Definition of Principal Square Root?

In summary, the principal square root refers to only the non-negative root of any number, while the positive and negative roots are represented by the square root sign in equations. When writing ##\sqrt{9}##, it is assumed to be only the positive root, while equations may have both the positive and negative solutions.
bballwaterboy
Is the principle square root just the positive and negative roots of any number (as opposed to just the positive)?

I've seen some confusing definitions of this term online and thought I'd double-check with knowledgeable math people here.

Lastly, if it is just the + and - roots of any number n, then does a typical square root sign denote an operation yielding the principal square root or is it implied as just the positive root? I usually give a square root as both positive and negative.

But just wanting to be sure of official math terminology and notation here. Thanks a bunch!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The principal square root is only the non-negative root.

axmls said:
The principal square root is only the non-negative root.

Ah, I had it backwards! Thanks!

That being said, would a typical sq. root sign imply the principal or + and - roots?

When I write ##\sqrt{9}##, I mean exclusively the positive square root, so only ##+3##. If I wrote ##x^2 - 9 = 0##, then the solutions to that equation are indeed ##-3## and ##3##.

What is the definition of principal square root?

The principal square root of a number is the positive square root of that number. It is denoted by the symbol √, or simply by writing the number without any exponent.

How is principal square root calculated?

The principal square root of a number can be calculated by finding the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. For example, the principal square root of 25 is 5 because 5 x 5 = 25.

What is the difference between principal square root and square root?

The principal square root is the positive square root of a number, while the square root can be both positive and negative. For example, the square root of 25 can be either 5 or -5, but the principal square root is only 5.

What is the relationship between principal square root and perfect squares?

A perfect square is a number that has an integer as its square root. The principal square root of a perfect square is always an integer. For example, the principal square root of 9 is 3.

Can the principal square root of a negative number be a real number?

No, the principal square root of a negative number is not a real number. This is because a negative number multiplied by itself will always result in a positive number. However, in the complex number system, the principal square root of a negative number can be represented as an imaginary number.