Derivation of parametric Equations?

In summary: The position of a point on the wheel is going to be a function of ω, θ and ##t##.If this isn't close I have no hope, is the function x=rcos(ωt+θ) and y=rsin(ωt+θ) ? Sorry about being so bad at this
Mark Rice

Homework Statement

Hi, so confused abou this question that I probably haven't even posted it in the correct section.Here's the question.

A wheel of radius ,r, is situated at the top of a ramp having an angle θ = π/6 rad. At t= 0 the wheel is at rest with its centre at coordinates (0,r) and then it starts to rotate clockwise, without slipping, in the positive x direction with constant angular velocity ω.

Find the parametric equations of the x and y coordinates of the point p (green dot on graph) with respect to the t >= 0, assuming the initial co-ordinates are at (0, 2r).

Homework Equations

I think possibly ω=ω+at but I don't even know what is going on. If it helps in anyway I know the circle has centre (0, r) radius r so the equation would be x^2 + (y-r)^2 = r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The reason I'm so confused is that I'm sure they haven't taught us this work yet. I think I do it by working out the parabola motion of p then split that into equations for the horizontal and vertical motion, but literally no idea how I would even go about doing that let alone writting it down mathematically. ANY help would be great. Thanks.

Attachments

• Graph maths.png
    Graph maths.png
    4 KB · Views: 468
Physics news on Phys.org
Mark Rice said:

Homework Statement

Hi, so confused abou this question that I probably haven't even posted it in the correct section.Here's the question.

A wheel of radius ,r, is situated at the top of a ramp having an angle θ = π/6 rad. At t= 0 the wheel is at rest with its centre at coordinates (0,r) and then it starts to rotate clockwise, without slipping, in the positive x direction with constant angular velocity ω.

Find the parametric equations of the x and y coordinates of the point p (green dot on graph) with respect to the t >= 0, assuming the initial co-ordinates are at (0, 2r).

Homework Equations

I think possibly ω=ω+at but I don't even know what is going on. If it helps in anyway I know the circle has centre (0, r) radius r so the equation would be x^2 + (y-r)^2 = r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The reason I'm so confused is that I'm sure they haven't taught us this work yet. I think I do it by working out the parabola motion of p then split that into equations for the horizontal and vertical motion, but literally no idea how I would even go about doing that let alone writting it down mathematically. ANY help would be great. Thanks.

Why not break the problem down: first work out the equation for the centre of the wheel (x(t), y(t)); then work out the position of the point p relative to that.

PeroK said:
Why not break the problem down: first work out the equation for the centre of the wheel (x(t), y(t)); then work out the position of the point p relative to that.

I honestly don't even know how to do that. I think the point might posibly y(t)=2π/t but am pretty sure that's not right?

Mark Rice said:
I honestly don't even know how to do that. I think the point might posibly y(t)=2π/t but am pretty sure that's not right?
I've just realized that is not even close to being right...

PeroK said:
I understand what you're saying to do, but I'm not sure how I acutally work that out though

PeroK said:
is the parametric equation y(t)=1/2π t sin (π/6)

Mark Rice said:
I understand what you're saying to do, but I'm not sure how I acutally work that out though

Well, you have to decide whether to attempt this problem. Could you work out the parametric equations for a point on a wheel moving along horizontally? That would be a simpler problem.

Mark Rice said:
is the parametric equation y(t)=1/2π t sin (π/6)

The position of a point on the wheel is going to be a function of ω, θ and ##t##.

PeroK said:
The position of a point on the wheel is going to be a function of ω, θ and ##t##.
If this isn't close I have no hope, is the function x=rcos(ωt+θ) and y=rsin(ωt+θ) ? Sorry about being so bad at this

Mark Rice said:
If this isn't close I have no hope, is the function x=rcos(ωt+θ) and y=rsin(ωt+θ) ? Sorry about being so bad at this
PeroK said:
Sorry just realized that they are wrong I think they should be x=vt+rsin(ωt+θ) and y=y0+rcos(ωt+θ) but this is for horizontal movement so how do I work it out for on a slope?

Mark Rice said:

You'll not get anywhere just guessing! Try the problem along the flat. First, you have to work out how fast the wheel is moving. Second, you'll have to work out where point p is relative to the centre of the wheel.

If you can do this, then you can extend the solution to be down the slope.

PeroK said:
You'll not get anywhere just guessing! Try the problem along the flat. First, you have to work out how fast the wheel is moving. Second, you'll have to work out where point p is relative to the centre of the wheel.

If you can do this, then you can extend the solution to be down the slope.

Really sorry but I literally have no idea what is going on in this question so am going to just leave it. Greatly appreciate all the help you gave but I'm way too confused. Thanks anyway :)

1. What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that describe the relationship between two or more variables, typically represented by a parameter. These equations are useful for describing curves and other complex shapes that cannot be described by a single equation.

2. How are parametric equations derived?

Parametric equations can be derived by starting with a set of Cartesian equations and finding a relationship between the variables using a parameter. This parameter can then be used to create a set of equations that describe the curve or shape in terms of the parameter.

3. What are the advantages of using parametric equations?

Parametric equations have several advantages, including the ability to describe complex curves and shapes that cannot be described by Cartesian equations. They also allow for easier manipulation and analysis of curves, as well as the ability to represent motion and change over time.

4. What are some real-world applications of parametric equations?

Parametric equations have numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to model the motion of objects, describe the shape of complex structures, and create realistic animations of natural phenomena.

5. Are there any limitations to using parametric equations?

While parametric equations have many advantages, they also have some limitations. One major limitation is that they can only describe curves and shapes in two dimensions. Additionally, they may be more difficult for some people to visualize and understand compared to Cartesian equations.