b is 0, is obvious, but going from lim(x->a) to lim (||x-a|| ->0) is not.
There are certainly functions where it's important that || f(x) - b || < epsilon for all the x with || x-a || < delta.

Likes Kashmir
Kashmir said:
means that :

Say ##\lim_{x \to a} f(x)=b## means, that for each neighborhood ##V_b## of ##b## there is a neighborhood ##U_a## of ##a## such that ##f(x)\in V_b## whenever ##x\in U_a\,.## If we further assume that we are dealing with topological vector spaces, then this is equivalent to ##\lim_{x-a \to 0}(f(x)-b)=0\,.## It also implies that every neighborhood contains an ##\varepsilon -##ball. Thus we can replace all neighborhoods with ##\varepsilon -##balls, i.e. the norm convergence. And metric spaces are topological vector spaces.

BvU said:
Scalars? vectors ?

##\ ##
I couldn't understand. Could you please explain what you mean?

willem2 said:
You can, after you accept the definition. I think going from f(x)= b to f(x)-b is 0, is obvious, but going from lim(x->a) to lim (||x-a|| ->0) is not.
There are certainly functions where it's important that || f(x) - b || < epsilon for all the x with || x-a || < delta.
"lim(x->a) to lim (||x-a|| ->0)" because if x->a the magnitude of difference vector ||x-a|| will tend to zero.
Is that ok?

fresh_42 said:
Say ##\lim_{x \to a} f(x)=b## means, that for each neighborhood ##V_b## of ##b## there is a neighborhood ##U_a## of ##a## such that ##f(x)\in V_b## whenever ##x\in U_a\,.## If we further assume that we are dealing with topological vector spaces, then this is equivalent to ##\lim_{x-a \to 0}(f(x)-b)=0\,.## It also implies that every neighborhood contains an ##\varepsilon -##ball. Thus we can replace all neighborhoods with ##\varepsilon -##balls, i.e. the norm convergence. And metric spaces are topological vector spaces.
Thank you for your reply. I can't understand it right now. It's beyond my learning. Hopefully I'll come back to it after studying some more. :)

What is the definition of limit for vector fields?

The limit of a vector field is the value that the field approaches as the input point gets closer and closer to a specific point. It represents the behavior of the vector field at that point.

How is the limit of a vector field calculated?

The limit of a vector field can be calculated by finding the limit of each component of the vector field separately. This can be done using techniques such as taking the limit of a function or using the squeeze theorem.

Why is the concept of limit important in vector fields?

The concept of limit is important in vector fields because it allows us to understand the behavior of the field at a specific point, even if the field is not defined at that point. It also helps us to analyze the continuity and differentiability of the vector field.

What are the conditions for a vector field to have a limit?

A vector field must have a limit at a specific point if the limit of each component of the field exists and is finite at that point. Additionally, the limit must be the same for all paths approaching the point.

How is the limit of a vector field visualized?

The limit of a vector field can be visualized by plotting the field at different points and observing how the behavior of the field changes as the points get closer to a specific point. This can help to understand the direction and magnitude of the limit at that point.