Demise of TI and the Rise of Desmos

In summary, the use of graphing calculators in schools is becoming outdated, similar to how slide rules were replaced in the late 1970's. Some argue that using fancy calculators results in less learning and understanding of mathematics, while others believe they have advantages such as quickly visualizing functions and reducing manual labor. However, there is a growing push to replace graphing calculators with online tools or smartphones to reduce costs and improve equity among students.
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't like the use of the word "finally" in the title.

So what are they going to do, let every student use their phone? What could possibly go wrong?
Have a special device that can only access the online calculator tool? That costs money.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
Teaching mathematics with a fancy calculator results in idiocracy. The teacher does no work and the students do no work, learning nothing; everybody is happy.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
Fred Wright said:
Teaching mathematics with a fancy calculator results in idiocracy. The teacher does no work and the students do no work, learning nothing; everybody is happy.
Did you learn or teach with a graphical calculator or where does that opinion come from?

At least in Germany, the same things that have been done without the calculator are still done - without the calculator. In addition, the calculator is used for some problems where calculating integrals or derivatives is not the point of the question.

mfb said:
Did you learn or teach with a graphical calculator or where does that opinion come from?

At least in Germany, the same things that have been done without the calculator are still done - without the calculator. In addition, the calculator is used for some problems where calculating integrals or derivatives is not the point of the question.
I have to admit that I learned and taught math before the advent of fancy calculators (I'm an old man). When I was a student of, say algebra, I took pencil to paper and solved numerous equations. This developed my intuition for algebraic problems. The same held true for trig and calculus. This intuition I developed through putting pencil to paper, having to physically expand each step of the calculation, served me well in my undergraduate and graduate training in physics. It's the way people have learned math for over a thousand years and it's worked pretty well so far. My point is that by short circuiting the steps of a calculation with a fancy calculator you induce blindness for mathematical comprehension and intuition. But as I said, I'm old; "kids these days!"

Likes CalcNerd and Aufbauwerk 2045
Fred Wright said:
My point is that by short circuiting the steps of a calculation with a fancy calculator you induce blindness for mathematical comprehension and intuition.

Don't discount the advantages of having a calculator. Especially a graphing calculator. You can quickly look at how functions behave when you change variables, compare different functions, and many other things that are tedious and error-prone when doing them by hand. They relieve you of much of the "manual labor" when it comes to calculations, freeing you to focus on comprehending the problem instead of worrying about whether your long division was correct or if you remembered what sin(π/3) was correctly.

Fred Wright said:
When I was a student of, say algebra, I took pencil to paper and solved numerous equations. This developed my intuition for algebraic problems. The same held true for trig and calculus. This intuition I developed through putting pencil to paper, having to physically expand each step of the calculation, served me well in my undergraduate and graduate training in physics. It's the way people have learned math for over a thousand years and it's worked pretty well so far.
That is still done! At least in Germany.

What is done with graphical calculators is something in addition. It doesn't replace the pen and paper calculations.

“We think students shouldn’t have to buy this old, underpowered device anymore,” Desmos CEO Eli Luberoff tells Quartz. “It’s a huge source of inequity, and it’s just not the best way to learn.”

So instead of a calculator for a college algebra class, you'll be required to have a smartphone?

Thread reopened following some pruning.

Last edited:

1. What is the "Demise of TI and the Rise of Desmos"?

The "Demise of TI and the Rise of Desmos" refers to the shift in popularity and usage of graphing calculators from traditional brands like Texas Instruments (TI) to newer, web-based graphing tools like Desmos.

2. Why are TI calculators losing popularity?

TI calculators are losing popularity due to their high cost, limited functionality, and the rise of alternative graphing tools that offer more features and accessibility.

3. How does Desmos compare to TI calculators?

Desmos offers many features that TI calculators do not, such as the ability to graph multiple functions at once, visualize transformations, and easily share graphs with others. Desmos is also free to use and can be accessed on any device with internet access.

4. Are there any advantages to using a TI calculator over Desmos?

Some people may argue that TI calculators have a longer battery life and are allowed on standardized tests, while Desmos is not. However, with the increasing use of technology in education, this advantage may become less significant over time.

5. Will TI calculators become obsolete?

It is possible that TI calculators may become less popular and eventually obsolete as more and more students and professionals turn to alternative graphing tools like Desmos. However, TI calculators still have a strong presence in the education system and may continue to be used for the foreseeable future.