Derivatives and equilibrium position of a spring

In summary, a spring has potential energy at the equilibrium position, but you can add an arbitrary constant to the potential energy without changing any physics. If you want a derivative-free solution, you can set the net force on the end of the spring to zero and solve for the tension in the spring required to meet that condition.
lonewolf219
I determined the equilibrium point of a spring by setting the potential energy function U(r) equal to zero and solving for r. But I just looked at the guided solution, and they took the derivative of U(r) first, then solved for r.

Is my approach correct? Can we solve for the equilibrium position of a spring without taking any derivatives?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi lonewolf219! :smile:
lonewolf219 said:
I determined the equilibrium point of a spring by setting the potential energy function U(r) equal to zero and solving for r.

you must somehow have chosen your constant in such a way that that happened to work

potential energy is only unique up to a constant

eg with gravitational potential energy we often set it equal to 0 "at infinity", or at the level of the lab floor :wink:

Thanks Tiny Tim! But I thought that a spring has zero potential energy and maximum kinetic energy at the equilibrium position ? Am I wrong?

lonewolf219 said:
Is my approach correct? Can we solve for the equilibrium position of a spring without taking any derivatives?

Solving for the zero of the potential energy function is bogus, because you can always add an arbitrary constant to the potential energy without changing any physics. So if you got the right answer, you got lucky in your choice of zero point (which is pretty easy to do in a lot of simple systems). On the other hand, adding an arbitrary constant won't affect the derivative, so if you're going to use energy methods the derivative approach is always correct (which may be why they're teaching it to you).

If you want a derivative-free solution, you can set the net force on the end of the spring to zero, solve for the tension in the spring required to meet that condition. That can be very hard to do in the general case of time-varying forces acting on the spring, such as if there's a weight bouncing around on the end. For that problem, you'll likely find that minimizing the potential energy by looking for the zeroes of the first derivative is easiest.

Likes 1 person
Nugatory said:
Solving for the zero of the potential energy function is bogus …

bogus! that's the word i was looking for!

thanks, Nugatory :smile:
lonewolf219 said:
Thanks Tiny Tim! But I thought that a spring has zero potential energy and maximum kinetic energy at the equilibrium position ? Am I wrong?

it only has has zero potential energy at the equilibrium position if you define it that way …

and if you know enough about the equilibrium position in the first place, to define it that way, then why did you ever need to solve anything?

bogus! :rolleyes:

Likes 1 person
Okay, thanks guys. I noticed it worked for another problem but as Nugatory mentioned, it must be luck with simple systems

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is the slope of a tangent line to the function at that point and can be used to find the instantaneous rate of change of a variable.

2. How are derivatives used in the context of a spring?

In the context of a spring, derivatives can be used to determine the spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. The derivative of the force with respect to displacement is equal to the spring constant, and it can also be used to calculate the potential energy stored in the spring.

3. What is the equilibrium position of a spring?

The equilibrium position of a spring is the point at which the spring is at rest or has no net force acting on it. This is typically the point where the spring is neither compressed nor stretched and is in its natural or relaxed state.

4. How is the equilibrium position affected by changes in the spring constant?

The equilibrium position is directly affected by changes in the spring constant. A higher spring constant will result in a shorter equilibrium position, while a lower spring constant will result in a longer equilibrium position. This means that a stiffer spring will have a shorter natural length than a more flexible spring.

5. Can the equilibrium position of a spring be changed?

Yes, the equilibrium position of a spring can be changed by altering the external forces acting on the spring or by changing the spring constant. For example, the equilibrium position of a spring can be shifted by adding weights to one end or by adjusting the position of the spring on a surface. Changing the spring constant can also change the equilibrium position, as a stiffer or more flexible spring will have a different natural length.