Deflection of gravitational acceleration vector due to Sun or Moon

In summary: Q2: On a tangent, why is the moon primarily responsible for tides when the sun's gravitational acceleration at Earth is greater? Is it because the slope of 1/r2 is flatter for the Sun than it is for the moon at the distances involved?One possible reason is that the gravitational field of the moon is weaker than the gravitational field of the sun. This is because the moon is much smaller and has a smaller gravitational force. The gravitational field of the sun is stronger because it is much bigger and has a greater gravitational force.
Adrian B
On Wolfram Alpha, I get the following values for gravitational acceleration on Earth due to the sun and moon, respectively:

gravitational constant * mass of sun / (distance to sun)^2 → 0.005991 m/s2
gravitational constant * mass of moon / (distance to moon)^2 → 3.68×10-5 m/s2

If the Earth's gravitational acceleration vector is 9.8 m/s2 toward the Earth's center of mass, I'm trying to determine how much that vector is changed by the presence of the sun or moon. I think I can just say that there's a point on Earth where the Sun's 0.005991 m/s2 vector would be orthogonal to the Earth's 9.8 m/s2 vector so that I can find the angle between the Earth and Earth+Sun vector as:

Inverse Tan(.005911 / 9.8) → 0.03456°

Q1: Is this correct? It is a larger angle than I was expecting.
Q2: On a tangent, why is the moon primarily responsible for tides when the sun's gravitational acceleration at Earth is greater? Is it because the slope of 1/r2 is flatter for the Sun than it is for the moon at the distances involved?

Physics news on Phys.org
Adrian B said:
I can find the angle between the Earth and Earth+Sun vector as:

Inverse Tan(.005911 / 9.8) → 0.03456°

Q1: Is this correct? It is a larger angle than I was expecting.
Without checking the math, it looks reasonable. This gives you the angle that a ball would fall if dropped from a height onto the ground at sunrise or sunset -- if the ground were not, itself, accelerating toward the sun. Of course, the ground is accelerating sunward. If you pounded an earth-vertical stick into the ground, the ball would trace out a path parallel to the stick and you would measure an angle of zero.

Likes Adrian B

1. How does the Sun or Moon affect the gravitational acceleration vector?

The Sun and Moon both have a significant influence on the gravitational acceleration vector on Earth. Their massive bodies create a gravitational force that pulls on objects on Earth, causing them to accelerate towards the center of their masses.

2. Is the gravitational acceleration vector different for the Sun and Moon?

Yes, the gravitational acceleration vector is different for the Sun and Moon. The Sun has a much greater mass than the Moon, so its gravitational force is much stronger. However, the Moon is much closer to Earth, so its gravitational force is also significant.

3. How does the deflection of the gravitational acceleration vector affect objects on Earth?

The deflection of the gravitational acceleration vector due to the Sun and Moon has a small but noticeable effect on objects on Earth. It can cause slight changes in the tides, as well as affect the motion of satellites and other objects in orbit around Earth.

4. Can the deflection of the gravitational acceleration vector be calculated?

Yes, the deflection of the gravitational acceleration vector can be calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation. This law takes into account the masses and distances of the Sun, Moon, and Earth to determine the strength and direction of the gravitational force.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the deflection of the gravitational acceleration vector?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the deflection of the gravitational acceleration vector, such as the rotation and shape of Earth, as well as the gravitational pull of other planets and celestial bodies. These factors can cause slight variations in the gravitational force experienced on Earth.