Derivatives and differentials

In summary, when the point is at P = (1/7, 1/7), its y-coordinate is increasing at a speed of 3 units/second in the direction of the x-coordinate.
marshmallow1
A point is moving on the graph of

3x^2 + 4y^3 = xyWhen the point is at P = (1/7, 1/7)

its y-coordinate is increasing at a speed of 3
units per second.
What is the speed of the x-coordinate at
that time and in which direction is the xcoordinate
moving?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome to MHB! (Wave)

We are given the curve:

\(\displaystyle 3x^2+4y^3=xy\)

In order to answer the given question, it will be helpful to implicitly differentiate with respect to time $t$...in doing so, what do you get?

hi thanks!

would you get

9x + 12y (dy/dx) = xy

I am not entirely sure how to differentiate in respect to timeAlso sorry the equation before was 3x^3+4y^3 = xy
the first exponent being wrong in my first post. either way it will help me to learn how its done

Last edited:
marshmallow said:
hi thanks!

would you get

9x + 12y (dy/dx) = xy

I am not entirely sure how to differentiate in respect to timeAlso sorry the equation before was 3x^3+4y^3 = xy
the first exponent being wrong in my first post. either way it will help me to learn how its done

We consider that both $x$ and $y$ are functions of time $t$, and so beginning with:

\(\displaystyle 3x^3+4y^3=xy\)

We apply on the left the power and chain rules, and on the right the product and chain rules to obtain:

\(\displaystyle 9x^2\d{x}{t}+12y^2\d{y}{t}=\d{x}{t}y+x\d{y}{t}\)

We are being asked to find \(\displaystyle \d{x}{t}\), and so solving for that, what do you obtain?

To follow up, we get:

\(\displaystyle \d{x}{t}=\frac{\d{y}{t}\left(x-12y^2\right)}{9x^2-y}\)

Plugging in the given values, we find:

\(\displaystyle \d{x}{t}=\frac{\dfrac{3}{7}\left(1-\dfrac{12}{7}\right)}{\dfrac{1}{7}\left(\dfrac{9}{7}-1\right)}=\frac{3(7-12)}{9-7}=-\frac{15}{2}\)

And so the x-coordinate is moving at 7.5 units/second to the left.

1. What are derivatives and differentials?

Derivatives and differentials are mathematical concepts used to measure the rate of change of a function. They are often referred to as the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. How are derivatives and differentials calculated?

Derivatives and differentials are calculated using the rules of differentiation, which involve taking the limit of a function as the change in input approaches zero. This can be done using various methods such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule.

3. What are the practical applications of derivatives and differentials?

Derivatives and differentials have numerous practical applications in fields such as physics, economics, engineering, and finance. They are used to model and analyze the behavior of systems and predict future outcomes.

4. What is the relationship between derivatives and differentials?

Derivatives and differentials are closely related as they both measure the rate of change of a function. The derivative is the instantaneous rate of change at a specific point, while the differential is the change in the output for a small change in the input.

5. How can derivatives and differentials be used to optimize a function?

Derivatives and differentials can be used to optimize a function by finding the points where the derivative is equal to zero, known as critical points. These points can then be used to determine the maximum or minimum value of the function, which is useful for solving optimization problems.