Deriving adjoint equation of an Optimal Control Problem

In summary: Your name]In summary, the conversation discusses a Transient Optimal Heating Problem with distributed control and Dirichlet condition, and the need to derive the adjoint equation for this problem. The steps to derive the adjoint equation involve using the Lagrangian Function, Divergence Theorem, and Integration by Parts. The resulting equation will have a similar form to the original problem, but with the roles of the variables interchanged. Further assistance from colleagues or experts is recommended for successfully deriving the adjoint equation.
Chung
Dear all,

I am investigating a Transient Optimal Heating Problem with distributed control and Dirichlet condition. The following are the mathematical expression of the problem:

upload_2015-9-21_20-54-19.png
Where Ω is the domain,
Γ is the boundary,
y is the temperature distribution,
u is the control,
yΩ is the optimal temperature distribution,
yD is some known temperature on Γ (i.e. Dirichlet condition),
λ and κ are some real constant.

I want to find the adjoint equation for the above problem, I found on some articles that I need to use Lagrangian Function and Divergence Theorem with Integration by Parts to derive the adjoint equation.

In other words, consider d/dε [L(y+εz,u,λ)] =0 and put ε=0, where L(y,u,λ) is the Lagrangian Function.

However, I could not keep going and derive the adjoint equation. I do not know how to apply Divergence Theorem with Integration by Parts to get the adjoint equation.

Can anyone help me to derive the adjoint equation?

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow researcher,

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. The Transient Optimal Heating Problem with distributed control and Dirichlet condition is a complex and interesting topic. As you have mentioned, the adjoint equation is an important part of solving this problem.

To derive the adjoint equation, we need to follow the steps you have mentioned. First, we need to consider the Lagrangian Function L(y,u,λ) and take its derivative with respect to ε, as shown in your equation d/dε [L(y+εz,u,λ)] =0. Then, we need to put ε=0 to obtain the adjoint equation.

To continue, we need to use the Divergence Theorem and Integration by Parts. The Divergence Theorem states that the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of that vector field over the enclosed volume. This theorem can be applied to our problem by considering the temperature distribution y and its gradient ∇y as a vector field.

Next, we need to use Integration by Parts to transform the volume integral into a surface integral. This step involves applying the product rule to the function u and its derivative ∇u. This will result in a surface integral involving the control u and its adjoint λ.

By combining the results of the Divergence Theorem and Integration by Parts, we can obtain the adjoint equation in terms of the temperature distribution y, the control u, and the adjoint λ. This equation will have a similar form to the original problem, but with the roles of y and λ interchanged.

I hope this explanation helps you in deriving the adjoint equation for your problem. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to ask for help from your colleagues or consult with an expert in this field. I wish you all the best in your research.

Related to Deriving adjoint equation of an Optimal Control Problem

1. What is the purpose of deriving the adjoint equation in an Optimal Control Problem?

The adjoint equation in an Optimal Control Problem serves as a necessary tool for solving the associated optimal control problem. It helps in determining the optimal control and the corresponding optimal state.

2. What is the mathematical formulation of the adjoint equation?

The adjoint equation is a partial differential equation that is obtained by taking the derivative of the Hamiltonian function with respect to the state variables.

3. How does the adjoint equation relate to the optimal control problem?

The adjoint equation is derived from the optimal control problem and is an essential component in finding the optimal control and state. It is used to determine the necessary conditions for optimality.

4. What is the significance of the adjoint equation in optimal control theory?

The adjoint equation plays a crucial role in optimal control theory as it provides a way to solve the optimal control problem by transforming it into an equivalent boundary value problem. It also helps in understanding the sensitivity of the optimal control to changes in the problem parameters.

5. Can the adjoint equation be used in practical applications?

Yes, the adjoint equation is widely used in various fields such as aerospace engineering, economics, and robotics, to name a few. It is a powerful tool for solving optimal control problems and has practical applications in industries and research.