Derive energy density proportional to emitted power per unit area

In summary, the relationship for energy density in a blackbody radiation is derived by considering an element of surface area and the energy it emits in one second. The resulting energy density is proportional to the energy emitted per unit time and area from the surface.
Happiness
The following derives the relation that for a blackbody radiation the energy density is proportional to the energy emitted per unit area over unit time.

The average energy density ##d\psi## is obtained by dividing the radiant energy ##dE## received by the surface ##dB## in 1 second by the cylindrical volume ##dV## occupied by the radiation in 1 second.

I don't understand why ##d\psi## is uniform anywhere inside the cylinder, in particular, at points near the surface ##dS##. At a point far away from ##dS##, the point is always the same distance ##\rho## away from every part of ##dS##. But this is not true for a point near ##dS##. The point would be closer to some parts of ##dS##. Then the energy density ##d\psi## at the point should not be uniform but vary depending on how far the point is from the center of the surface ##dS##.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy density ##d\psi## at any point in the cylinder is proportional to the energy emitted per unit time and area from the surface ##dS##, i.e., ##d\psi \propto E/A \cdot t##.We can derive this relation by considering an element of surface area ##dA## of the surface ##dS## and the energy it emits in one second, ##E/A \cdot t##. This energy spreads out in a spherical wave with an intensity ##I##, where ##I = E/A \cdot t##. The total energy emitted by the surface is equal to the energy of the wave at any distance ##r## from the surface, i.e., ##E = 4 \pi r^2 I##.The energy density at any point in the cylinder is then given by the energy of the wave divided by the cylindrical volume, i.e., $$d\psi = \frac{4 \pi r^2 I}{\pi r^2 h} = \frac{4I}{h} $$where h is the height of the cylinder.Therefore, the energy density at any point in the cylinder is proportional to the energy emitted per unit time and area from the surface ##dS##, i.e., ##d\psi \propto E/A \cdot t##.

Related to Derive energy density proportional to emitted power per unit area

1. What is the concept of energy density proportional to emitted power per unit area?

The concept of energy density proportional to emitted power per unit area is a physical law that states that the energy density of an electromagnetic wave is directly proportional to the power emitted per unit area by the source of the wave.

2. How is the energy density calculated for an electromagnetic wave?

The energy density of an electromagnetic wave can be calculated by dividing the power emitted by the source of the wave by the surface area that the wave is passing through.

3. Is the energy density of an electromagnetic wave constant?

No, the energy density of an electromagnetic wave is not constant. It varies depending on the power emitted by the source and the surface area that the wave is passing through.

4. What is the relationship between energy density and intensity of an electromagnetic wave?

The intensity of an electromagnetic wave is directly proportional to the energy density of the wave. This means that as the energy density increases, the intensity of the wave also increases.

5. How does the energy density of an electromagnetic wave affect its potential to do work?

The energy density of an electromagnetic wave is directly related to its potential to do work. A higher energy density means that the wave has a greater potential to do work, such as heating objects or powering devices.