Deliberate riseball (dimple) from a baseball pitch

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of throwing a ball with enough backspin to make it appear to rise before falling down, similar to a fastball in baseball. The concept of the Magnus effect was brought up, which can create an upward force on the ball. However, it was concluded that it is impossible for a human to throw a baseball with enough backspin for it to actually rise. The idea of using a whiffle ball was suggested as a potential alternative. It was also mentioned that a new baseball coach in high school taught the technique of throwing with backspin to make the ball seem like it is rising, but it was clarified that it is more of an optical illusion and makes the ball's path flatter.
chuckspnz
Is it possible to pitch a ball as a fastball (e.g. like in baseball) and have the ball rise to a near vertical and then fall back down to the ground. The ball would obviously have an altered design/features to cause it to lift/rise, but just wondering whether that sounds like something that could work. Apologies if this question makes no sense and completely defies the laws of physics, I am definitely not an expert rather a curious mind. I was recently at a beach throwing seashells into the water, and I noticed a few shells that I had tossed ended up flying to amazing heights when thrown at a horizontal. Wanted to know if the same could be done with something spherical.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fastball
Fastballs are usually thrown with backspin, so that the Magnus effect creates an upward force on the ball. This causes it to fall less rapidly than expected, and sometimes causes an optical illusion often called a rising fastball. Although it is impossible for a human to throw a baseball fast enough and with enough backspin for the ball to actually rise, to the batter the pitch seems to rise due to the unexpected lack of natural drop on the pitch.

Likes chuckspnz
Maybe not a baseball, but a whiffle ball, maybe? See 4:07 of this video.

Likes chuckspnz
Makes sense, thanks everyone

Likes berkeman
Back in high school, we had a new baseball coach come to our school when I was a freshman. He taught us how to pull the ball out of our glove holding 4 seams (takes practice, but becomes instinctive after a while), and how to throw the ball with strong backspin as infielders and outfielders. From the outfield, that makes the ball appear to rise for a bit, and then fall more slowly on the way to the target.

I understand now that it is a bit of an optical illusion that it rises at first, but for sure it makes the ball's path much flatter for throws across the infield or from the outfield to the infield.

1. What is a deliberate riseball from a baseball pitch?

A deliberate riseball, also known as a dimple, is a type of pitch in baseball where the pitcher intentionally throws the ball in a way that causes it to rise as it approaches the batter. This can be achieved by applying backspin to the ball, creating an air pocket underneath the ball that creates lift.

2. How is a deliberate riseball different from a regular pitch?

A deliberate riseball is different from a regular pitch in that it has a higher trajectory and appears to rise as it approaches the batter. This is due to the backspin applied to the ball, which creates lift and causes the ball to travel on a different path than a regular pitch.

3. What are the benefits of throwing a deliberate riseball?

Throwing a deliberate riseball can be beneficial for a pitcher as it can be difficult for batters to hit. The ball appears to rise, making it harder for batters to make contact. It can also be used as a surprise pitch to throw off the timing of the batter.

4. What are the challenges of throwing a deliberate riseball?

One of the main challenges of throwing a deliberate riseball is mastering the technique of applying the right amount of backspin to the ball. Too much backspin can cause the ball to rise too high and become easier to hit, while too little backspin may not create enough lift for the ball to rise.

5. Can any pitcher learn how to throw a deliberate riseball?

Yes, any pitcher can learn how to throw a deliberate riseball with practice and proper technique. It may take some time to master, but with dedication and guidance, pitchers of all levels can add this pitch to their repertoire.